starting strength gym
Page 1919 of 2422 FirstFirst ... 9191419181918691909191719181919192019211929196920192419 ... LastLast
Results 19,181 to 19,190 of 24219

Thread: Joined a new gym last night. Hilarious

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Dude works at a supplement store. Of course he can squat 800 at 160. He has all the supplements. Duh.
    I'll take whatever he's taking. I don't care if I'm not allowed to compete in USAPL anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by bugbomb View Post
    Welcome home, threadfather.
    Y'know, I wonder if I could get this put under my name...

Quote Originally Posted by turnip View Post
    So you're the bastard that's responsible for my recent lack of productivity?

Thanks! ;-)
    The struggle is real. Although, I don't know how some of you have the patience to go grouch every page

Orangetheory? 10 classes for $320. A relative bargain in NY:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/03/ny...ness.html?_r=0

Quote Originally Posted by iamsmuts View Post
    Orangetheory? 10 classes for $320. A relative bargain in NY:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/03/ny...ness.html?_r=0
    These are popping up everywhere where I live lately...

I think I could go to LA fitness for an entire year for 275$ in Az if you signed up at the right time.....I guess there's a coaching element to the OTheory thing tho....oh, and you get an HR monitor too.

As usual, the NYT takes very obvious, if tired and tedious, political positions on everything...is the Grey Lady dead yet? Someone put it out of it's misery, please...

Every era gets the fitness culture it is meant to have. The aerobics craze, propelled by Jane Fonda, took off in the 1980s when the hedonism that distinguished the ’70s began to give way to a new urban ethic of busyness, long hours and the march toward more and more money. [whose experience of the 70s was a March towards more and more money? This was likely written by someone not born until the 90s] Beginning in the ’90s and continuing into this century, cities like New York and Los Angeles saw the rise of high-end gyms (David Barton, Equinox), which ensured that working out, like drinking coffee, would become another socially tiered experience with occupiers of top tax brackets doing it one way and secretaries and civil servants [are we to believe that "civil servants" aren't the best paid class with the least to do? Seriously!? The phrase "nice work if you can get it" comes to mind.] another — left to leg lifts in front of their televisions or discounted gyms that did not aim to make you feel special.
    Last edited by Pluripotent; 01-03-2016 at 08:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pluripotent View Post
    [W]hose experience of the 70s was a March towards more and more money?
    Well, since I got my first real-world fulltime job in the 70s, I guess me I notice we've got one of these orange doo-dads here in Boulder (trendy little burg that we are). I also notice that nowhere on their webpage is the actual cost of one of their many tiers of membership discussed. I guess if you have to ask you can't afford it.

Quote Originally Posted by olddognewtricks View Post
    I guess if you have to ask you can't afford it.
    Same goes for most houses in Boulder now days. I've seen bungalows listed for a cool million. . . . I was looking for a SS coach in Boulder a while back for my sister. I was sure that there would be some. Nope. Seems like there would be a market there.

Clearly written by someone who wasn't around in the 70's. Wages weren't all that great and didn't get better to any appreciable degree until Carter was out of the picture. The double digit inflation made any wage increase nigh-on worthless, and the taxes levied on overtime was a real disincentive to put in anything extra.

starting strength coach development program
    Mark,

I'd argue that the core readership of the Times was largely unconcerned with wages.