starting strength gym
Page 2011 of 2422 FirstFirst ... 1011151119111961200120092010201120122013202120612111 ... LastLast
Results 20,101 to 20,110 of 24219

Thread: Joined a new gym last night. Hilarious

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasingCurls69 View Post
    I thought this was the NYSC I work at until you said the inadequate weight room was on the first floor instead of the 3rd floor.
    In NYC, all the NYSC are essentially multi-level, with the barbell section being in the smallest/shittiest area. If the one you go to has a "pool" (read: bathtub) in the basement, then I used to go to that one as well. DBs were down in the basement. Was like working out in a sauna in the summer.

Have another NYSC story from this past weekend. For this thread, it might qualify as a campfire story, told to young lifters to scare them away from big box gyms forever. So gather round.

It's Saturday, 2PM. Walk into the gym and immediately, something feels off. Usually on Sat afternoon, nobody is in the gym, except one or two assholes using the only squat rack to do something ridiculous. But today, right by the front desk, there were literally 40-50 Asian college-aged students. Just standing there, most not even wearing gym clothes - jeans, button down shirts, skirts on the girls. My spidey sense says this is all very wrong, but I ignore it.

I venture to the basement lair and see the squat rack is open. Praise Jesus. I notice another 25-30 more Asian college-aged students, mostly girls, near the benches/DBs, where I am switching out the bent bar from the squat rack (aka warmup farmer's carries). Are they here to workout? Given that 4-5 of them are sitting on the equipment as if they were park benches, I'm assuming no. Very odd, but the squat rack is open so I pay it no mind.

I do my squats. Notice some sort of "competition" going on near the benches. Luckily, as I finish, the whole room clears out (50+ people at this point in <1000 square feet). I make my way over to the bench area, now cleared. Do my bench reps. Almost home, this has worked out perfectly, I think. But I was so wrong.

Time for cleans.

And then they came, streaming down the stairs like a flood. 20, 30, 40 of them. I lost count. I'm on set 3 of my cleans, almost done. They keep coming. Set 4, dear god I'm almost there. Something is going on near the benches, which are less than 10 feet away. There are so many of them, I can't even see what it is, nor do I care. A group of 5-10 girls comes over and starts sitting near the bench in front of me. I'm cleaning in about the smallest area one could clean in. Mirrors at my back, decline bench at my right, a post on my left. I bend down to get my last set of cleans in and another group comes over and starts LITERALLY stepping over the bar, then just standing there. To do a clean would mean putting the end of the barbell up someone's ass.

I consider this. But no, I am a pussy, and I let the opportunity pass. At this point, more of them are streaming down. I can barely see the barbell at this point. I'm being drowned in a sea of Asian college-aged student.

I pick up my shit and just walk out of the gym. Don't rack the weights, which is fucked up, I know. But any gym that allows that sort of circus deserves to pick up their own shit. Fuck you NYSC. Fuck you.

Quote Originally Posted by niz19 View Post
    In NYC, all the NYSC are essentially multi-level, with the barbell section being in the smallest/shittiest area. If the one you go to has a "pool" (read: bathtub) in the basement, then I used to go to that one as well. DBs were down in the basement. Was like working out in a sauna in the summer.

Have another NYSC story from this past weekend. For this thread, it might qualify as a campfire story, told to young lifters to scare them away from big box gyms forever. So gather round.

It's Saturday, 2PM. Walk into the gym and immediately, something feels off. Usually on Sat afternoon, nobody is in the gym, except one or two assholes using the only squat rack to do something ridiculous. But today, right by the front desk, there were literally 40-50 Asian college-aged students. Just standing there, most not even wearing gym clothes - jeans, button down shirts, skirts on the girls. My spidey sense says this is all very wrong, but I ignore it.

I venture to the basement lair and see the squat rack is open. Praise Jesus. I notice another 25-30 more Asian college-aged students, mostly girls, near the benches/DBs, where I am switching out the bent bar from the squat rack (aka warmup farmer's carries). Are they here to workout? Given that 4-5 of them are sitting on the equipment as if they were park benches, I'm assuming no. Very odd, but the squat rack is open so I pay it no mind.

I do my squats. Notice some sort of "competition" going on near the benches. Luckily, as I finish, the whole room clears out (50+ people at this point in <1000 square feet). I make my way over to the bench area, now cleared. Do my bench reps. Almost home, this has worked out perfectly, I think. But I was so wrong.

Time for cleans.

And then they came, streaming down the stairs like a flood. 20, 30, 40 of them. I lost count. I'm on set 3 of my cleans, almost done. They keep coming. Set 4, dear god I'm almost there. Something is going on near the benches, which are less than 10 feet away. There are so many of them, I can't even see what it is, nor do I care. A group of 5-10 girls comes over and starts sitting near the bench in front of me. I'm cleaning in about the smallest area one could clean in. Mirrors at my back, decline bench at my right, a post on my left. I bend down to get my last set of cleans in and another group comes over and starts LITERALLY stepping over the bar, then just standing there. To do a clean would mean putting the end of the barbell up someone's ass.

I consider this. But no, I am a pussy, and I let the opportunity pass. At this point, more of them are streaming down. I can barely see the barbell at this point. I'm being drowned in a sea of Asian college-aged student.

I pick up my shit and just walk out of the gym. Don't rack the weights, which is fucked up, I know. But any gym that allows that sort of circus deserves to pick up their own shit. Fuck you NYSC. Fuck you.
    Made me think of these lyrics
    Well I don't know why I came here tonight,
    I got the feeling that something ain't right,
    I'm so scared in case I fall off my chair,
    And I'm wondering how I'll get down the stairs,
    Clowns to the left of me,
    Jokers to the right, here I am,
    Stuck in the middle with you
    Yes I'm stuck in the middle with you,
    And I'm wondering what it is I should do,
    It's so hard to keep this smile from my face,
    Losing control, yeah, I'm all over the place,
    Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right,
    Here I am, stuck in the middle with you

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    sdf_1_beta: dem #goodcredit #highcreditscore dedlyfts

philipfitness82: Thanks @sdf_1_beta
    I asked him about some sweet ass lifting gloves. You know, for grip.

I saw that! He responded with absolutely opaque advice. Excellent.
    I find subtle trolling to be just as much.

hate myself for looking at this for more than 5 minutes but the video of him giving money to the homeless guy really pissed me off.

He even talks about how "significantly large" the bill was that he handed to the guy. DICK.

Also, unrelated sighting the other day at NYSC. I walk in and see about 10 women running down the stairs, all in a line, holding little pink and red dumbbells over their heads. The NYSC I go to is 3 stories, so they were running from the top level (cardio machines) to the middle level (cardio machines) to the bottom level (500 square foot weight room FML). As I walk down the stairs, I hear a dickhead trainer yell from somewhere upstairs "I can see you ALL!!!!"

And then some guy was using the only squat rack to do hack squats for 20 minutes.
    23rd and park?

Could you tell if they were American or international students?

I live in China and this is what I regularly deal with:

*Walk under the barbell while squatting/pressing/benching
    *Steal a plate off the barbell when I go to throw something away/pee
    *Steal a plate that they don't think I'm using without asking.
    *Use my chalk without asking.
    *Walk up to my phone and check out my sets/reps/timer without asking
    *Walking over the barbell while preparing to deadlift/power clean
    *People who run into the rack/to the barbell right after you finish a set and attempt to "one up you" or "see how heavy it is"
    *People running to my aid and lifting the bar when it looks like I'm struggling to them. This even happened once while deadlifting.
    *Other

I've accidentally hit one person while power cleaning because they walked past me from behind, and have purposely bumped 2 or 3 people who kept needlessly walking under the barbell while I was pressing/benching. I would say I need to tell someone at least one a month to back away while I have a heavy set on my back as well.

And there was one day when this older man was literally running to every person lifting and helping them finish the last rep. Most people lift in pairs here (1 pulls 1 presses) and so they didn't mind, but I got really angry at him when he ruined my bench set. The gym staff has done this 2 or 3 times as well, and as nice as they are, I've snapped at them pretty hard for it.

sdf_1_beta: dem #goodcredit #highcreditscore dedlyfts

philipfitness82: Thanks @sdf_1_beta
    A finally I can put a name with the face. Thanks mgilchrest! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by allent View Post
    You juse need a training partner to keep the other people away from you.
    Better, you need a house with a garage or basement, and your own gym there so you can train alone in the way KOTJ intended.

At work:

"I used to bench three hundred in high school."

me, quietly nodding

"Four plate bench, six plate squat, then run drills"

Me, quietly nodding... and trying to do the mental math. 8x45+45=405. Hmm. Maybe he's counting the total number of plates equaling 4? Ok, but that's 225. Either way, it's not adding up to 300. I continue going down a rabbit hole trying to figure out in what way a multiple of four + bar = 300, as I fill my coffee cup. Bromath. It must be Bromath.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by dhalli View Post
    At work:

"I used to bench three hundred in high school."

me, quietly nodding

"Four plate bench, six plate squat, then run drills"

Me, quietly nodding... and trying to do the mental math. 8x45+45=405. Hmm. Maybe he's counting the total number of plates equaling 4? Ok, but that's 225. Either way, it's not adding up to 300. I continue going down a rabbit hole trying to figure out in what way a multiple of four + bar = 300, as I fill my coffee cup. Bromath. It must be Bromath.
    Almost certainly 225 rounded up to 300 and 315.