starting strength gym
Page 21 of 2422 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331711215211021 ... LastLast

Thread: Joined a new gym last night. Hilarious

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Trainee yesterday was instructed to do tricep pushups from a bench behind the back - even with the feet on the FLOOR - dipping only about 1-2".
    The instructor actually said "Good, that's it!"

"It" for what? Keeping her job? Tying up the bench?

Quote Originally Posted by PVC View Post
    Guy doing behind-the-neck push presses.
    Hmm? These are a legit exercise used by weightlifters, sometimes in snatch grip as well.

I'm sorry, but this thread is pretty ridiculous. It seems like a lot of the comments here are "some guy was doing an exercise not endorsed by Rippetoe so he's an idiot!".

Some guy doing squats on an exercise ball while naked is something to notice in a gym. Some skinny guy, who doesn't know better, doing half bench presses isn't.

I also don't understand how people get upset by anything in a gym that doesn't directly affect them. E.g. I can understand getting upset if an unwanted spotter lifts the weight for you on your last rep. But shit like 'I saw some guy doing 405lb quarter squats thinking he was the man and it infuriated me'...who the fuck cares? There will always be people in the gym who don't know better and/or don't want to learn. Why does this matter to you?

Quote Originally Posted by PVC View Post
    Why would I want to start anything with this chick? She was only a 3, after all.
    Maybe you can rehot her to an 8 or even advance her to 9 or 10 by bringing her to deadlift.

Quote Originally Posted by elVarouza View Post
    I'm sorry, but this thread is pretty ridiculous. It seems like a lot of the comments here are "some guy was doing an exercise not endorsed by Rippetoe so he's an idiot!".

Some guy doing squats on an exercise ball while naked is something to notice in a gym. Some skinny guy, who doesn't know better, doing half bench presses isn't.

I also don't understand how people get upset by anything in a gym that doesn't directly affect them. E.g. I can understand getting upset if an unwanted spotter lifts the weight for you on your last rep. But shit like 'I saw some guy doing 405lb quarter squats thinking he was the man and it infuriated me'...who the fuck cares? There will always be people in the gym who don't know better and/or don't want to learn. Why does this matter to you?
    Don't be a buzzkill. This thread is about documenting the silly bullshit, the real silly bullshit, not half squats and squat rack curlin'. For example, the feller who likes to load the cable machines up with weight, hold on to both handles, walk about 10 feet from the machines, do some strange punching moment for about 12-18 reps before he fatigues and the weight snaps him back into the machine.

Or the guy who does Randy "Macho Man" Savage "Oh yeahs" between heavy quarter squat reps. Or the two man faggot team tearing ass after each shitty power clean, which would be dropped immediately on the ground, no bumpers, no platform. Or the gym employee telling them that dropping their mighty 175 lb power clean would cause the bar go through the fucking floor.

Now I'm not upset (except for farting after each rep and giggling about it) I find it funny and amusing.

Quote Originally Posted by grambo View Post
    Hmm? These are a legit exercise used by weightlifters, sometimes in snatch grip as well.
    Really? I would have thought it was dangerous...it sure scared the fuck out of me to watch this guy do them.

I stand corrected.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZc6J89b1-E

Marius Pudzianowksi does them. Personally I hate the idea of doing anything behind the neck.

These are a legit exercise used by weightlifters, sometimes in snatch grip as well.
    It's called a snatch balance; it's an assistance exercise for the snatch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idyhuDgmpuU

I joined a gym last week... been a long time since I was in one of those places. I haven't had a chance to notice much, but I really don't like the sales people... so effing pushy.

starting strength coach development program
    I once had a brief membership at a gym where they offered assessments; body fat, cardiovascular, etc. Their strength assessment test consisted of how much you could curl. I shit you not.