starting strength gym
Page 2208 of 2422 FirstFirst ... 1208170821082158219822062207220822092210221822582308 ... LastLast
Results 22,071 to 22,080 of 24219

Thread: Joined a new gym last night. Hilarious

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Kregna View Post
    Good morningy squats are caused by the knees extending before the quads right?
    I'm assuming you meant hips, not quads, in which case yes, pretty much. Greg Nuckols believes this is caused by weak quads, and has written some pretty good stuff on it. Not sure I agree with all of his conclusions, but he's got pretty solid models to analyze.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    I'm assuming you meant hips, not quads, in which case yes, pretty much. Greg Nuckols believes this is caused by weak quads, and has written some pretty good stuff on it. Not sure I agree with all of his conclusions, but he's got pretty solid models to analyze.
    When I let my hips drift back at the sticking point in a grindy squat, it's because I'm shifting work from my quads to my ass, because my quads are not able to extend my knees otherwise. So this seems reasonable to me.
    Last edited by Charlie Davies; 01-05-2017 at 07:23 AM. Reason: add defensive pedantry

Quote Originally Posted by Kregna View Post
    Good morningy squats are caused by the knees extending before the quads right?
    ... Which is caused by weaker quads.

Quote Originally Posted by allent View Post
    I got sick of LBBS & I was getting pretty GM-y, so I switched to front squats for a bit. Am enjoying the change of pace, too soon to determine if it will help my LBBS.
    I just added them in . They really hurt the front of my shoulders for a couple days after I do them but I assume that will get better. It's nice to have a "light" squat variation.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post

I saw his argument too, and I believe he's correct, though I wouldn't call it weak quads, I would call it improper form. Which nonetheless uses less quads. And more posterior chain.

Quote Originally Posted by John W View Post
    I saw his argument too, and I believe he's correct, though I wouldn't call it weak quads, I would call it improper form. Which nonetheless uses less quads. And more posterior chain.
    Which leads to disproportionally weaker quads and the more you do it, the worst it gets. That's why I don't like the LBBS. It reinforces, if not encourages, that movement pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnivroar View Post
    Which leads to disproportionally weaker quads and the more you do it, the worst it gets. That's why I don't like the LBBS. It reinforces, if not encourages, that movement pattern.
    I'll continue to use it, as no other movement uses more of the large muscle mass of the posterior chain over such a range of motion.
    I may add in front squats for light days. I see no reason to do HBBS.

edit:
    Also, I'll focus on not doing good morning squats, and using proper LBBS form; meaning not driving the hips back.
    Last edited by John Watson; 01-05-2017 at 12:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John W View Post
    I'll continue to use it, as no other movement uses more of the large muscle mass of the posterior chain over such a range of motion.
    I may add in front squats for light days. I see no reason to do HBBS.

edit:
    Also, I'll focus on not doing good morning squats.
    More muscle mass and more weight are not necessarily better. I'd rather train a movement that is harder and encourages my body to move correctly than lift more weights. LBBS should be reserved for powerlifting competitions only.

More muscle mass and more weight are not necessarily better. I'd rather train a movement that is harder and encourages my body to move correctly than lift more weights. LBBS should be reserved for powerlifting competitions only.

How do you identify or define what's "correct"?

starting strength coach development program
    correctly
    Just how in the hell did you suss out what is the correct way for a body to move? Why is the HBS "correct"?

Also, if you were to compare a max HBS and max LBS, the latter would be harder, because of more muscle mass. Like how a max deadlift is harder than a max wrist curl.