starting strength gym
Page 2219 of 2422 FirstFirst ... 1219171921192169220922172218221922202221222922692319 ... LastLast
Results 22,181 to 22,190 of 24219

Thread: Joined a new gym last night. Hilarious

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorWho View Post
    I have what is probably a dumb question, but I only ever failed a rep when my weight got too far forward and I was inside a cage. What does the right way of failing a low-bar competition squat look like? Couldn't find it with a cursory google search.
    the times I've seen missed attempts, they occur coming out of the hole. Usually, the spotters will see you're not coming up; you go back down and they grab the bar before you crash into the bottom. So yeah, basically the same way as in a rack.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    the times I've seen missed attempts, they occur coming out of the hole. Usually, the spotters will see you're not coming up; you go back down and they grab the bar before you crash into the bottom. So yeah, basically the same way as in a rack.
    Thanks. I see the importance of good and beefy spotters.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorWho View Post
    Thanks. I see the importance of good and beefy spotters.
    The important part is not to dump the bar on their hands, since it will be easier to get it up with their hands + your legs.

Quote Originally Posted by poser View Post
    Consistent observation: gym bro hits the bench press, immediately loads 135 on the bar, warms up and then occasionally does 225 for a few reps, but generally sticks to 155-175 for a few sets (while holding their head up unsupported by the bench for whatever reason)....
    Doesn't the SS book teach you to hold your head slightly off the bench? I think this is to avoid the bad habit of digging your head back into the bench hard enough to damage your neck.

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    yeah, he about lost it at the end. Looks like the spotters kinda stabilized everything just as the hooks were engaged, preventing another disaster.

depth seems no good to me
    This is formally known as 'dat amit sapir depth doe'

Quote Originally Posted by cwd View Post
    Doesn't the SS book teach you to hold your head slightly off the bench? I think this is to avoid the bad habit of digging your head back into the bench hard enough to damage your neck.
    I thought it was so you could watch your pecs while benching? [emoji12]

Quote Originally Posted by cwd View Post
    Either on the bench and not pressing down, or just a hair above. Do not drive your head into the bench. I didn't even realize I was doing it, busted my c6/c7. Lost feeling in my fingers and most of the strength in my right arm. Eventually made a full recovery after 9 months.

Quote Originally Posted by allent View Post
    Should have immediately been banned from whatever federation it was in. And any previous records wiped. And both kneecaps extracted with a pocket knife and spoon.
    USAPL. The guy is, according to Reddit at least, a known juicer.

On a lighter note, went to my campus gym yesterday. Saw a guy doing something that looked like SS. I was pleasantly surprised.

Can someone explain to me the purpose of a "bro split?"

Quote Originally Posted by pstein View Post
    It's for joining together stints of proper training when you need a week's break of exactly 3 bro workouts for whatever reason (injury, post-meet cooldown, holidays, illness, travel, trolling, getting a beach pump etc...)

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by pstein View Post
    It's late Friday. The bro's are doing bench presses and curls for a pump before hitting the bars. Saw it at the local Golds last week.