starting strength gym
Page 2269 of 2422 FirstFirst ... 1269176921692219225922672268226922702271227923192369 ... LastLast
Results 22,681 to 22,690 of 24219

Thread: Joined a new gym last night. Hilarious

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodie Butland View Post
    I literally did join a new gym recently because I wanted the ability to lift in the morning, shower at the gym, and walk upstairs to work. It actually has really good facilities, pretty good equipment (a little too many bumper plates and not enough iron plates, which is a pain for squatting a deadlifting, but I manage), and a good staff.

What amazes me is the absolute discourtesy with putting back weights--literally the worst I have seen in any gym, and I've been in a lot of them. I think it's a sense of entitlement issue, since the gym is mostly populated by lawyers, accountants, and financial types. My view is, regardless of how professionally accomplished you are, you're not so goddamn important that you can't spend 20 seconds to put away your weights rather than leave them on the bar/machine or strew them about the floor. Either rack your weights or pay a Sherpa to follow you around and do it for you.

Also...dude slams down a barbell in triumph after a particularly grueling curl session with 55 lbs. (45 lbs bar, 5 lbs per side)
    Sounds like the gym manager needs lessons from one of my local gym owners. He started with the usual "Please rerack your weights after use".
    This was followed by a notice that read "Look here! I am sick and tired of picking up your plates. If you can't be bothered to put them back, I'm going to scatter them all over the floor and you can go and look for them".
    This lead to some reracking in a random order, so we got to see "For fuck's sake. You put the plates on the peg which is labelled with that weight. GOT IT ?".
    Then followed a couple of notes with an arrows pointing to an incorrectly racked plate, saying "Another fucking moron who can't read !".

Quote Originally Posted by Sam McLeod View Post
    Amazon.com : Deadlift Deadener 250 (Pair) : Sports & Outdoors

No matter how perfectly you put the weight down, the bar will always rock... and I'm an inch from the bar so it doesn't take long to get out of balance and smacked in the shin by a few hundred pounds.
    I think what your saying, is the bar doesn't go down exactly the same way as it comes up. Maybe super heavy attempts.
    Bars twist a little with mixed grip too. So I could see the plates hitting the curved areas a little funky, and then things go koo-coo from there.

Amazon: People also bought : Amazon.com : Soccer Shin Guards -Youth Sizes - by DashSport - Best Kids Soccer Equipment with Ankle Sleeves - Great for Boys and Girls : Sports & Outdoors

you can kinda see it here: Der Deadlift Deadener! - YouTube

as the pathetic weight comes down, it hits the slanted area, then that ricochets the plate forward or back.

I found three YT video so far regarding this product; everyone is demostrating with 135/225 doing Touch and Go light dead lifts. Stupid

3rd edit:

Even with heavier weight, you can see how it moves fore-and-aft and side-to-side

Deadlift Deadeners 500 - Demoed by Delroy McQueen - YouTube
    Last edited by MBasic; 03-30-2017 at 02:48 PM.

[QUOTE=Brodie Butland;1513711]I literally did join a new gym recently ...[\QUOTE]

I think all correct usage of "literally" on social media should be acknowledged and praised. Thank you.

I used to belong to a globo gym like you described, 3 miles from home. I switched to Atlanta Barbell, 33 miles away. Whenever I think about the long drive there, in metro traffic, I guess I need to remember some of the stuff you described, and how much better I have it now.

Instagram

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by poser View Post
    It's too bad Ed Sullivan has shuffled off this mortal coil. He'd have had this bozo on some Sunday night in a heartbeat. Right after Topo Gigio.

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    I think what your saying, is the bar doesn't go down exactly the same way as it comes up. Maybe super heavy attempts.
    Bars twist a little with mixed grip too. So I could see the plates hitting the curved areas a little funky, and then things go koo-coo from there.

Amazon: People also bought : Amazon.com : Soccer Shin Guards -Youth Sizes - by DashSport - Best Kids Soccer Equipment with Ankle Sleeves - Great for Boys and Girls : Sports & Outdoors

you can kinda see it here: Der Deadlift Deadener! - YouTube

as the pathetic weight comes down, it hits the slanted area, then that ricochets the plate forward or back.

I found three YT video so far regarding this product; everyone is demostrating with 135/225 doing Touch and Go light dead lifts. Stupid

3rd edit:

Even with heavier weight, you can see how it moves fore-and-aft and side-to-side

Deadlift Deadeners 500 - Demoed by Delroy McQueen - YouTube
    That is a much better description of what is happening. Perfect video.

I don't have the forearm strength yet to pull 375 for reps with a double overhand, so I do an alternate grip and just moving the bar horizontally a fraction of an inch at that weight will make it swing on those stupid deadeners... Ugh. I am currently in a small town in Idaho and this is the only gym in the area. So I guess I am going to working on my eccentric movement on the way down to keep the bar from taking my legs out:/ Might have to go down in weight?

[QUOTE=Charlocity2;1513911]
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodie Butland View Post
    I literally did join a new gym recently ...[\QUOTE]

I think all correct usage of "literally" on social media should be acknowledged and praised. Thank you.

I used to belong to a globo gym like you described, 3 miles from home. I switched to Atlanta Barbell, 33 miles away. Whenever I think about the long drive there, in metro traffic, I guess I need to remember some of the stuff you described, and how much better I have it now.
    Should that use really be praised? If he had left out the literally would the meaning change? I don't think so

The butchering of 'literally' is so widespread now I think the word should just disappear. Even when it's used correctly it sounds redundant.

Instagram

Old guy was money from the free throw line.

Instagram

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Ay! Yo! YO! Get the FUCK off the court, man!"

starting strength coach development program
    That balancing guy's tricks are pretty amazing. Awesome skill. If somebody is actively waiting on those dumbbells, or the court, he should be applauded, then punched in the balls. Otherwise just applauded.