starting strength gym
Page 2298 of 2422 FirstFirst ... 1298179821982248228822962297229822992300230823482398 ... LastLast
Results 22,971 to 22,980 of 24218

Thread: Joined a new gym last night. Hilarious

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnivroar View Post
    Those are nothing more than a variation of the press-in-clean. Go tell Greg Everett that low bar squats trains thoracic stability better.
    True, but it's a fucking 5 lbs weight. Unless your Clean and press is 3 lbs, there's no stability to be gained here. The point of the post was not the movement, rather it was the claim that there was spinal stability improvement taking place in the video. The same training effect could have been achieved while eating a bowl of cereal in the bottom of a squat.

Quote Originally Posted by poser View Post
    True, but it's a fucking 5 lbs weight.
    Those are often done with a broomstick.

Those are often done with a broomstick.
    Well then, it's a mobility drill then, as I hardly think that "spinal stability" is a limiting factor when it comes to a weightlifter doing a press from the bottom of the squat.

Well then, it's a mobility drill then, as I hardly think that "spinal stability" is a limiting factor when it comes to a weightlifter doing a press from the bottom of the squat.
    Mobility, stability... coke, pepsi... piss off dude.

Mobility, stability... coke, pepsi... piss off dude.
    Carni proving once again that reading is difficult for him.

Quote Originally Posted by shib View Post
    Carni proving once again that reading is difficult for him.
    Quote Originally Posted by scoppi View Post
    Talking the talk is a lot easier than walking the walk. When you bench 300 and squat and deadlift 400+ then you can have your own opinion. Until then, stfu and quit ragging on someone who was far stronger than you are. Carni might be a dumbass, but he knows more about lifting than you.

Uh oh, can do what scoppi quoted. I think this makes you retarded Carni.

Delete.
    Last edited by pstein; 05-29-2017 at 11:58 PM.

Thoracic spine stability training;
    Instagram
    I did that once. I'm a pretty mobile guy, for what it's worth. 95 lbs on the bar, front squatted and tried to press it. Got about 3/4ths of the way up, then lost balance and I fell on my ass. It was fun, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by ChasingCurls69 View Post
    His book sucked.
    It's a pretty standard WL text in the US, though I admit it's painfully long and not the best in organization. I'm told Drechsler's (sp?) WL Encyclopedia is better, though I can't find a copy of it for less than $40. Maybe when I'm less broke, I'll buy it.

On another note:

Went to the gym on Sunday. I'm occupying one of the racks and three high school guys come in. One guy clearly the leader.

Leader puts 225 on the bar and squats to depth, with his heels coming way off the ground. In tennis shoes, but whatever. #2 does the same thing, but stops about 3 in high each time. #3 puts 135 on and can't hit depth. Leader talks about "knees not coming over the toes."

Ironically, I started my work sets of high bar, atg squats then. I can't low bar, my shoulders are too fucked up (but weirdly, I can snatch just fine).

Squats end, they switch to DLs. Leader does "bounce and go" reps at 275 or 245, I couldn't see the last plate too well (this gym has the Rogue hi-temp plates, which I hate for their general size/bounciness). #2 does 225 or so. #3 comes to the bar and starts with 135, horrible back rounding. Guys rest between sets, repeat. #3 comes up again, same horrible back rounding. At some point, leader walks off somewhere else. I yell "chest up!" at the kid on his last rep. Finally, I can't take it anymore. I tell the guy that I've hurt my back a lot doing DLs, which is true (before SS, I didn't DL because I'd invariably hurt myself). I walk over to the bar and demonstrate the five step set up (midfoot, shins, etc.). Pull the weight from the floor. Guys watch and seem to pay attention. I walk back to my platform and keep squatting. They go through the rotation again, #3 sets up like he's doing a clean pull.

At that point, I just left them alone. All I hope is that #3 is okay. Leader and #2 can be stupid all they want. I hope some new guy doesn't get hurt because he can't figure out technique.

I'm not even going to mention the wrecks their "power cleans" (read: explosive upright rows) were.
    Last edited by pstein; 05-30-2017 at 12:07 AM.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by pstein View Post
    At some point, leader walks off somewhere else. I yell "chest up!" at the kid on his last rep.
    Don't yell cues to people who haven't asked for it.