starting strength gym
Page 2306 of 2422 FirstFirst ... 1306180622062256229623042305230623072308231623562406 ... LastLast
Results 23,051 to 23,060 of 24219

Thread: Joined a new gym last night. Hilarious

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernie623 View Post
    Not really a typical story for this thread but simply had to share it. My wife manages the local University housing section where they have just had a squat rack purchased for their small Hall gym. Its popular for the 18 year old bros to do the usual tomfoolery in, curls and whatnot, but when she was doing a daily walk around yesterday my wife saw a group of guys in there squatting 40 kgs. One of them jokingly asked if she wanted to give it a go, she declined because she was in her usual business suit jacket and skirt, before adding that she was supposed to squat heavy that night anyway. They asked what heavy was, (she is up to work sets of 82.5 kg for triples). When they gave her a little bit of razz about being all talk and no action she went over and pressed the 40 kg for 5 reps and walked out with her head held high.
    I would have loved to see the look on their faces.

I bet after she was finished that you could hear a pin drop on the floor.

There was a link to this YouTube channel on the "Westside changed my life" thread. I kind of
    Laughed my way through this video on that channel. For a moment, I thought this was a bro science type parody channel, but this dude is for real. Who are the people that follow this kind of crap seriously?

Anyway, enjoy the video on the 400 things you need in your gym bag (as if belt, wraps, sleeves, shoes, microplates weren't already enough)

My Training Equipment - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by poser View Post
    There was a link to this YouTube channel on the "Westside changed my life" thread. I kind of
    Laughed my way through this video on that channel. For a moment, I thought this was a bro science type parody channel, but this dude is for real. Who are the people that follow this kind of crap seriously?

Anyway, enjoy the video on the 400 things you need in your gym bag (as if belt, wraps, sleeves, shoes, microplates weren't already enough)

My Training Equipment - YouTube

How To Be A Powerlifter - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by invisibleman View Post
    I see people OHP with bumpers in a rack, but at least that *kind* of makes sense b/c you might drop your OHP, but then again it doesn't b/c the rack has safeties.

I also see people front squat with bumpers, again, in a rack, all the time.

I've never yet seen someone bench with bumpers though.

I guess it's all about dem big ole plates?
    before we had the bumpers, what used to crack me up is people playing muscial chairs with the plates on the seated shoulder press station.

You would either have the guy who . . .

Warms up with the bar, put 25's on and does 6-8 reps. Takes 25's off and puts 35's on. Does 5 reps. Takes 35's off and puts 45's on and does 4 shitty 1/2 reps, for 4-6 sets.

OR

The guy who warms up with the empty bar, goes straight to 135, which he barely can do for 4-5 shitty crooked 1/2 reps.

Anything to go from 0-135 as fast as possible.
    No one could stand to use 25's with some 10's and/or change plates.

NOW, that we have the rack w/ bumper plate tree on the side.
    Everyone does standing OHP w/ 18" dia 10's & 25's on the bar . . .for many more reps
    Last edited by MBasic; 06-12-2017 at 06:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    before we had the bumpers, what used to crack me up is people playing muscial chairs with the plates on the seated shoulder press station.

You would either have the guy who . . .

Warms up with the bar, put 25's on and does 6-8 reps. Takes 25's off and puts 35's on. Does 5 reps. Takes 35's off and puts 45's on and does 4 shitty 1/2 reps, for 4-6 sets.

OR

The guy who warms up with the empty bar, goes straight to 135, which he barely can do for 4-5 shitty crooked 1/2 reps.

Anything to go from 0-135 as fast as possible.
    No one could stand to use 25's with some 10's and/or change plates.

NOW, that we have the rack w/ bumper plate tree on the side.
    Everyone does standing OHP w/ 18" dia 10's & 25's on the bar . . .for many more reps
    Yo, bro maff is tuff.

A guy that I sometimes train with/spot brought his 16 year old kid brother with him to the gym. The kid is on the HS football team's summer strength program. Where to begin?

1. They aren't allowed to backsquat, only front squat.

I'm guessing this is just laziness as a front squat tends to be more self correcting than a backsquat. Or, it could
    Be because they are on some kind of Oly program. Front squat only for football, because, you know, it's a quad dominant sport....

2. They don't Press at all, but they do full Snatches and Cleans.

3. Their in season program has them lifting weights 5 days a week.

Anyway, I wasn't about to try and teach the kid how to LBBS, but I did try to improve his HBBS (me and his brother both insisted that he backsquat as opposed to front squat) the best I could. The kid is a train wreck of wobbly knees, curved spine, lack of depth and jacked neck. I did the best I could to fix his knees, align his neck, and teach him how to brace with the valsalva maneuver.

I'm sure it's not THAT dangerous but every time I see the (mostly high school) kids squatting at my gym with their necks craned back staring at the ceiling it makes me wince.

Today was a great day at the 'ole globo gym. Aside from the usual smattering of 1/4 and 1/2 squats came an all too incredible fail. Three bro's set up for their squats, no set up or warm up just throw 25's on and away we go. Bro 1 jumps under the bar and tippie-toes it out for a scary-wobbly 1/4 squat. Bro 2, being about 6inches shorter, struggles to get the bar off the rack falling backward only to have Bro's 1&3 catch him and the barbell. I know you're thinking they'll re-rack and adjust the height. But no, they soldier on with Bro's 1&3 always helping lift the bar out for Bro 2. Fortunately, they only "completed" three sets.
    Still amused at their antics, as I'm headed out there's the typical slender gym girl performing the model walk for 20ft back and forth with a single 15lb db pressed overhead. Press and hold, walk down and back. Switch arms and repeat. Where do they find these things? Can't wait to see what Thursday holds in store!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by poser View Post
    I wasn't about to try and teach the kid how to LBBS
    On his behalf, thank you