starting strength gym
Page 2307 of 2422 FirstFirst ... 1307180722072257229723052306230723082309231723572407 ... LastLast
Results 23,061 to 23,070 of 24219

Thread: Joined a new gym last night. Hilarious

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    As this is my first summer in this new town, it's surprising how much the gym has been filling up lately. It appears a lot of folks spend their summers here. Anyway, there was a moment today when there were 3 people, count them: one-two-three.... THREE people doing standing overhead presses at the same time and I was not one of them. Granted, they were all a bit ugly with flared elbows and suicide grips, but I was still shocked. I'd like to think I had something to do with this new trend as for the last 6 months, I've been the only person with a barbell over my head at that gym.

So this big guy came into my gym last week with his "posse".

Set up on the squat rack and loaded up to 460kg but was a long way from parallel.

Should I dis him for shitty form?

Attractive lady walks in to the gym and heads over to the squat rack. Starts 1/4 squatting with the empty bar... nothing out of the ordinary so far. Adds 10s on each side, does the next set (hmm... actual warm up sets?). Keeps grabbing more 10s and doing a set until there are four 10s on each side. She is ready for her work set. She unracks, walks *WAY* out, turns 90 degrees, half squats while looking sideways in the mirror on the wall, turns back and racks the bar. Now all the 10s make sense... she can see herself better in the mirror when looking from the side.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_R View Post
    Attractive lady walks in to the gym and heads over to the squat rack. Starts 1/4 squatting with the empty bar... nothing out of the ordinary so far. Adds 10s on each side, does the next set (hmm... actual warm up sets?). Keeps grabbing more 10s and doing a set until there are four 10s on each side. She is ready for her work set. She unracks, walks *WAY* out, turns 90 degrees, half squats while looking sideways in the mirror on the wall, turns back and racks the bar. Now all the 10s make sense... she can see herself better in the mirror when looking from the side.
    This begs the question: how many 10s can you fit on a bar? [emoji848]

Quote Originally Posted by turnip View Post
    So this big guy came into my gym last week with his "posse".

Set up on the squat rack and loaded up to 460kg but was a long way from parallel.

Should I dis him for shitty form?

Be nice, that's SPF depth.

On a related note, I've been seeing some pretty decent stuff in my gym recently. Older guy squatting 315 to pretty good depth, another guy doing SS (solid 275 squats at 180ish BW).

some of the board nerds may like this

day to day I am a project manager on large commercial property developments, with a specialty in retail. One of my current jobs is a 4 story mall below 29 stories of residential apartments, so it will mainly be grocery, daily services, and food and beverage. Our leasing agent was proposing a gym on level 4, above resteraunts and below apartments. I asked him for specs of the gym because I wanted to check the structure had the capacity to take the machines, and I was concerned any idiot dropping free weights would cause the structure to shake - giving me a headache with residents and resteraunt customers down the track. Here was the gym's response:

I would like to take the opportunity to reference that a Plus Fitness 24/7 is not to be considered as a ‘traditional gymnasium’ or ‘fitness facility’ and does not entertain the same facilities, structure or services often associated with such businesses.

Plus Fitness 24/7’s do not have a stereo and speakers system installed. The low level background music that is played inside the business comes from a single television with the remaining one or two televisions having no sound ability, only visual. The television provides the low level background music and is pre set at an acceptable volume no higher than that experienced in any household.

Based on there being no provision for music being played at volume, members are encouraged to bring their own personal music devises such as mp3 players and iPods. Members are advised of this when joining both verbally and in writing.

With regards to Acoustic impact on nearby residences, I will assume that this concern has come from one who has a perception of a ‘traditional gymnasium’ where from time to time, certain patrons such as ‘bodybuilders’ apply weight lifting techniques that are often referred to as ‘training to failure’, and as such will drop their dumbbells after completing certain exercises.

If my assumptions of this concern are correct then this can be comfortably addressed. A Plus Fitness 24/7 does not posses the equipment or facility that would be required by this particular segment of gym user. A Plus Fitness 24/7 has a maximum of 40kg dumbbells which are more than adequate for its target market and far from adequate for the type of gym user that would be accustomed to the style of training referred to as ‘training to failure’. The majority of weights used in a Plus Fitness 24/7 are what is known as “Pin Loaded” machines and not “Free Weights” which means that the weights are controlled by a system of Pulleys and Cables which allow control over the movement of such weights and therefore cannot be dropped.

Furthermore, a Plus Fitness 24/7 has a gym specific, Regupol style flooring in the areas where the gym equipment and limited weights equipment are located. This flooring has a high load and impact resistance and is a preferred choice for gyms and any other noise sensitive businesses and areas. This particular style of flooring is German engineered and tested at the Institute For Sound and Thermal Insulation in Essen, Germany where it was found to absorb in excess of 95% of the sound made by the dropping of ‘heavy weights equipment’. It would be fair to say that our use of this product is far in excess of that required however it is used to comfortably satisfy any noise concerns.
    I particularly liked that you can't train to failure with 40kg DBs, and that this constitutes "Weightlifting technique"

Quote Originally Posted by JC View Post
    Maybe find a video of some dickheads slamming the shit out of a large pulldown and axe him if that is what he meant by Pin Loaded” machines and not “Free Weights” which means that the weights are controlled by "a system of Pulleys and Cables which allow control over the movement of such weights and therefore cannot be dropped."

Also do "air quotes" all the "fucking" time if you ever "get" to "talk" to "him".
    Ok.

Maybe find a video of some dickheads slamming the shit out of a large pulldown and axe him if that is what he meant by Pin Loaded” machines and not “Free Weights” which means that the weights are controlled by "a system of Pulleys and Cables which allow control over the movement of such weights and therefore cannot be dropped."

Also do "air quotes" all the "fucking" time if you ever "get" to "talk" to "him".
    I don't really care about dickheads slamming the lat pulldown, that's not going to bounce the slab and vibrate up the building while someone is trying to sleep. If someone is doing it with 40kg DBs it will, but given the language used in his email I don't think anyone using this gym is going to get near the 40kg DBs, this is a treadmills and cable curls type gym

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Rest View Post
    I don't really care about dickheads slamming the lat pulldown, that's not going to bounce the slab and vibrate up the building while someone is trying to sleep. If someone is doing it with 40kg DBs it will, but given the language used in his email I don't think anyone using this gym is going to get near the 40kg DBs, this is a treadmills and cable curls type gym

i remember when they first built my gym, when it was under construction I didn't know what it was.
    I thought it was going to be a parking structure at first: two story, concrete column and big ol' concrete post tension T beams.
    Then I learned it was going to be a gym. I thought, "figures, all that iron on the 2nd floor and what not"

. . ..any aerobics classes?

there is a bathroom downstairs underneath the one of the aerobics floors.

40-50 people (that need aerobics real bad) jumping up and down in rhythmic in unison. (acoustic resonance effect or what ev the fuck).

that's your worst fear right there, way worse that plate stacks and dumbbells being dropped.

holy shit I thought the roof was going to fall in on me while I was on the toilet.

fuck the weights, it all the fat chicks bouncing up and down

starting strength coach development program
    But you're gonna air quote him to buggery and back still, yeah? Yeah!
    maybe, if they wind up signing a lease and I get to meet him (which I probably wont)