starting strength gym
Page 2308 of 2422 FirstFirst ... 1308180822082258229823062307230823092310231823582408 ... LastLast
Results 23,071 to 23,080 of 24218

Thread: Joined a new gym last night. Hilarious

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    i remember when they first built my gym, when it was under construction I didn't know what it was.
    I thought it was going to be a parking structure at first: two story, concrete column and big ol' concrete post tension T beams.
    Then I learned it was going to be a gym. I thought, "figures, all that iron on the 2nd floor and what not"

. . ..any aerobics classes?

there is a bathroom downstairs underneath the one of the aerobics floors.

40-50 people (that need aerobics real bad) jumping up and down in rhythmic in unison. (acoustic resonance effect or what ev the fuck).

that's your worst fear right there, way worse that plate stacks and dumbbells being dropped.

holy shit I thought the roof was going to fall in on me while I was on the toilet.

fuck the weights, it all the fat chicks bouncing up and down
    This is an excellent point that I hadn't considered, but no - there are no classes in this gym

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Rest View Post
    This is an excellent point that I hadn't considered, but no - there are no classes in this gym
    I wondered if the architects and structural engineers had actually thought of this.

Or if the place got properly designed "by accident", due to all the anticipated static heavy loads . . .machines, iron, people.

Some kind of software for "Harmonics", etc????

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    I wondered if the architects and structural engineers had actually thought of this.

Or if the place got properly designed "by accident", due to all the anticipated static heavy loads . . .machines, iron, people.

Some kind of software for "Harmonics", etc????
    Neglecting to account for floor vibration is actually a thing. It's usually more of a problem in steel frame buildings as opposed to concrete.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    Neglecting to account for floor vibration is actually a thing. It's usually more of a problem in steel frame buildings as opposed to concrete.
    I've seen vibration travel a long way in concrete framed buildings. The absolute worst is when you have a rooftop loading dock - a 19m semi going over a movement joint was enough to shake stock off shelves in the store below it. The other common problem is HVAC plant starting up (or ramping up quickly) and shaking the structure.

The best gym I ever trained at was shut down because the landlord leased the space next to ours to a hot yoga studio and they bitched and moaned about the noise and vibrations of guys setting down 500 lb and heavier dead lifts. They even accused one of our members of pissing on their door handle.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Rest View Post
    I've seen vibration travel a long way in concrete framed buildings. The absolute worst is when you have a rooftop loading dock - a 19m semi going over a movement joint was enough to shake stock off shelves in the store below it. The other common problem is HVAC plant starting up (or ramping up quickly) and shaking the structure.
    That's a unique case; mechanical vibration. If not dealt with appropriately, via isolation usually, yes, it's a problem.

I was talking more about foot traffic causing the floors to bounce which is very common. This happens because bays or the spaces between lines of columns tend to be regular. You can very easily design a floor that has enough strength for a given span, but will often be too flexible to meet vibration recommendations for comfort. It's been a while, but I don't think there was a Code requirement for vibration, so there's that. It's a careful dance you have to perform between number of joists, spacing, joist size, and what floor system you end up using.

Steel is inherently more flexible than concrete for a given strength of element, so a lot of times you just neglect checking the bounce of the floor in a concrete system. Steel frames you have to do it all the time. I learned this the hard way early in my career.

Quote Originally Posted by Tex View Post
    The best gym I ever trained at was shut down because the landlord leased the space next to ours to a hot yoga studio and they bitched and moaned about the noise and vibrations of guys setting down 500 lb and heavier dead lifts. They even accused one of our members of pissing on their door handle.
    Even though I've never been to that gym, that anecdote makes me miss it.

Quote Originally Posted by Erok View Post
    Even though I've never been to that gym, that anecdote makes me miss it.
    Haha, yes, it was a damn good black iron gym! One of our members was a welding instructor at a local community college and he made a ton of equipment for us. We had platforms, racks, benches, monolifts, prowlers, strongman stuff, and tons of plates. We had some damn good lifters, too. Guys that could squat close to 1000, bench 700, etc.

Cool. My gym has moved a couple times, but still has many 'original' pieces made to spec by local welders. The beat-up power rack made from heavy C-channel steel that has a little wobble, a bent bar, and that no one squats in - is the owner's favorite squat rack.

starting strength coach development program
    Manpon Smith machine squats that included calf raises at the top of the rep.