starting strength gym
Page 2341 of 2422 FirstFirst ... 134118412241229123312339234023412342234323512391 ... LastLast
Results 23,401 to 23,410 of 24218

Thread: Joined a new gym last night. Hilarious

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    How'bout

"Just be a decent person and clean up your own shit like this place was your own place"
    The world, let alone the gym, would be a much better place if everyone subscribed to this.

Yesterday was a complete delight at the old globo-gym. Started off with politely asking the "gentleman" doing upright rows with 65# if he could shift out of the rack so I could do squats. He replied that he had many more sets to do so no. Okay, well enjoy your enduring upright row session and the resulting shoulder issues. Move to the other rack, where a trainer was guiding a woman through terrible scared cat back deadlifts, sumo style. Just once I'd love to hear actual comments on form versus, just keep pushing through the floor.... Fortunately, they only did two more sets and passed the rack on so I could squat. The day progressed with a bro "squatting" in the smith machine with the most bizarre form I've ever seen. Feet together, knees together and about two feet in front of the bar. Weird. Just before my last work set, upright row returns to the other rack and flicks the small weights that had been left on the bar onto the floor to roll around. Proceeds to do rack pulls with a solid 2-3inches ROM. The day finished with super bro, putting 315 on the bench press, team press-rowing it for three and then upon seeing my last set of squats following me to the water fountain to extoll me on my poor form and how it really messed up his back so now he only uses the leg press... epic day to say the least.

Complaining about people leaving weights lying around is so last year. Can we move on to people leaving expensive training gear lying around? I'll start:

Quote Originally Posted by MiddleMike View Post
    ...The day progressed with a bro "squatting" in the smith machine with the most bizarre form I've ever seen. Feet together, knees together and about two feet in front of the bar. Weird....
    That sounds, painful.

Hex plates are an abomination! That is all - carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    I observe the douche bags who don't rerack their shit; I've called out some folks here or there, but since stopped that . . . . for reasons.
    What reasons? I have no problem calling out these guys, especially when i need the equipment myself of course.

Quote Originally Posted by gallon_of_cheese_a_day View Post
    What reasons? I have no problem calling out these guys, especially when i need the equipment myself of course.
    No matter how you spin it, it turns into a confrontational thing with another guy. Somehow, you wind up being the asshole.

OR, this has happened twice, the dude was done with the rack. Left it there for 10 minutes. I go to the drinking fountain, track the guy down... he's moved on the bro machines. I ask him if he's gonna rack the weights he left. He says, "oh, I'm coming back to it, not done". Which is bullshit...he was done. Does a token set, and strips it....or in the 2nd case, never returned.

With women, it's even worse. There's one Latin lady with a thick accent who ALWAYS leaves her deadlift set up there. I could just see the whole "no ahblo englaise" thing.

I could see some kind of thing where a woman reports me to the management "that guy is harassing me" type of thing.

I might just be paranoid, but I feel I'm walking on thin ice at my gym. The manager switches out every 9months +/-. Their policy on dropping bumper plates has changed back n forth several times.

Also, there has been some shit going around about "recording devices"....not in the lockers...but out on the gym floor. I tape every set. I could see ( because retarded people) them starting a no phone recording policy. I tape all my sets.

Don't want to stir the shit anymore than I have to...at this point.

I just pick up other people's shit and put it away during my intraset rests. I usually will cleanup the adjacent racks too.

If someone is a abusing a Oly bar, I will and have pointed that out to staff , and like right the fuck now.
    Last edited by MBasic; 08-12-2017 at 06:49 AM.

MBasic, you train at a Lifetime, right? I ask because I wonder if you have the option of training at another, more black-iron gym.

Don't get me wrong, I completely understand if you're a family man and have a family membership, which I used to have, or if there's other relevant factors, like distance.

At my local gym 95-100% of the members don't put back the weights, or like someone said here, "their shit"(because in those moments, all the barbells and the plates are a useless piece of shit, being not on their proper place). Never heard someone, including the staff, telling anything about this. No one gives a fuck. You can also roar, drop your dumbbells(20lb or 60lb - no matter), and no one will say anything. Yes, we have all those "put back the weight after finishing your reps..." on the mirrors, but it looks like people aren't capable of reading or comprehending.
    A note: sometimes you can't blame the guy. He could have approached the rack already being used, after the jerk before him didn't clean his shit.
    I see 2 - 3 reasons for not putting back the weight: 1) You're feeling dizziness and weakness - then wait until you're ok, and clean your place; 2) Someone asked you after you finish your session to leave the equipment as it is; and 3) (not the best one) like in the case above, when the place had already been a mess, and after your work it was remained the same or better(let's say you're approaching a cage with 200lb, and you leave it with 120lb, so it's not ideal, but Ok).

starting strength coach development program
    Give a hoot, don't pollute (the gym with plates).

I re-rack my weights, and now take a minute to re-arrange the plates on one of the trees if needed. Guys put 25s on the 10s peg, and then other weights don't fit.

I've noticed since doing this, I not only feel better, but the employees and trainers at the globo-gym have taken notice. Coincidence that nobody bothers me about rack pulling any more?