starting strength gym
Page 2348 of 2422 FirstFirst ... 134818482248229823382346234723482349235023582398 ... LastLast
Results 23,471 to 23,480 of 24218

Thread: Joined a new gym last night. Hilarious

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    My gym just got two new and nice squat racks. I was happy. Then I noticed that they didn't get any new bars or plates. So there aren't enough to go around.

Got a visit from Mr. SuperCurlz yesterday. Not only did he take up a squat rack with his 55 pound BB curls (and used chalk!), but he set up another barbell on the rack next to it and super-setted himself into oblivion.

When he was done, I went over to rack pull. Didn't notice that the fucker left a plate hanging barely on a peg. Said plate fell on my foot. Dammit.

Quote Originally Posted by Skander View Post
    Maybe this is just my pet peeve, but does nobody else even have a basic sense of awareness of their surroundings? Like... You're standing in the doorway. There's a reason people keep edging by and saying sorry. This extends to gym stuff where people are apparently oblivious to the existence of others in the gym, but clearly nobody gives a fuck about literally standing in everyone's way.
    It's happening everywhere. People just don't care, they live in their own world, exploiting the fact, that most of the folks will say this SORRY, instead of knocking them out.

Quote Originally Posted by autumnal View Post
    Got a visit from Mr. SuperCurlz yesterday. Not only did he take up a squat rack with his 55 pound BB curls (and used chalk!), but he set up another barbell on the rack next to it and super-setted himself into oblivion.

When he was done, I went over to rack pull. Didn't notice that the fucker left a plate hanging barely on a peg. Said plate fell on my foot. Dammit.
    He's not your slave, to put back the plate! Thank him very much he didn't leave a plate or two on a barbell after squatting, leaving you doing the dirty job.

Quote Originally Posted by autumnal View Post
    This happened to me a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately, I train at home so I guess I was both "fucker" and "fuckee" in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by olddognewtricks View Post
    Unfortunately, I train at home so I guess I was both "fucker" and "fuckee" in this case.
    Why? I think you're lucky. Unless you love to be surrounded by all kinds of fuckers(and fuckees, whatever it means).

Slingshots: not just for bench press overloads anymore.
    Instagram

3 incidents, on 3 different days, same person:

1) Smith machine bench press (3 or 4 plates, can't remember now), with one of those adjustable benches set up for a slight incline. The guy then lays down with his feet up on the seat part of the incline and raises his hips up high enough that he ends up in a decline position. It resembled a glute bridge hold/bench press. Oh, with 2 inch ROM on the bar, of course.

2) On the hack squat leg press machine, probably trying to do reverse hack squats or good mornings but they looked more like he hadn't decided which one and was doing some weird crossover. Not quite one or the other, just letting the weight push his ass out.

3) Now the pec deck, again it seemed like he was trying to do the reverse, but he was standing and bent over with his head against the back rest so that his arms were moving more parallel to his body, rather than perpendicular.

The first really baffled me, the others could just be regular confusion or misinformation about the exercises. Whatever, he's not bothering anyone. It's more of a "what the hell?"

Quote Originally Posted by Sirimiti View Post
    2) On the hack squat leg press machine, probably trying to do reverse hack squats or good mornings but they looked more like he hadn't decided which one and was doing some weird crossover. Not quite one or the other, just letting the weight push his ass out.
    Trying to catapult himself?

starting strength coach development program
    No one part of the following story is worthy of serious ridicule, but the whole event together seemed like it needed to be shared.. This morning, the following characters walked into the gym as a group:
    Old-Timey Strongman: Waxed handlebar mustache, tank top, camo pants
    Swimsuit Woman: One piece swimsuit, no shoes
    Coach: Punisher t-shirt with cutoff sleeves

After claiming 2 platforms with their gym bags, camera tripod, and misc equipment the three of them begin to measure. They went around the gym with tape measures and measured every straight bar, even those clearly in use on racks/platforms (note the gym probably has 25+ non-specialty bars). Old-Timey Strongman even took the time to measure the heights of the safeties on all the power racks (even those in use). This was especially odd considering that the safeties can all be moved, so I don't know how that information could ever be valuable. Swimsuit and Strongman then pulled a scale into the center of the floor and weighed several of the bars. This was completely unnecessary since the gym owner is sort of picky about these things so all the bars are labeled and color coded and there is a list of bars and weights already posted in the gym.

Measuring over... and it's finally time for them to train. Strongman does ascending singles on deadlift gripping the bar with only his middle fingers. There is much shouting after every rep. "Coach" only knows one cue "UP" and tells his lifter "good job" even after reps that were no where near being locked out at the top. He does work up to 316# which is incredibly impressive for one finger, full lockout or not. You may be asking yourself why 316? We'll he brought his own plastic collars and wanted his coach to make sure the exact weight was recorded in his log. Please note, the gym has multiple sets of calibrated eleiko collars and change plates down to 0.25 lb. No need to bring your own stuff if you need that kind of precision.

Swimsuit runs back and forth barefoot loading and unloading a bar. I don't see her do a lift for a solid 30 minutes. When she finally does it's an 85# deadlift looking thing. Nothing wrong with the weight (not making fun of anyone's ability)... but I don't feel like it was heavy enough to justify the shout of "lets go!" as she ran up to the bar or dropping the iron weights from the top at the end of each rep. "Coach" provides no feedback.

Strongman moves to 1 arm dumbbell presses... with a loadable dumbbell he brought from home and calibrated change plates. If you've been paying attention you already know what I'm going to say... the gym has those already. Never saw a single rep locked out properly but "Coach" congratulates and praises every rep.

Swimsuit squats a similar weight to her deadlift. I wish I had seen her form, but I didn't. All I ever experienced was her SLAMMING the bar back into the rack after every set. Which caused the entire gym to turn around to see what terrible accident had just caused that noise.
    All in all, I just don't know what they were trying to accomplish, why they came to this gym in particular if they weren't going to take advantage of the equipment it offers, and why they are wasting money on this "coach"

For your entertainment, Here is a photo of Strongman getting a measurement of an adjustable part on an already in use power rack. Photo credit to fellow forum member Diddyin94 strongman.jpg