starting strength gym
Page 2366 of 2422 FirstFirst ... 136618662266231623562364236523662367236823762416 ... LastLast
Results 23,651 to 23,660 of 24219

Thread: Joined a new gym last night. Hilarious

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    False/Suicide grip on the Press. Saw that for the first time last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    I tried a few times and met with nothing worth repeating.

I have decided to stop trying to telling the younkers to try to "bullseye womp rats."

It was a waste of time and I now have decided to let stupid be stupid.
    There is real wisdom to be learned here. No amount of logic or good argumentation will sway a mind that is not open to new ideas. It doesn't matter the topic.
    I used to try and convince people of the superiority of strength training. But it's the same shit every time, unless they come to you yourself.
    I practice kyokushin karate and even though everyone can see the my strength is a huuuge asset when fighting, they flat out refuse to believe that it's because of my moderately heavy lifts. It's always "why aren't you doing 100 airsquats?". Luckily a young talent has seen the light and asked me to train him, although it is still strictly secondary to karate, so I can only get him to lift twice a week.

I'm sure you know this, but MA has always viewed strength training with a jaundiced eye. It doesn't matter what the art is, and the more traditional the practice of that art, the greater the level of antipathy toward it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasmus View Post
    There is real wisdom to be learned here. No amount of logic or good argumentation will sway a mind that is not open to new ideas. It doesn't matter the topic.
    I used to try and convince people of the superiority of strength training. But it's the same shit every time, unless they come to you yourself.
    I practice kyokushin karate and even though everyone can see the my strength is a huuuge asset when fighting, they flat out refuse to believe that it's because of my moderately heavy lifts. It's always "why aren't you doing 100 airsquats?". Luckily a young talent has seen the light and asked me to train him, although it is still strictly secondary to karate, so I can only get him to lift twice a week.
    That's pretty funny, considering: YouTube

Not what Rip would consider an effective program for strength (500 rep(!) bench presses at 175lbs, according to my copy of <i>What is Karate</i>), but Oyama certainly wasn't averse to the barbell.

Quote Originally Posted by olddognewtricks View Post

Not what Rip would consider an effective program for strength (500 rep(!) bench presses at 175lbs, according to my copy of <i>What is Karate</i>), but Oyama certainly wasn't averse to the barbell.
    There was a brief period in the 60's when Donn Draeger actually had some influence in Japan and even wrote a fair book on the subject. Weight training for championship judo, : D. F. et al. Draeger: 9784770000286: Amazon.com: Books

It was more along the lines of bodybuilding of the period rather than SS, but it was better than the traditional high rep stuff. When Geesink crushed all comers from the Kodokan, Judo Inc. sat up and took notice. That notice lasted maybe 10-15 years and then got discarded for the the traditional regimes.

I doubt the striking arts ever got on board. It certainly wasn't apparent at the time when I was doing them.

I'm sure you know this, but MA has always viewed strength training with a jaundiced eye. It doesn't matter what the art is, and the more traditional the practice of that art, the greater the level of antipathy toward it.
    This certainly seems to be a common attitude among the Japanese arts (including Japanese karate) and some Chinese arts. A lot of older Okinawan karate styles would disagree about this.

For example, consider the following quote from the late Shorin-ryu master Nagamine Shoshin:

Before kumite practice can be engaged in, however, the student must have developed in <i>atemi</i>. Sufficient power can only be obtained through hard and relentless training of the muscles.
    (<i>Essence of Okinawan Karate-Do (1st edition), p.247). He goes on to advocate the use of "modern bodybuilding equipment" for such training. The photograph illustrating this section shows, front and center, a barbell loaded to what appears to be 275lbs. That's not a lot of weight by SS standards, but these guys didn't have the benefit of a lot of strength-specific coaching. Nagamine-sensei was also not a very large man (not even 5ft tall - nutritional status on Okinawa in the early 20th Century was pretty poor).

One of the oldest implements used for <i>hojo undo</i> (supplementary exercise) training in Okinawan systems is the <i>tan</i>, which originally consisted of a long rod with stone or (later) iron weights attached to each end: 404 Not Found.

That should look pretty familiar to folks hereabouts.

It's been pretty much displaced by the Olympic barbell these days.

Quote Originally Posted by olddognewtricks View Post

It occurs to me that a bit of explanation is probably in order for the non-dojo rats among us. The gentleman in the video is Oyama Masutatsu, the <i>founder</i> of Kyokushinkai (the karate style Rasmus practices). I think he'd be outraged that his students are discouraging effective strength training.

There was a brief period in the 60's when Donn Draeger actually had some influence in Japan and even wrote a fair book on the subject. Weight training for championship judo, : D. F. et al. Draeger: 9784770000286: Amazon.com: Books

It was more along the lines of bodybuilding of the period rather than SS, but it was better than the traditional high rep stuff. When Geesink crushed all comers from the Kodokan, Judo Inc. sat up and took notice. That notice lasted maybe 10-15 years and then got discarded for the the traditional regimes.

I doubt the striking arts ever got on board. It certainly wasn't apparent at the time when I was doing them.
    One would think baseball players and golfers last ~20 years would sell the strikers on lifting.

Hitting a ball would seem to be along the same principle of generating speed and torque.

New one for me. A guy politely asked me to move aside during my rest periods so that he could see himself in the mirror.

starting strength coach development program
    Back in the early '70's there was a book out called Strength Training for Kung Fu and Karate. I had a copy, but can't remember the authors' names. It was a pair of well-known martial artists at the time. It was basically a catalog of weight training movements and their related martial art movement. Example: the bench press was demonstrated as something that would strengthen the reverse punch.