starting strength gym
Page 2410 of 2422 FirstFirst ... 14101910231023602400240824092410241124122420 ... LastLast
Results 24,091 to 24,100 of 24218

Thread: Joined a new gym last night. Hilarious

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlocity2 View Post
    I know you were chalking up, but...if you could have taken a selfie with him in the background taking HIS selfie, with your loaded bar, well, that would have been the Best. Selfie. Ever.
    Well played sir, well played.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie623 View Post

Opinions ?? Was I too harsh ??
    What you said wasn't too harsh. Maybe how you said it was? Or at least it was to the guy in the next rack. Different people take things differently. The bigger issue is why isn't there a complete set of plates for each rack?!?! lol

Quote Originally Posted by danomite! View Post
    The bigger issue is why isn't there a complete set of plates for each rack?!?! lol
    You must go to a pretty nice gym.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Y View Post
    You must go to a pretty nice gym.
    I freely admit I am spoiled. The headcount in my office building is down to ~110 (lots of layoffs the past few years). There's plenty of room & equipment in the main gym and there's also an annex gym across the street. That's where the cross-shitters go. I also have a decent garage gym at home.

I'll never understand why gyms will drop thousands of dollars on one of many machines/treadmills/etc... but won't cough up an extra grand to make sure there's enough change plates for all of the free weight stations. At $2/lb $1,100 will buy you 2pr of 10s, 1pr of 5s & 1pr of 2.5s for 10 stations. Most gyms spend that on 1 rowing machine.

Just had to sit and politely listen to a work colleague lecture me for an hour how weight training ......

"is ok and I do see why you do it, but I won't because I don't want to get fat, you need to focus primarily on cardiovascular exercise, you need to run half marathons like I do"......

Didn't matter when I mentioned the HIIT effect of weight training or the many other benefits weight training as part of an intelligent and proven model to systematically increase load so the entire body slowly changes and adapts, that just running wares out you knees, leaves you under weight and more prone to injury and knee replacements, I was talking to a closed book.

Then I thought, was he talking to a closed book......? No, he wasn't.

Sometime last fall, I was doing my presses, and a couple walked up and started using the rack next to me. They put weight on the bar, but instead of lifting they just sat there and talked. I tuned them out and did my presses, but eventually I realized the guy was breaking up with the girl. He was saying stuff like, “I just don’t think you really care about me.” She didn’t say anything.

I guess they didn’t work out.

I learned that my gym is actually trying to find "better bars." Apparently there's one guy who squats 700, and all the trainers that I've talked to believe that the "whip" and the bottom is bending everything, even the Texas Power Bar and the Westside Power Bars. Which is even more funny because of how severely bent the TPB is.

Anyways, I took advantage of this and put in my suggestion for more Ohio Power Bars, pointing out that the ONE opb in our gym is straight and 'can take a lot of abuse' or whatever. Fingers crossed that they buy some.

Maybe good things will come of this? We'll see.
    Last edited by k_kws; 06-30-2019 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Being nicer

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Hicks View Post
    Sometime last fall, I was doing my presses, and a couple walked up and started using the rack next to me. They put weight on the bar, but instead of lifting they just sat there and talked. I tuned them out and did my presses, but eventually I realized the guy was breaking up with the girl. He was saying stuff like, “I just don’t think you really care about me.” She didn’t say anything.

I guess they didn’t work out.
    Maybe she just wasn't a good spotter ?

starting strength coach development program
    Overheard tonight at my gym: “How am I supposed to lift without gloves?”