starting strength gym
Page 2411 of 2422 FirstFirst ... 14111911231123612401240924102411241224132421 ... LastLast
Results 24,101 to 24,110 of 24218

Thread: Joined a new gym last night. Hilarious

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    A girl the other day was doing one-legged goblet squats while standing on a bench. She would squat down and touch the floor with her free leg on the opposite side of the bench, then stand and squat again and touch the floor on the same side.

135 lb quarter squats with hands literally on top of the plates. Extreme shoulder tightness? Maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by RJPinAZ View Post
    135 lb quarter squats with hands literally on top of the plates. Extreme shoulder tightness? Maybe.
    Sounds functional.

Why would you do a set of 5 deadlifts (bounced, of course) and then drop the last rep from the top? It's interesting how many people think the proper way to deadlift is mixed grip on all sets, and last rep must always be dropped, regardless of weight. On another occasion I watched a 'trainer' at my gym drop 135.

The mixed grip is used so you don't forget that you're doing deadlifts. When gripping the bar, look down at your hands. If it's double overhand, you're doing cleans. If it's mixed, you're deadlifting.

Quote Originally Posted by RJPinAZ View Post
    Why would you do a set of 5 deadlifts (bounced, of course) and then drop the last rep from the top? It's interesting how many people think the proper way to deadlift is mixed grip on all sets, and last rep must always be dropped, regardless of weight. On another occasion I watched a 'trainer' at my gym drop 135.
    Deadlifts only count if everyone in the gym is watching. By dropping the bar enough noise is generated to get everyone's attention and thus validating the lift. I thought everyone knew this?

Quote Originally Posted by danomite! View Post
    Deadlifts only count if everyone in the gym is watching. By dropping the bar enough noise is generated to get everyone's attention and thus validating the lift. I thought everyone knew this?
    Oh, I do not miss that guy. Haven't seen him in the gym in about a year. He'd drop the empty bar to the floor or into the hooks for every movement. Then he'd slam the bar once he added any amount of weight to it. I don't think that I ever saw him get up to 45lb plates for any movement.

That's when it became fun, squatting or deadlifting 250lb+ and quietly putting it back in the hooks or onto the ground. It would be even more fun now at working sets of 350lb+.

Almost no one in Chinese commercial gyms can bench 225, so rows become a substitute bro exercise. Last night about five of them work working one bar, all with the same weights... but only one guy was practically throwing the weight on the floor at the end of every set, causing a loud bang. It was weird to watch, but you couldn’t really tune them out because it was so loud every time it happened. They then moved on to T-bar rows with much the same effect.

That would have been the stupidest thing I’d seen last night if it weren’t also the night that someone finally loaded every single plate in the gym that wasn’t already on my bar onto the leg press sled, with two guys holding extra plates in place on top of the other plates for extra weight, and then did the minimum possible range of motion for reps while screaming. The bros were duly impressed. I feel like I got additional credits towards my gym idiocy degree by being present.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Y View Post
    Almost no one in Chinese commercial gyms can bench 225, so rows become a substitute bro exercise. Last night about five of them work working one bar, all with the same weights... but only one guy was practically throwing the weight on the floor at the end of every set, causing a loud bang. It was weird to watch, but you couldn’t really tune them out because it was so loud every time it happened. They then moved on to T-bar rows with much the same effect.

That would have been the stupidest thing I’d seen last night if it weren’t also the night that someone finally loaded every single plate in the gym that wasn’t already on my bar onto the leg press sled, with two guys holding extra plates in place on top of the other plates for extra weight, and then did the minimum possible range of motion for reps while screaming. The bros were duly impressed. I feel like I got additional credits towards my gym idiocy degree by being present.
    I have a visual though a video of the rowing team would be hilarious.

starting strength coach development program
    Showed up to the gym and there were two barbells that appear to have been lathered with liquid chalk. Like someone just dumped a squeezy-bottle of that shit on there and rubbed it on the whole thing except the sleeves. The bars were WHITE. Ridiculous.