starting strength gym
Page 399 of 2422 FirstFirst ... 2993493893973983994004014094494998991399 ... LastLast
Results 3,981 to 3,990 of 24219

Thread: Joined a new gym last night. Hilarious

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I train with highly competitive Oly lifters. None do BTN presses and most of them do BTN push presses and jerks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    The best OLY lifter I know still does strict BNP's as a injury prevention exercise, to keep his rotator cuff STRONG.
    As Jamie has pointed out several times there is a difference between BHN strict presses and olympic variations from behind the neck. However, I dont think you understand the mechanism of injury

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    Oly lifters are more concerned with locking out/supporting and dropping under the larget amount of weight rather than pressing it up. But when they perform behind the neck push jerks, they drop very heavy weights back onto their traps for reps. They are obviously not concerned about fucking up their RC's, because they have practiced lifting shit from behind the neck for a long time. Starting with easy/stable stuff right at the beginning, like strict behind neck presses.

The best OLY lifter I know still does strict BNP's as a injury prevention exercise, to keep his rotator cuff STRONG.
    If you wanted to support an argument about BNPs, you probably should have used a BNP as an example. Now it sounds like you're just saying it because you got called out on the invalidity of your point. Also, I don't think it's the dropping the weight back on the traps, I think the issue stems from putting the shoulders under load while rotated in such a position.

My coworker was just speaking to two female coworkers about the bodyblade. Apparently it's a thin plank that you shake back and forth. I think I saw an infomercial on this once.

One of the women goes, "Oh, like the shake weight!"

I don't think he caught on to the ridiculousness of it.

I kept my mouth shut.

Spend 10 minutes at the locker room looking for my shit today. I had forgotten where I put it.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnivroar View Post
    Spend 10 minutes at the locker room looking for my shit today. I had forgotten where I put it.
    I'm happy to hear that happens to the young'ns too.

Quote Originally Posted by LimieJosh View Post
    As Jamie has pointed out several times there is a difference between BHN strict presses and olympic variations from behind the neck. However, I dont think you understand the mechanism of injury
    A rank novice would start with the simpler, safer variants (like strict BNP's) before moving on to the more advanced olympic variants.

Lets rewind to my original point though, if behind neck presses feel good for you - no straining, impingement, capsule stress etc. Then there is no reason not to do them, as they are a great exercise. I dont think the typical injury fears about behind neck exercises apply to everyone.

At the same time I believe a lot of popularly accepted exercises like normal presses, bench presses, Dips, sit-ups, push ups, squats, deadlifts, powercleans and most definetely snatches can all be totally unsuitable and dangerous for certain people. I for one have very problematic weak shoulders - BNP's feel good, but normal push ups kill my shoulders.

Quote Originally Posted by dastardly View Post
    a rank novice would start with the simpler, safer variants (like strict bnp's)
    q.e.d.

EDIT: That's bizzare. I wrote the above in capitals, they appear on my screen as capitals, but as soon as IO press the post/save button they transform into lower case letters. I think this forum is officially fucking with me, what this this and the discussion of the pecs locking out the elbow. I'm off to bury myself in wine.
    Last edited by LimieJosh; 04-06-2011 at 04:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LimieJosh View Post
    q.e.d.

EDIT: That's bizzare. I wrote the above in capitals, they appear on my screen as capitals, but as soon as IO press the post/save button they transform into lower case letters. I think this forum is officially fucking with me, what this this and the discussion of the pecs locking out the elbow. I'm off to bury myself in wine.
    It's set to turn posts with all caps into all lower case to combat the "caps lock" problem that used to be so rampant.

starting strength coach development program
    "A rank novice would start with the simpler, safer variants (like strict BNP's) before moving on to the more advanced olympic variants."

I would argue that the BTN press is hard on the shoulders than the BTN push press. The shoulders don't engage much at the bottom. The catch is mostly with the legs.