starting strength gym
Page 4 of 2422 FirstFirst ... 2345614541045041004 ... LastLast

Thread: Joined a new gym last night. Hilarious

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Let us know if you see anyone spotting their partner as they do presses in the smith machine. I see that. All. The. Time.

Hah, okay. It IS Friday too. So hopefully there will be a lot of people near me at the squat rack.

Gonna be awesome.

Have fun at the zoo.

Whatchawannabet that if something is removed to make more room, it won't be the machines!

Here's what I don't get. The guys that bench, squat, dead lift, C&J and press big weights get attention. Every one watches. THey all seem very impressed by those excersize, but almost no one does them.

I don't understand why

Heh that reminds me of some story a lady shared at the bb.com forum.

Copypasta cause that's how I roll:

One bloke with shot-put-shoulders but little else developed (he's very lean and small, great potential but only does shoulder stuff with dumbells) saw me doing DB rows.
    "What are you doing?"
    "A dumbell row."
    "What does that work."
    I pointed, "Biceps, rear shoulder, upper back."
    "Wow, you have 25kg dumbells, I can't do that."
    "Sure you can, you have huge shoulders. Try." He pumped out 8 reps."Okay, mate, now the other arm."
    "I can't do that."
    "You just did. Do the other arm." 8 reps went out with the other arm. "See? Told you you could do it."
    "I can't do that, it's too heavy."
    "What do you mean you can't do it? You just did."
    "No, no," he shook his head walking away.
    Grrr and it turns out it was Kyle who said this, not a lady.

My memory isn't perfect.

THey all seem very impressed by those excersize, but almost no one does them.
    I think people get intimidated because A) they haven't seen it in Flex, and it is therefore new and scary B) they assume that they aren't strong enough to it C) they have heard bad things about it, like it hurt your knees and give them the clap.

I get plenty of those looks from high school football and basketball players when I do cleans and snatches. I am not very good at them, but these kids seem dead sure that they could never do a 135# clean, despite being bigger and (probably) more genetically gifted than I am.

Thanks for passing on my little story, BryanM

Today while I was training someone I saw an unusual exercise. The guy grabbed two dumbells and the step in front of the mirror, put one foot on the step, the other leg out behind him, and leant in and did an elbow flex with each arm. After several reps he changed leg.

It was a sort of combined bicep curl / hip flexor stretch. I'm not sure what he was hoping to achieve. I think perhaps he'd seen the pose in Men's Health or something, it's the sort of thing the models are always doing.

The person I was training was very annoyed, he was obscuring her view of herself while she was doing low rack pulls

Barbell loaded with 135 lbs on the traps with a foam cover. 10 reps of shitty high squat and then...wait for it...jump up and down like a goddamn fool. Fuck dem knee joints, fuck em' good.

starting strength coach development program
    Haha, my current gym is renovating and a lot of people are coming in to check out. During one of the tours they happened to swing by my 425x9 deadlift work set, they all looked like scared cows. Priceless.