starting strength gym
Page 400 of 2422 FirstFirst ... 3003503903983994004014024104505009001400 ... LastLast
Results 3,991 to 4,000 of 24218

Thread: Joined a new gym last night. Hilarious

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnivroar View Post
    Spend 10 minutes at the locker room looking for my shit today. I had forgotten where I put it.
    If your shit is not up your ass or in the toilet bowl, you're doing it wrong.

Today one of my clients brought her 3 children with her, they're between 5 and 8. We got out the kettlebells and did swings followed by a run across the stadium and back, rows and run, etc. The kids ran with us.

When she did inverted rows on the rings, one of her daughters was very impressed. On the next set, she said, "The same again, mum, that's boring! Do a backflip!"

All we needed was the dad and I would have had the whole family there. This is something they never told me about in PT school.

I observed one of the PT's in my gym doing kettlebell swings with a client yesterday, but between each rep he would shove the kettlebell down, so it went down about twice as fast as it would otherwise.... can anyone confirm that there is anything wrong with this?

Quote Originally Posted by aron View Post
    I observed one of the PT's in my gym doing kettlebell swings with a client yesterday, but between each rep he would shove the kettlebell down, so it went down about twice as fast as it would otherwise.... can anyone confirm that there is anything wrong with this?
    Looks like that PT is on a one way road to getting hit in the face with a pood of russian iron.

This thread is too funny, yet very sad at the same time.

I actually did join a new gym this week. Unfortunately, it really isn't much better than my previous gym.

Gyms are such comedies it seems.

I saw a college-aged guy last night load up a curl bar with 45s then load a bar on the squat rack to 405 (I guess for shrugs). He does a set of curls then adds 90 lbs to the bar on the rack. He then does another set and adds 20 lbs to the bar on the rack. He then does a few more sets of curls then some bullshit right in front of the dumbbell rack. He got there right as I started warming up for deadlifts. I never did see what he did with the 515 he had on the rack, and I'm not really sure why he felt like he had to load up that bar before he even started his workout. My guess is to keep others from coming over and curling in his spot.

Quote Originally Posted by ColoWayno View Post
    I'm happy to hear that happens to the young'ns too.
    It was embarrassing, I was walking around the entire locker room (it's big) opening everything and mumblimg "some motherfuckers stole my shit! can't be serious!" then I find it right where I had left it...

"but between each rep he would shove the kettlebell down"

You are supposed to bring the KB down with your lats; not just let gravity bring it down or so I"m told. He could be helping her get used to that. I don't know many coaching techniques for KB movements.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
    "but between each rep he would shove the kettlebell down"

You are supposed to bring the KB down with your lats; not just let gravity bring it down or so I"m told. He could be helping her get used to that. I don't know many coaching techniques for KB movements.
    "Hardstyle" is apparently to tense at the top of the movement. Apparently this is much harder then not tensing. You do not pull the bell down. The only way I can see that ending is badly.

I should note that I know about as much as Sea Biscuits on this subject. Blind leading the blind etc.

Quote Originally Posted by aron View Post
    Dan John recommends it.

Basically, you have to remember that the swing is NOT a half-squat with a front raise. It's a hip snap preceded by shoving the kettlebell BACK. Just think of it as like a kid's swing - you push from one side, it swings naturally to the other. In the KB swing, you push it BACK and when you come up and snap your hips, it swings naturally forwards.

Just as Rip's hand pushing down on the sacrum in the squat cues "hip drive", so too Dan John's slapdown of the KB in the swing cue "swing it BACK, let it snap forward with your hips."

starting strength coach development program
    New guy at the gym yesterday. Looked and dressed very euro. Tight shirt, tight, skinny fashion-y sweatpants. Some sort of bright red nike shoe that resembled chucks. Exquisitely groomed 3-day beard.

He walked in while I was benching and looked around. He had that somewhat desperate "I don't know what the fuck I'm doing" look in his eyes. He stood there while I sized him up, and decided to hate him immediately. After about 15 seconds of just standing there, he walks over to the platform, and I start getting my hopes up. Maybe I was wrong. He might be the random guy that shows up and busts out big oly lifts out of nowhere.

Nope.

He grabbed a medicine ball and started doing planks with his elbows on the ball. On the platform. I was really hoping to finish my benching quickly so that I could ask him to move while clarifying what the platform is for. Unfortunately, he vanished during one of my bench sets and I lost track of him.

Even if I had never done any sort of powerlifting or oly lifting, I would be able to reason that the big raised platform with rubber on each side is for a specific type of training, not stretching or some shit.