starting strength gym
Page 401 of 2422 FirstFirst ... 3013513913994004014024034114515019011401 ... LastLast
Results 4,001 to 4,010 of 24218

Thread: Joined a new gym last night. Hilarious

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by RobCor View Post
    Even if I had never done any sort of powerlifting or oly lifting, I would be able to reason that the big raised platform with rubber on each side is for a specific type of training, not stretching or some shit.
    You would think so, but in my gym actually taking pieces of equipment from other parts of the gym to the rack is very common. BB biceps curls in the rack makes some sort of sense, but why would you think this is the spot to do a DB curl? Directly underneath the pull up bars is another good one. It's like the fucking thing has a moron magnet.

People go to do their funky exercises wherever

(a) there is a free space, and
    (2) there are mirrors

Power racks in mainstream gyms are usually free, and have mirrors next to them. Thus the curling, medicine ball pushups and so on.

The answer to this is to ensure that power racks are never free of people doing powerlifts in them. Competent people ought to be coaching others to squat, press, clean and so on. Failing that, smash the mirrors. You won't find people going to exercise in the one mirrorless corner of the gym.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Aaron View Post
    People go to do their funky exercises wherever

(a) there is a free space, and
    (2) there are mirrors
    I would like to add:

3 (or c): wherever they will be most in the way.

Like doing bench flies right by the dumbells rack.
    Or upright rows with an oly barbell in the middle of the corridor that links the cardio theatre to the weightroom.
    I'm sure you can think of other examples.

IPB

Quote Originally Posted by LimieJosh View Post
    You would think so, but in my gym actually taking pieces of equipment from other parts of the gym to the rack is very common. BB biceps curls in the rack makes some sort of sense, but why would you think this is the spot to do a DB curl? Directly underneath the pull up bars is another good one. It's like the fucking thing has a moron magnet.
    Definitely a moron magnet.

I was floored when, earlier this week, one of the owners of my gym (deadlifts 600+lbs just a belt) had a new guy that looked like he had some BB experience doing barbell curls in one of the half racks. I'm sure he would have moved if I needed the rack, but...why?

Quote Originally Posted by RobCor View Post
    I was floored when, earlier this week, one of the owners of my gym (deadlifts 600+lbs just a belt) had a new guy that looked like he had some BB experience doing barbell curls in one of the half racks. I'm sure he would have moved if I needed the rack, but...why?
    Because it's much too exhausting to pick up the barbell all the way from the floor. Tha'st why so many guys like the machines - they get to sit down.

Saw another case of a pretty heavily muscled guy showing an untrained noob the ropes. While the kid was doing dumbbell rows he told him to do them much faster because in this exercise you want to hit the fast twitch muscle fibers! He then made the kid do every conceivable biceps exercise that exists including some I hadn't seen before.

After witnessing similar scenes several times now, I'm convinced that some guys are big and muscular in spite of their training. There are a lot of big strong guys that don't have a clue on how to train novices. Either that or they get a kick out of knocking some novice's dick in the dirt to bolster their own egos.

Quote Originally Posted by El Viejo View Post
    While the kid was doing dumbbell rows he told him to do them much faster because in this exercise you want to hit the fast twitch muscle fibers! He then made the kid do every conceivable biceps exercise that exists including some I hadn't seen before.
    picard.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by El Viejo View Post
    After witnessing similar scenes several times now, I'm convinced that some guys are big and muscular in spite of their training. There are a lot of big strong guys that don't have a clue on how to train novices. Either that or they get a kick out of knocking some novice's dick in the dirt to bolster their own egos.
    A former coworker started working out, and I asked what he was doing. he told me he was using various machines for sets of 10-15. I started to try to educate him, but he told me that the guy he got it from was huge, and had gotten it from a personal trainer. Pretty sure I gave up at that point.

From what I've read from some personal trainers they seem to forget where they came from. Like one body builder talking about how he used to do squats and deadlifts and heavy bench and upper back work. He then said he didn't get as big or as cut doing that as the 10-15 reps that he now does on the machines and isolation excersizes.

Maybe all that heavy lifting set up the base for his now hugeness.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
    Maybe all that heavy lifting set up the base for his now hugeness.
    Unpossible.

Also bear in mind, if someone's been hitting the machines and dumbbells consistently for years, and has now gotten strong in high rep ranges on those excersises, chances are they'll be pretty big. If you ask some of the really big guys training retardedly how long they've been lifting for, chances are its upwards of 10 years.

starting strength coach development program
    Just saw my old pastor at the gym. As he was getting ready to do another set I asked him, "hey, you know what they call that type of curl?".
    "No, What?", he replied.
    "Preacher curls".

He didn't get it so I had to explain about the "pulpit".