starting strength gym
Page 41 of 2422 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351911415411041 ... LastLast

Thread: Joined a new gym last night. Hilarious

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I saw two bizarre things at the gym yesterday.

First, a girl on the lat pull-down machine. The weight was very light and she was pulling it down at about 100 mph. She then just let it go back up without providing any resistance. The result was that it went up so fast that it actually lifted her up off the seat on each rep. She did one set of about 6 million reps.

Second, a couple of new guys joined the gym and told the guy they didnt know what to do so one of the gym instructors (janitors?) showed him. He showed him how to do a squat and myself and several others were just staring in disbelief. At the down position he was up on his toes like a ballerina with his knees about 6 inches in front of his toes and his back almost totally vertical. I felt really sorry for the new guys since they now think that is the right way to do it. On the bright side they probably wont ever do another squat, just curls and bench...

Quote Originally Posted by aussieluke View Post
    New level of awesome today:

Guy A lying on floor

Girl A stood over his head, guy A holding her ankles to keep himself on the floor whilst doing leg raises, whilst...

Guy B pushes guy A's feet back down to the floor as hard as possible at the top of each rep.

...oh and Guy C is dropping a medicine ball on Guy A's abz over and over again

on his second set of about a million reps, I was walking past to get more plates (for squats!) and I offered to kick him in the balls each rep. The guys 'helping' him laughed ...I hoped they realised just how rediculous the situation was.
    That reminded me of the guy (older, pretty strong martial arts guy) doing skull crushers while his girl friend (a lot younger) punched him in the gut. I told them I was going to tune into cops later to see if they made it on. They laughed and I didn't get beat up!

Quote Originally Posted by colowayno View Post
    that reminded me of the guy (older, pretty strong martial arts guy) doing skull crushers while his girl friend (a lot younger) punched him in the gut. I told them i was going to tune into cops later to see if they made it on. They laughed and i didn't get beat up!
    lol

Remember, Squats are dangerous...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GF7fQoHaRBo

-Bowdirk

Quote Originally Posted by Gottatri2lift View Post
    Heard one guy at the gym yesterday ask a buddy to help him with the 105 pound barbell decline bench. He just came off the 45 pound db bench press. He was explaining to his buddy about "the burnout process". The guy may have been 130 pounds and his forearms and upperarms were very close in size.
    He wasn't this guy was he http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlfdPFjcfZY& ?

Quote Originally Posted by 51M0n View Post
    I watched 'Step 3 - The Movement' for 20 seconds. Still not sure if I saw anything really move. It was more like a tree swaying. Did you read the explanation in the column on the left? I can't believe people set themselves up for ridicule by posting shit like this.

I work out at the local college gym. It's small, they have mostly the entire Nautilus series and small free weight section in the back.

What's funny is no matter what day I go or what time morning or afternoon it's always BENCH & CURL day. Just yesterday I watched these two kids run through just about every curl exercise possible. They barely weight 200lbs put together. I must admit though *that* was me when I was their age too.

One day the instructor was showing a bunch of students how to squat without hurting their knees. This entailed loading up the Smith Machine, getting under the bar and putting their feet way out in front of them. His reasoning was that when you squat with your feet under you it causes a lot of shearing in the knees. Using the Smith Machine cures that problem.

I guess the instructor wasn't up on his physics; it's a shearing force when it's parallel to the face of the material, so the femur/tibia will have more shearing force when the foot is further out.

They tend to be a bit muddled on their physics - my PT school teacher, otherwise a very smart guy, his manual said that a bullet could knock someone down just from momentum. Given that every action has an equal and opposite reaction, it makes me wonder how the shooter stayed upright. Others were worse, mixing up force and momentum, etc.

Probably the instructor just had crap core strength, and couldn't stand upright for long with any decent weight on his back, the Smith machine saved him from the embarrassment of going back to squats with 135lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Aaron View Post
    I guess the instructor wasn't up on his physics; it's a shearing force when it's parallel to the face of the material, so the femur/tibia will have more shearing force when the foot is further out.

Exactly. It didn't make any sense to me but the kids seemed really impressed with the "science". I just continued to squat in the rack disregarding my knee health and setting a bad example while he lectured.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavin View Post
    All the while, i'm working up to 270 in front of them. I keep watching as they add more weight to the bar after every set of 10. I finally get ready to do my workset(270x1x5) and they are putting their last load on the bar as well. I count it up and it maxes out at 190lbs. As i'm resting to get this heavy ass load off the floor, I can hear them talking amongst themselves. "Dude, just remember, this is what our grip failed on last time so we've gotta make sure that we don't let that happen again!" The other replies, "Nah, I think it was a little more than this." This is when one of them pulls out some of those cotton wrist straps, "just in case."

I almost shit my pants from trying not to laugh directly at them as i'm getting ready to lift 270# 5 times off the floor.

And I almost shit my pants laughing at how pompous and pretentious you are.

They were pulling ~200 for sets of 10, and you WORKED UP TO a max set of 275 for 5 reps. You're so much cooler than they are.

Seriously...get over yourself.