starting strength gym
Page 449 of 2422 FirstFirst ... 3493994394474484494504514594995499491449 ... LastLast
Results 4,481 to 4,490 of 24219

Thread: Joined a new gym last night. Hilarious

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by hsilman View Post
    You just described everyone else who squats in my gym other than me. I'm still jealous of the guy who half front squat 495 working in with me on Friday. I don't think I could even unrack it. The guy also deadlift bounces somewhere north of 500 with straps for 5-6 reps. After I saw him deadlifting with semi-legitimate form I was really hoping to see something awesome with the front squats, but they just kept getting worse and worse.
    1/2 squats at 495 aren't that bad considering the weight. I normally am not a form nazi, and if a guy is a little above parallel and moving solid weight I respect that. But when 1/4 turns to 1/8 and then eventually 1/32, things are getting bad. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Callador View Post
    1/2 squats at 495 aren't that bad considering the weight. I normally am not a form nazi, and if a guy is a little above parallel and moving solid weight I respect that. But when 1/4 turns to 1/8 and then eventually 1/32, things are getting bad. :-)
    A kid in my gym does this. He always pulls up in the rack next to mine. Skinny early 20s looking guy. Seems to have an attitude. Goes up to like 225lbs and the reps just get shallower and shallower. Meanwhile I've got 315+ going to depth. Right next to him.

Some people never learn.

Quote Originally Posted by RobCor View Post
    A kid in my gym does this. He always pulls up in the rack next to mine. Skinny early 20s looking guy. Seems to have an attitude. Goes up to like 225lbs and the reps just get shallower and shallower. Meanwhile I've got 315+ going to depth. Right next to him.

Some people never learn.
    I remember one time some guy got what I assume was his girlfriend to stop what she was doing and come watch him, I dunno, I guess about 1/3 squat 3 plates, while I was in the rack next to them going full depth with 10lbs more. I lih'd

About 3 weeks ago, two guys started fucking up my 5:00 a.m. workouts at a gym where the weight room was always empty at that time.

They're both pretty muscular, loud, tank-topped, etc.--typical bros.

Yesterday's workout was 6" squats with 225. Today's was 3" bench press with 405. Every day finishes with 30 minutes of work on the guns.

What's really great is one guy(wearing thongs) is a trainer at the gym, and the other is a High School wrestling coach. Awesome to know that youngsters will be learning from these two douchebags.

I;ve been having some problems with my gym over the past 6 months or so, but it came to a head today. As I weas warming up in the rack one of the sales guys approached me and told me I was not allowed to bring my gym bag onto the floor anymore. I gave him a "WTF" look so he responded by explaining that equipment had been going missing and their solution was to ban gym bags so people couldnt carry out stuff in them. I emptied my bag out at his feet (a belt, a chain and carabiner to attach to the belt, 6 X 5/8lb magnetic plates, chalk bucket, 1 pair of soccer socks, 2 X PVC pipes, 1 softball, 1 lacrosse ball, 1 canvas band, training log and pen, Ipod and two sets of headphones) and asked him how the F I was supposed to be able to bring all of that with me if I'm not allowed a bag. His response was that it was all unneccesary and walked away. Well, fuck them. It's a nonsense rule, especially considering they provide none of the things I bring with me. It wasn't a rule when I joined and wasnt part of the membership contract of I signed. I'll keep bringing it in until they kick me out and revoke my membership.

He later tried to patch things up with me by talking to me about front sqts. He didnt like that they were resting on my shoulders as it took the stress away from my forearms. Apparently he's never done something that worked his grip as well as front squats. I explained that he was costing himself probably 200lbs by having to actually grip it and he said, "yeah, but my grip, man". Twat.

"Oh, none of this is necessary? Then you should be able to deadlift just as much as me without any of it. No? Well, shut the fuck up then."

He's a 60 year old 160lb skinny fat who "lifts' in gloves. After the front sqt conversation he explained the gym was about to submit plans to expand by 11,000sq ft. Apparently this will all be in the free weight area, and so when I asked what they had planned to fill the additional space (please be at least 1 platform and additional racks) he said "Hammer Strength". I suppose that makes sense considering the multitude of those things we already have already occupies about 33% of the existing "free weight" area.

I wasn't really joking, I actually would have said what was in my post (well, except the stfu part, I'm somewhat civil). How does he reserve the right to tell you you're training wrong?

It's just one of those fields where everyone is an expert.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by LimieJosh View Post
    I;ve been having some problems with my gym over the past 6 months or so, but it came to a head today. As I weas warming up in the rack one of the sales guys approached me and told me I was not allowed to bring my gym bag onto the floor anymore. I gave him a "WTF" look so he responded by explaining that equipment had been going missing and their solution was to ban gym bags so people couldnt carry out stuff in them. I emptied my bag out at his feet (a belt, a chain and carabiner to attach to the belt, 6 X 5/8lb magnetic plates, chalk bucket, 1 pair of soccer socks, 2 X PVC pipes, 1 softball, 1 lacrosse ball, 1 canvas band, training log and pen, Ipod and two sets of headphones) and asked him how the F I was supposed to be able to bring all of that with me if I'm not allowed a bag. His response was that it was all unneccesary and walked away. Well, fuck them. It's a nonsense rule, especially considering they provide none of the things I bring with me. It wasn't a rule when I joined and wasnt part of the membership contract of I signed. I'll keep bringing it in until they kick me out and revoke my membership.

He later tried to patch things up with me by talking to me about front sqts. He didnt like that they were resting on my shoulders as it took the stress away from my forearms. Apparently he's never done something that worked his grip as well as front squats. I explained that he was costing himself probably 200lbs by having to actually grip it and he said, "yeah, but my grip, man". Twat.
    LJ, what the shit are you carrying all that stuff around for? Doesn't your gym have a locker room or something? All you need on the floor is chalk, belt, and I guess your ipod.