starting strength gym
Page 451 of 2422 FirstFirst ... 3514014414494504514524534615015519511451 ... LastLast
Results 4,501 to 4,510 of 24218

Thread: Joined a new gym last night. Hilarious

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    There's a guy at my gym who I've seen trying to do squats, and I've introduced myself and said hi to him on a few occasions.

Yesterday I saw him trying to clean and press 65lbs, but he had no idea what he was doing. One of the big strong guys in my gym (~380lb bench) walked up to him on the platform and started coaching, but I couldn't hear what he was saying. Bear in mind that I've never seen the strong guy clean, ever, and he always remarks to me how good my form is on squats/cleans/bench and laments that his is bad. He is a very nice guy, and naturally strong, but he is weak on the technical points of these lifts.

So the new guy continues trying to clean after big strong guy walks away, but now he's doing weirder stuff. Sets up with his arms bent and just tries to fucking jump. Watching his elbows lock out under that kind of force made my elbows hurt just watching it. Of course he also muscles it up. I took this as an opportunity to come by and say hi, and I let him know that if he ever wants advice I'd be very happy to help. He responds by asking a few questions, which I answer. I also tell him not to jump off the ground, to straighten his arms before he pulls, to put the bar over his mid-foot, and to not use his arms. He responds by saying that big strong guy told him to jump straight off the ground and to use his arms.

Frustrated, I explained that there are a few ways to teach the clean, but that none of the ones I'm aware of include those points. I asked him what program he was on, and he said, "Well I just finished Muscle & Fitness's Super Shredder (or something) and now I'm doing Arnold's something something."

I figure that Arnie must know what he's doing, but when he explained what the program called for I could tell it's more of a BB routine. Too advanced for him, in my opinion. He's barely benching 135lbs.

I don't think he'll make much progress, but I tried to help. I told him about SS if he wants to look at another program.

Quote Originally Posted by 51M0n View Post
    I racked I noticed that two of the four plates on one side were were getting close to falling off the bar (which would have been a massive accident).
    You must have some wonky technique, either that or very loose plates. Loads of people dont use collars, bar should stay horizontal and plates should not slide.

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    You must have some wonky technique
    nothing like polite British understatement to tactfully alert other people of their fallibility.

:-)

IPB

Quote Originally Posted by byzkarl View Post
    So, I went to my local community gym, as I have been doing for years. It has one squat rack, and I'm the only one who ever uses it. It was time for deadlifts, and I went up to the rack. There was an older couple standing in front of it waving the 5 lb vinyl weights around in some sort of dance. I politely put my log and water bottle by the rack to wait for them to be done. They stared at me a bit, and then asked me if I wanted to use the rack. I said yes, and they reluctantly moved over about 5 feet.

So, I started warming up with the bar, and I heard the man laughing at me: "Was that all?" I ignored him, but after I did another set, the woman starts cursing me out, calling me rude. "It's first come, first serve!" I pointed out that they weren't using the squat rack, they were using the floor, which they could do anywhere in the gym. She didn't like this, and continued to call me rude. I suggested that we go talk to the management, and she said "I done with you!" She wasn't, however, and proceeded to go around the gym telling everyone else what a jerk I was. Finally other patrons started yelling at me too: "Leave the lady alone!"

Needless to say, I have switched gyms to a place where I am no longer the youngest and strongest guy in the gym. (I'm 39).
    Not to be a dick, but you don't need a squat rack to deadlift. In fact, I don't even know how you could DL in a squat rack. In front of one, sure, but at that point, you are basically curling/shrugging/dancing/whatever it is that pisses everyone off in the rack. Just go find an empty spot about 7'x4' and do your deadlifts. I usually do mine either in between my gym's two racks, or in front of one of the less popular machines, like those weird step resistance things.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Aaron View Post
    Today during my gym shift I saw a bro setting up to do curls. He went to the preacher curl bench, removed the seat, removed the rack the ez curl bar sits in, and then hopped on, his belly on the slanted bit and his upper arms on the vertical bit, ie backwards. He did half reps with about 20kg. He finished, I asked, "Don't like it the regular way?"
    "Just thought I'd change it up. It's okay to do it that way?"
    "Doing curls backwards is just as useful as doing them forwards. I would be a bit worried about getting that pipe up my jacksie, but that's up to you. So long as you put it back the way you found it I'm happy."
    "Cool."

I don't know what the fuck he thought he was accomplishing.
    This must be a world-wide phenomenon now. Just the other day, I had to move the preacher curl away from the platform since it was a little too close. I noticed the seat was off of it, and I thought that was strange. I even commented to another guy about it not feeling good sitting on the pipe. I put the seat back on and moved it. Maybe this "modification" was in Men's Health this month?

Quote Originally Posted by Draft View Post
    Not to be a dick, but you don't need a squat rack to deadlift. In fact, I don't even know how you could DL in a squat rack. In front of one, sure, but at that point, you are basically curling/shrugging/dancing/whatever it is that pisses everyone off in the rack. Just go find an empty spot about 7'x4' and do your deadlifts. I usually do mine either in between my gym's two racks, or in front of one of the less popular machines, like those weird step resistance things.
    I never did get that either. On a couple of other forums I visit, people complain about having to wait for a "bro" to finish curling in the rack, so they can start DLing. I think, DLing in the rack? Why? Unless they are doing rackpulls, they are just hogging equipment other people could be using for squats, GM's etc. The only logical idea I can think of is that they want to protect people from stepping near the bar. If you DL in the power rack with the pins pulled out, the metal frame sort of keeps people away. If they get close on the sides they can still get hit, but the rack is like a warning flag. I still think it is better to just do it on the floor. People will get the idea.

Most globo gyms are so packed with benches and other equipment that there isnt floor space to pull from the floor other than in the cage or right in front of the rack. In my gym the only other place is in the corner between the wall and the second rack, but that is often occupied with people doing lunges and what ever other silly shit people do in the "free weight" section.

Quote Originally Posted by Draft View Post
    You aren't being a dick. There really aren't too many other places in the gym I could have used, but honestly I didn't even think of it. I was just waiting for them to move.

Quote Originally Posted by LimieJosh View Post
    Every single thing in that bag is something I use/need on the floor at some point during the workout (except the second set of headphones). PVC pipes and balls are used during rest intervals on whatever I feel needs work, the band I might use to stretch my shoulders in between sets of sqts. The rest should be self explanatory. I'll be Fed if I;m goign to leave my bag in the locker and go back and forth 20 times a session and returning with only what I need at the very moment.
    Well maybe your body is just in a different state than mine. I definitely don't need PVC or bands while I'm resting. I just sit there and maybe stretch if my quad feels tight or something. And, yeah, in the event that I need to change to my non-squat shoes for some reason I just walk to the locker room and come back.

To each their own. I side with the gym employee in this case. A million bags sitting around the gym would make me rage.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Callador View Post
    This must be a world-wide phenomenon now. Just the other day, I had to move the preacher curl away from the platform since it was a little too close. I noticed the seat was off of it, and I thought that was strange. I even commented to another guy about it not feeling good sitting on the pipe. I put the seat back on and moved it. Maybe this "modification" was in Men's Health this month?
    Huh. I saw this today as well.

This same individual was also using a bench to hold a bar loaded to 40kg so he could pick it up to do rows with. After he was done he would throw it down on the bench, making quite a lot of noise. Was interesting to watch.