starting strength gym
Page 491 of 2422 FirstFirst ... 3914414814894904914924935015415919911491 ... LastLast
Results 4,901 to 4,910 of 24218

Thread: Joined a new gym last night. Hilarious

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    They're usually done lower, with the feet (heels) on the floor and they're called "fat man pullups". My coach, who benches 240kg (639 lbs) at 93kg (204 lbs) does them with 3 plates on his chest. They're a useful row variation.

Quote Originally Posted by BBQ View Post
    Is there a letter behind the pole? If not, lol.
    No there's not. I think it stands for "association" but then again, isn't "association club" redundant?

I don't understand the French...

Quote Originally Posted by hbriem View Post
    They're usually done lower, with the feet (heels) on the floor and they're called "fat man pullups". My coach, who benches 240kg (639 lbs) at 93kg (204 lbs) does them with 3 plates on his chest. They're a useful row variation.
    is that single ply or double?

Single ply. He hasn't done 240 in competition yet, but a couple of times in training. He benches 200kg raw.

Oh, and BTW you might note that he weighed 119kg two years ago.
    Last edited by hbriem; 06-16-2011 at 02:52 AM.

Rob contacted me to get him fit, he has now trained with me for 3 weeks. Rob is a primary school teacher. His first session his joints hurt, his third session he said,
    "Before they hurt, now my knees feel kind of wobbly and numb, what is that?"
    "That's called fatigue, Rob. It comes about through strong exertion. You are perhaps unfamiliar with this, but will learn more about it in coming sessions."
    "Okay cool."

Today in his sixth session he boasted that he and the kids had watched a movie about Usain Bolt, they went outside and tried their 100m sprint times, "And I beat all the kids!"
    "Congratulations, you are faster than a bunch of eight year olds."
    "Hey last time we tried some of them beat me."
    "Next we must work on your upper body, to ensure you can beat all the eight year olds in an arm wrestle."
    "Wasn't there a Stallone movie about arm wrestling?"
    "Yes, Over the Top."
    "That's awesome."

We got to talking about cheesey 80s movies, which led to talking about Dolph Lundgren, apparently he is a popular singer in Germany. Here is a clip where Dolph karate-chops blocks of ice while singing A little less talk a little more action baby.

Some of my clients are a little odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
    narcisitic they are. Show off to the ladies they try. WHen bedding ladies, no hip drive they have.
    Win on fucking wheels!

Quote Originally Posted by Squatman Junior View Post
    1. One guy was straddling a barbell with 3 plates on one side. He hooked one of the V-grips for the cable machines around the barbell and started pulling it up to his chest. I have to admit that it looks like a legit exercise, but my experience is pretty limited.
    T bar rows?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Aaron View Post
    We got to talking about cheesey 80s movies, which led to talking about Dolph Lundgren, apparently he is a popular singer in Germany. Here is a clip where Dolph karate-chops blocks of ice while singing A little less talk a little more action baby.
    You mean this guy:

Quote Originally Posted by ZonaLifter View Post
    Oh, that plague has already started. There are 2 squat racks and a power rack in the gym. One squat rack had a bicep curler. The next had a wrist curler. The power rack had a guy standing in it doing curls with an EZ curl bar. Why you ask? It was the only open mirror space available, of course.
    Last sat I was squatting in one of the three racks when I was asked "I want to do some shrugs, how many sets do you have left?" Ignoring that he had no business doing shrugs it was a reasonable enough enquiry...except for the fact that he didnt also enquire about the guys in the two other racks who were using them to curl.
    Last edited by LimieJosh; 06-16-2011 at 04:54 AM.

So I was on my last bench set last night, and it's "open house" night at the gym where all the trainers try to sign on new clients. I was looking around for someone in between sets to give me a spot (I'm doing AMRAP on my 3rd sets right now), when this small hispanic female trainer comes up to me, points to barbell and says, in lovely broken english "would you like me to straddle you?". Not sure if I was being propositioned or offered a spot, I pulled out my ear buds, smiled and asked politely if she could repeat that, with the same exact line as before.

Long story short is that other than when my father is at the gym the same time as me, it was the only person there who actually knows how to spot someone benching, despite her weighing less than what I was benching. Not a single bit of help or hands shooting in front of my face until the bar stopped moving and started going down. We than talked about why I was using a narrower bench grip and my shoulder problems she suggested some rotator cuff exercises I should be doing, which were somewhat similar to the routine I use. I was surprised for sure.

While I was benching though, there was a skinny kid dressed like some Appalachian hillbilly hipster load up the barbell on the adjoining bench press with 5lbs of weight total, straddle the bench, put on the spring collars, and do a few set of curls ... less than 5' away from one of the two racks that has a straight bar 50lb barbell sitting in plain sight.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Squatman Junior View Post
    Joined up at a Gold's a little over a month ago. I do evenings around 8-10pm and probably dodge a lot of the regular crowd. Apart from no roman chair and only an incline back extension, I've been liking it a lot. I've even spotted a handful of people on Starting Strength. However, around the Memorial Day weekend, they reduced their hours, so I was forced to go during the busier hours. I didn't really see anything egregious, but I did notice a couple of curious things:

1. One guy was straddling a barbell with 3 plates on one side. He hooked one of the V-grips for the cable machines around the barbell and started pulling it up to his chest. I have to admit that it looks like a legit exercise, but my experience is pretty limited.

2. I was pressing in the power rack when some guy asked me how long I would be, so I graciously moved to another space. He also had one of the cable machine V-grips. He set one of the safety bars as high as it would go, climbed up and rested his ankles on it. Then he hooked the V grip around the top of the power rack and started doing some upside down body-weight row / horizontal pull-up thing (?). Anyway, I found that to be quite unusual.
    The first one is T bar rows, which one of Ahnolds favourite exercises. BB'ers who actually lift heavy weights seem to love them. But its pretty stupid to do them these days as most gyms usually have tons of dedicated row-apparatus and very few barbells which are easily damaged by such tom-foolery. Most gym rats are way too lazy o put the weights back afterwards too.

You will also learn that most BB'ers and experienced gym rats absolutley love using gym apparatus in exotic ways which they were never designed for. For example, the leg press at my gym is used equally as much as a rows & shrugs machine. The cable station regularly has 45lb plates strapped onto it to add extra resistance to it when people are doing exercises that only a dumb ass would do at a cable station.