starting strength gym
Page 499 of 2422 FirstFirst ... 3994494894974984995005015095495999991499 ... LastLast
Results 4,981 to 4,990 of 24218

Thread: Joined a new gym last night. Hilarious

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Your third diagram made me laugh. He looks like a vulture.

Here's a couple more:

1. Older gent gets on bench press and lifts off. Isn't keen on the support of the bench, I guess, as he wiggles himself waaay down until the end of the bench is in the middle of his back. Proceeds with bench, finishes, and then wiggles back up to rack it. This happened to be the same bench from my drawing above, so he had himself wedged fairly awkwardly between the bench and the pillar. (wow, it took like 3 tries to spell awkwardly, lol)
    2. See a dude benching decent weight. Big guy who looks like he knows what he's doing. Goes from 315 to 365 and finally 405. I've never seen that much benched, so I'm pretty impressed. However, it looks like he's doing what I would call a pelvic thrust bench - throwing the bar back up with his hips....legit?
    3. This guy had me cracking up, big time. He gets in the power rack next to me and does some 1/2 ROM HB squats with a front squat grip. ...make sense, lol? The bar was on his traps, but hands looked like they do in a clean/front squat. When he went down, his elbows would travel forward and then back on the way up. Then he switches to "military" calf raises, working his way up by 5lb increments from 50 to about 100 lbs. Then he switches back to the squat thing. When he gets to 115 lbs, he puts on the belt. Then he puts the bar on the ground and does deadlifts, with the belt still on, at 115lbs with alt. grip. Whew! Good work out.

On a positive note, I chatted with a pretty cool guy who benches 3 plates and yesterday I saw him dead lift 6. I've definitely not seen that much around here before. It was cool.

"However, it looks like he's doing what I would call a pelvic thrust bench - throwing the bar back up with his hips....legit?"

No, if the hips come off the bench, it's no good.

Dude, the illustrations are awesome. Thank you for that

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
    "However, it looks like he's doing what I would call a pelvic thrust bench - throwing the bar back up with his hips....legit?"

No, if the hips come off the bench, it's no good.
    That said, there was a guy at my old gym, a dude somewhere in his mid fifties who looked likea sterotypical Harley guy, who I watched take 495 and do a chest bouncing, hip thrusting eight reps with it. Which was pretty impressive even with the shit form. No spotters, either, which struck me as insane.

Impressive and impressive bench are two different things. I would never argue that the guy you mentioned is not an incredibly strong person, simply that he can't bench 495 for 8.

Fair enough. I still occasionally wonder what he was capable of in a legit bench. That gym had three or four genuinely strong guys, although I never saw anyone do any heavy squats. But I did see one guy pull 675 for a double in the dead.

Considering this was a gym in a rural Pennsylvania county with a total population of 40,000 I was surprised at the strength levels of those couple guys. Perhaps less surprisingly, virtually everyone else there was weak and kitten-like.

Very skinny kid doing 155lb cleans yesterday. Pulling very hard with his arms. Kept my mouth shut.

Another guy doing 225lb squats that were a couple inches high. Not as bad as a half or quarter squat, but he was grunting and roaring like an idiot. It's one thing if you grunt a bit doing 315+, but at 225lbs it shouldn't be an issue unless you're very light.

Quote Originally Posted by RobCor View Post
    Very skinny kid doing 155lb cleans yesterday. Pulling very hard with his arms. Kept my mouth shut.
    Odd, didn't think you had it in you. Maybe that's just how you are in person.

starting strength coach development program
    I went into the sauna today (dry sauna). There was a guy sleeping in there. He was snoring. I didn't wake him up. I thought maybe I should because I don't know if its healthy to sleep in a sauna...but, on the other hand I think the protocol of talking to guys in the sauna is only slightly less restrictive then the urinal procedures.