starting strength gym
Page 511 of 2422 FirstFirst ... 1141146150150951051151251352156161110111511 ... LastLast
Results 5,101 to 5,110 of 24218

Thread: Joined a new gym last night. Hilarious

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirra View Post
    I just have to post this to balance out the faggotry:
    We need more balancing, this should help

Quote Originally Posted by simonsky View Post
    rugby's not that big of a sport
    In more sense than one, judging from that billboard.

IPB

Quote Originally Posted by DCP View Post
    Saw a trifecta of fail in one exercise. Suicide grip bench presses, with straps, with major back arching and ass leaving the bench. Dude has like 300 on the bar. I wanted to call the insane asylum.
    I was looking at the rules for NASA powerlifting meets, and they now allow suicide grip for the bench press. You have to sign a waiver if you want to use it though... that would make me think twice about it. :-)

Many years ago I used the suicide grip too. It does feel a lot better on the wrists than normal benching at heavier weights. I now just wear wrist wraps, and that seems to work too (and is much safer).

Quote Originally Posted by Callador View Post
    I was looking at the rules for NASA powerlifting meets, and they now allow suicide grip for the bench press. You have to sign a waiver if you want to use it though... that would make me think twice about it. :-)

Many years ago I used the suicide grip too. It does feel a lot better on the wrists than normal benching at heavier weights. I now just wear wrist wraps, and that seems to work too (and is much safer).
    Powerlifters use suicide grip as most/all feds have a rule about keeping at least one finger within the bar rings. The suicide grip allows the thumb to act as that finger, allowing a wider grip which reduces ROM.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Jordan View Post
    No excuse for suicide grips, half benches or feet up, though.
    For the record, putting your feet up on the bench when benching is a pretty common/known technique. It isolates the upper body and removes the driving some people will do with their legs to cheat up the weight. I know this because I used to Bench that way (I don't any longer as I'm following the Technique recommended by Rip). Also, Captain Kirk at the seminar I went to mentioned it, and my father, who used to compete in bench competitions in college (and often won) did them like that quite often.

I think its good to expand ones knowledge of different techniques before claiming everything someone does outside of SS is wrong. Different people have different goals and different methods of achieveing said goals.

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    Powerlifters use suicide grip as most/all feds have a rule about keeping at least one finger within the bar rings. The suicide grip allows the thumb to act as that finger, allowing a wider grip which reduces ROM.
    Which feds? Some of the other ones I looked at said the grip was not allowed. The max legal grip in most is the pointer finger covering the ring.

50ish dude comes into the gym, goes straight to the bench and loads 155 cold. Proceeds to superset 6" ROM bench with raised leg crunches (still on the bench). Works his way up to 4" ROM bench with 185 before I hit the showers.

When I was leaving, he was in the smith machine with 205 loaded, standing on a step platform, doing calf raises.

Quote Originally Posted by Zee-man View Post
    For the record, putting your feet up on the bench when benching is a pretty common/known technique. It isolates the upper body and removes the driving some people will do with their legs to cheat up the weight. I know this because I used to Bench that way (I don't any longer as I'm following the Technique recommended by Rip). Also, Captain Kirk at the seminar I went to mentioned it, and my father, who used to compete in bench competitions in college (and often won) did them like that quite often.

I think its good to expand ones knowledge of different techniques before claiming everything someone does outside of SS is wrong. Different people have different goals and different methods of achieveing said goals.
    Putting your feet up on the bench can also make benching more comfortable for someone with a back injury.

starting strength coach development program
    I saw 2 guys spotting each other on the lat pulldown machine with the max weight selected. The ''spotter'' was getting a great arm workout.