starting strength gym
Page 53 of 2422 FirstFirst ... 3435152535455631031535531053 ... LastLast

Thread: Joined a new gym last night. Hilarious

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by mr blink View Post
    Im pretty sure i get stares for this all the time from lifters that think they are cool:

I am introducing my 13 year old brother, who video tapes my lifts, the barbell lifts. Last week, i had him on the bench and was teaching him about the arch and pressing properly. The poor lad cannot bench the bar. So instead of making him get on the smith machine and murder his stabilizers, i assist him with the bar by holding it slightly so he doesn't feel like he will die if he cannot complete an assisted rep(He cant do a rep by himself with the bar so i guide the bar up for him). After he is done benching, this kid from his school, who looks like he is 3 grades older than an 8th grader, gets the bench we were using, loads it with 170 and starts doing partial reps and gives my bro a smirk. He then proceeds to get up, throw a couple air punches and flex in the mirror.

To my surprise, my brother laughs at this guy.

I think my brother might be lurking on this site....
    Jesus... strike that kid with a lightning bolt for his douchery. I mean the partial reps airboxing master, not your brother.

Quote Originally Posted by imnotbncre8ive View Post
    Jesus... strike that kid with a lightning bolt for his douchery. I mean the partial reps airboxing master, not your brother.
    Why can't he hit both?

How was the little brother being a douche?

On a more positive note, I met someone who is doing SS at my university gym. He lurks these boards. Nice guy and I even introduced him to eco-chalk, the cheap you use when your gym gets pissy about using real chalk.

Today, when I started warming up for front squats, I saw a guy doing cable pushdowns over an hour later when I was just finishing snatches, he was still doing cable pushdowns...

Saw a kid doing dumbbell curls literally the whole time I was at the gym today. Sideways hat, Tap Out shirt with cutoff sleeves, the works.

But also a sorta fat guy doing deadlifts perfectly (mentioned in another thread). So that was rather redeeming.

This shit all makes me really glad I have a cold, damp garage to lift in, and yet, I feel like I'm missing out on some real entertainment. Maybe I could install a full length mirror off to one side, and get some jackoff gym-wanker outfits, like the weightlifter pants and some tank tops, a baseball hat, and of course, some gloves. I could put on different outfits and dork out between sets. Solo garage gym theater!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Kovtunovich View Post
    This shit all makes me really glad I have a cold, damp garage to lift in, and yet, I feel like I'm missing out on some real entertainment. Maybe I could install a full length mirror off to one side, and get some jackoff gym-wanker outfits, like the weightlifter pants and some tank tops, a baseball hat, and of course, some gloves. I could put on different outfits and dork out between sets. Solo garage gym theater!
    Just go get a guest pass every once in a while. Tell them you've heard it's a great gym and you are thinking about a membership. But then you have to resist when they start turning the screws on you. Better yet go with someone else and have them send you a fake distress call on your cell when it's time to leave.

I don't think it's a plus going to a commercial gym, even for the laughs. Your motivation gets drained by lifting around people who aren't interested in working hard.

I'm going to a commercial gym now, and it's a grind.

starting strength coach development program
    New gym opened in town, I thought I'd check it out. My current one's pretty good, but only has two racks and no lifting platforms, gets pretty busy at times.
    Big flashy building, wasn't expecting much.
    Get in the door, well it's a big place, got a restaurant, pool, jacuzzi, shop, all looks very shiny. Looks nice, but these are all ringing alarm bells.
    When I get to the gym proper things start to look up, though. Ooh, kettle-bells... a bag area, and are those lifting platforms? Ooh... Can't wait to see the "extensive weight training area".

Oh. A flimsy looking rack, a few benches, and a bunch of machines. Balls.
    What about the platforms? Oh, they're stretching mats?
    Well, kettlebe... oh. You say they're for doing quarter-squats and bicep-curls on vibro-plate machines?
    On what? Standing on a vibrating plate really helps work the core? No, I did not know that. Fascinating.

The girl giving me the tour spent more time explaining the individual TVs on the exercise bikes, and how to plug your ipod into the charger than on the weights section.

Oh well, if nothing else, it reaffirmed my prejudices.