starting strength gym
Page 809 of 2422 FirstFirst ... 30970975979980780880981081181985990913091809 ... LastLast
Results 8,081 to 8,090 of 24219

Thread: Joined a new gym last night. Hilarious

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    The wizard is talking to me. Apparently I will destroy my knees squatting and even though he just watched me press he keeps asking if I'm squatting!

Please update us on the stupid look on his face when you do.

Forgot to say he also got me to 'assist' with his lateral raises. I basically pushed his arms down each rep! Why the fuck he couldn't just use heavier weight I dont know! I felt gay doing it but I didn't want to be rude.

Must contribute to this thread: A gym I used to go to attracted a large number of early 20ish guys who refused to admit they knew nothing beyond bench and curls as they had seen that on TV. I watched one guy jump on the assisted dip machine. He done a few trial dips, decided it was easy so added weight, done a few more and then jumped off grinning and upped the weight..yup, he thought that as you added the weight it was supposed to get harder. In the end he was knocking out dips so fast he was nearly being launched in the air at the top of the movement. He would do 10 - 15 reps, jump off, strut around, grin madly, add more weight then go again. Eventually he decied to move on. A reasonably large body builder then walked over and flipped the assist-pad up and started to do a set with his body weight..yup, a look of puzzlement spread across the young guy's face, then the bodybuilder guy added strapped on 10kg and done his next set, you could now see the penny drop on the young guy's face...he now realized that he had just made a right tool of himself...oh, did i mention that this was right in front of the cardio setup? with maybe 20 - 30 females doing their cardio... hence the earlier peacock strutting...gyms, gotta love 'em, everyday there is something to see =)

Quote Originally Posted by drecar View Post
    Please update us on the stupid look on his face when you do.
    Yes. More of this.

ANOTHER incident from last night. Just as I was going to start squatting with a client a guy beat us to it. No matter, we set up for something else. I turned my head just at the point he was reracking the bar and saw him in his tip toes and pitching forward. I asked him if he wanted help adjusting the hooks to his height and he replies ' I'LL BE FINE.' So a bit surprised at being shouted at I just tell him it is for his safety. Again, ' I'LL BE FINE.' The whole of the weight room Turned and looked at the scene being caused. I just threw my hands up, said whatever and concentrated on my client. This guy remained for quite some time and adopted a new role as the guy I pointed at to show examples of bad form.
    The guy was a cunt. I don't feel bad about this.
    Last edited by PaulBeech; 02-25-2012 at 01:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBeech View Post
    I felt gay doing it but I didn't want to be rude.
    Heh, if you ever hang with geared powerlifters, you will learn a new definition of "being gay." The best story I ever heard was from one of the ladies I work out with. She said that a guy benching at nationals needed to get his shirt pulled down. He was wearing a singlet, so another guy reached up through the bottom of the singlet to grab the shirt and pull it down. You really have to trust your lifting partner to have him do that! :-)

Went to a different gym today. Since everybody was busy in the Smith machine I got to use the cage, once I cleared the extra 3 or 4 bars out of it. Apparently, I pissed the chin-up guy off because he thought the rack was there for him to do his chins. Never mind that there were 10 other places to do that. I do my squats and all these guys look at me like I'm from Mars. Bowling shoes and "going that deep is going screw up your knees old man". My shin is bleeding a little after deadlifts and you can just see the looks on some of their faces. Dude get on your dinosaur and get out of here. The kid in the Smith next to the cage was funny. He was outpacing me on weight as I warmed up. That is, till his dudes asked him if he could go that deep. Suddenly, weight had to come off. Funny though, I'd never seen anybody do front squats in a Smith before.

Thinking about it, the only thing I've not seen someone do in a Smith machine are curls, and probably that's only a matter of time.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by killyouintheface View Post
    Thinking about it, the only thing I've not seen someone do in a Smith machine are curls, and probably that's only a matter of time.
    im imagining a standing body reverse grip row of sorts.

there's this one big dude who's about my age and he oh presses 2 plates on the smith machine with half rom for like 6-8 reps. he's pretty fat, but he's pretty strong too. I haven't seen what he benches but im just wondering why guys do this silly shit when a regular press just looks more badass (with heavy weight)