starting strength gym
Page 909 of 2422 FirstFirst ... 409809859899907908909910911919959100914091909 ... LastLast
Results 9,081 to 9,090 of 24218

Thread: Joined a new gym last night. Hilarious

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Found a tall young woman butchering some squats, about 1/4 range of motion.
    "May I ask, what are you squatting for?"
    "Improve my jump in basketball."
    "In that case, you should go all the way down. Who taught you to squat like this?"
    "I was at the AIS."
    "I see. What's that scar on your knee?"
    "I had to have a knee reconstruction, that's why I'm not at the AIS anymore."

How the fuck we continue to win is beyond me. It reminds me of Rip saying, the S&C coaches of top athletes aren't necessarily great S&C coaches, since their athletes are pre-sorted. Get Lauren Jackson or Andrew Gaze on your team and so long as you don't injure them you're automatically a genius coach. Even if you injure them they might still think you're a genius.

Saw someone with a pretty good low bar rack today. He was looking up. And squatting about a foot above parallel. But his rack was pretty good.

i had to take a crash course in the use of a new fitness fad, the ViPR yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBeech View Post
    i had to take a crash course in the use of a new fitness fad, the ViPR yesterday.
    Is that thing even weighted, or is it just a piece of PVC with handles cut into it?

Quote Originally Posted by jon cowie View Post
    Too much time in prison will do that to your mind, remember there are women on the outside!
    There are plenty of men too.

Quote Originally Posted by OCG View Post
    Is that thing even weighted, or is it just a piece of PVC with handles cut into it?

There are plenty of men too.
    'Increase strength and power' - How? They have these at my gym, they weigh about 10lbs.

Don't you see the purple power lines coming from her? It harnesses the power of Spirograph™!

Seriously. Some get a little heavier. I have to take a test for them!

I saw those in the new functional fitness are of my local commercial gym. They also had enormous but ultra light aluminium kettlebells and shit loads of TRX. I reckon the VIPR thing would be good for old frail people, the same way unweighted controlled body movements like tai chi can be good.

For regular people they need to be very heavy, they are shaped the same as strongman logs.

I thought they were when I first saw one. I agree about them being good for old people.
    In the class I took they were described as acting in a unique way against gravity and the diagram just showed a typical example of gravity working on pulling an object to the floor. Complete fad.

starting strength coach development program
    What about those vibrating machines you stand on that shake you?

I'd imagine they are a fad but they've been around so long there must be some utility to them, no?
    There is even this asian mall near my house that sells them in 2 locations, a kiosk in the middle of the mall and a store that is apparently used solely for selling vibrating machines. People must be buying these things still!