starting strength gym
Page 918 of 2422 FirstFirst ... 418818868908916917918919920928968101814181918 ... LastLast
Results 9,171 to 9,180 of 24219

Thread: Joined a new gym last night. Hilarious

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Daniel View Post
    The problem is not visceral fat. The problem is that cellular membranes are made of fat and a good portion of your brain and nervous system is made of fat. If you lose that fat, you'd be dead, period.
    Indeed I was just making the simpler point that most people know about subcutaneous and visceral fat. it can APPEAR to those ppl like his brother than people have no sub fat. However even if you were to give him that, the guy would still have visceral fat undearth of some sort.

Your point stands though of course.

Now I'm wondering -- do DEXA scans etc typically also pick up the fat content of your brain, lymphatic system, etc? I would guess flotation would, but even that's just a guess.

Mixed grip deadlifts. With the 15kg women's bar, and only the bar. One guy had about 5inch discrepancy between the hands and was twisting his body completely because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Daniel View Post
    The problem is not visceral fat. The problem is that cellular membranes are made of fat and a good portion of your brain and nervous system is made of fat. If you lose that fat, you'd be dead, period.
    But in that case, you are talking about "fat" the chemical, and not "fat" the cells that store energy in lean times, correct?

"Kyle I think I have a new client for you."
    "Yeah?"
    "Yeah, I just had her for a health consultation, she said she wanted PT."
    "You can't train her?"
    "She said she wanted someone older, so I thought, Kyle!"
    "Um, thanks."
    "She said she's done squats, deadlifts, powercleans, all that stuff, and wants to do it again."
    "Sounds good."
    "She said if you put her on a bosu ball doing tricep pushdowns she's outta there."
    "I think I'm in love."

Quote Originally Posted by John Bono View Post
    But in that case, you are talking about "fat" the chemical, and not "fat" the cells that store energy in lean times, correct?
    I don't really see the difference between those two. Fat is fat and even if you discount the fat that constitutes cell membranes, your nervous system is full of fat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Aaron View Post
    "Kyle I think I have a new client for you."
    "Yeah?"
    "Yeah, I just had her for a health consultation, she said she wanted PT."
    "You can't train her?"
    "She said she wanted someone older, so I thought, Kyle!"
    "Um, thanks."
    "She said she's done squats, deadlifts, powercleans, all that stuff, and wants to do it again."
    "Sounds good."
    "She said if you put her on a bosu ball doing tricep pushdowns she's outta there."
    "I think I'm in love."

Quote Originally Posted by Pjotor View Post
    I liiiiike

A little while back in this thread, I was the one who got yelled at IN THE MIDDLE OF MY SET by random people at my local 24hr fitness practically on a weekly basis. I found another commercial gym and it was just as bad. For those of you who live in Vegas, it's the LVAC (Las Vegas Althletic Club)

Well not weekly, but I always anticipated aggressive idiots.

Every now and then, I'll get criticism from "weightlifters" who tell me that I squat wrong even though I do their half-repped squats as my warmup ATG. Also, people were doing seated press exercises in the only rack and cage made for squatting. There was even a couple that gave me "a look" when I wanted to use the squat rack, but they were using it as something to hold on to while they were doing dumbell rows.

There was also one time when I was squatting, some random dude came up to me (in the middle of my set, of course) and told me not to hold my breath. He was repeatedly screaming: "BREATHE! EXHALE!" while making hand gestures around his stomach like I was some idiot who had no control over his bodily functions. To which I childishly acted by letting him talk and explain his reasoning and I proceeded to wear my headphones and turn my back on him while he was talking to me.

But then again, I probably was an idiot for having worked out there for a while instead of finding a real gym.

Also, I remember leaving a chalk sock behind one day. I went to the lost and found, but they threw it away by accident. All I got was a shrug from some teenager like he didn't give a shit and they refused to cover it.

You have no idea how much self control I had to exercise working out at this gym to resist flipping the bird to these people I came across.

Got sick of it.

Joined Average Broz gym recently and they have bumper plates, lifting platforms, squat racks, a friendlier and hella chilled environment, knowledgeable people, no shitty pop music blaring in the speaker (except for the crossfit classes, but it usually doesn't last long), better equipment (it has a fucking GHR machine!!! Not one, but 2!!!), and free chalk.

And I couldn't be happier with this new gym.

I guess I won't have as many stories or rants from here on out, but I'll still lurk this thread. Heh.

starting strength coach development program
    I would've grown some balls dude.. "I'm holding my breath on purpose, you ignorant dick. If my head happens to explode, it would be your best interest to get the fuck out of my face, in case my eyeballs hit you in the balls."