starting strength gym
Page 951 of 2422 FirstFirst ... 4518519019419499509519529539611001105114511951 ... LastLast
Results 9,501 to 9,510 of 24219

Thread: Joined a new gym last night. Hilarious

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Couple of bros came in. Apparently it's leg day, since they say they're doing squats and deadlifts. Turns out "squats" are leg presses, and "deadlifts" are--get this--back extensions on the back extension machine. I mean, if they came in and just did leg press and back extension, I wouldn't have cared, but referring to back extensions as "deadlifts" just got to me.......

Bono wins the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by FKYT View Post
    "deadlifts" are--get this--back extensions on the back extension machine...
    I assume the 'dead' bit they referred to was the one between their ears, in which case the name seems to make perfect sense.

IPB

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    Bono wins the thread.
    Already? This thread's just getting started.

The first page (with 40 posts/page) in this thread was hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by skipbeat View Post
    The first page (with 40 posts/page) in this thread was hilarious.
    Try reading the whole thread. Took me damn near a week! Some funny shit goes on out there. I never get to see any of it working out at home though :-(

Quote Originally Posted by B4PJS View Post
    Try reading the whole thread. Took me damn near a week! Some funny shit goes on out there. I never get to see any of it working out at home though :-(
    Invite somebody over - this way THEY can post to the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by DPMuller View Post
    Invite somebody over - this way THEY can post to the thread.
    That's what my form checks are for ;-), and check back a page or two, I already posted one...

I had a 16 year old kid at my gym come up to me and asked "how did you get so strong (I'm not strong at all) and have you ever worked out like me with a bodybuilder workout? Did you ever have trouble working your delts?" Now I've seen this kid at my gym at least 3 times a week for probably 18 months, he's committed just completely clueless. I've always wanted to say something but I never give advice unless solicited so I took the opportunity to basically say what I've been itching to say for the past year, "5 lb dumbbell raises are fucking worthless for a 120 lb kid, you are wasting your time with that shit", "changing your program every two weeks to mix it up and shock your muscles is a sure way to see no results", "if you don't eat you will not get bigger" etc... He fired back with "I eat a lot I just don't get bigger", "I play soccer and I don't want to get too huge I want to be ripped", "can I still workout my abs".

I love how these kids who think after a year of lifting and they're still 120 lbs that overnight they're going to be massive beasts. I had to tell him abs on a 120 lb man is as worthless as tits on a bull, no woman or anyone will give a shit about your abs when your average woman outweighs you by 10 lbs and you have zero muscle tone. And if you're 120 lbs you aren't eating a lot even if you think you are, I told him what I'll eat when trying to break a plateau and he was like Jesus Christ that's a lot of food.

I basically pointed him to Starting Strength and told him to do it after soccer during the winter and eat a massive amount of food GOMAD would be perfect for him, spend the soccer season doing his gay split routine but practice the compound lifts to lock his form down, in the winter do nothing but lift, eat, sleep until next soccer season. He thinks I'm a monster because I bench 300 and squat 375, most Cf'ers in my gym lift half that so the strength level is skewed, I think he may listen.
    Last edited by michael dowling; 07-06-2012 at 08:31 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Took the Mrs to the gym for the very first time thanks to constant nagging and a "try before you buy" offer at the local globo gym.

So I am taking her through the lifts when a Personal Trainer walks up.
    PT: "I'm sorry, you're not allowed to do a personal training session here"
    Me: "Ah no mate, this is the mrs, I'm not a personal trainer. This is her first day here"
    PT: "But you're not doing any training yourself, so it is. Just a warning."
    Me: "Uh huh."

So I get the 5kg bar the Mrs was practising with, put on the belt and really grind out my 5 reps, vasalva, facial expression and grunting and all. Then resumed teaching the Mrs the lifts.

He then walked off to continue teaching some chick quarter squats with plates under the heel.

So, am I a prick for mocking this guy or is he, for interrupting a training session I having with the Mrs?

Oh, and to make the situation even funnier near us was a bro doing his curls with another bro (who was not working out) giving him all sorts of useful advice ("Don't go all the way down, it won't work the peak.)