starting strength gym
Page 51 of 2422 FirstFirst ... 414950515253611011515511051 ... LastLast

Thread: Joined a new gym last night. Hilarious

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by aussieluke View Post
    Right, this one I've never seen before, or ever heard about in any 'seen in a globo gym' type threads...

Gym guy is doing his workout. Deadlifts. Warms up with 100kg for a few reps. Adds 50kg and does a couple sets of about 6 ...not too bad

Then takes 50kg off and does more reps.

Then it gets really good. He gets a 45kg fixed weight bar, stands over it in almost a lunge position with one foot in front and one foot behind the bar, then 'deadlifts' it until it brushes his nuts, for several reps. Then gets a proper bar with two plates and does the same, without alternating feet. Then does the same with another 20kg on there.

Then goes over the other side of the gym and does a million dumbbell lunges.

Awesome.
    Thats a fairly legit exercise, a variation of split squats. Guess you could call them "split hack squats" but I have seen a very very strong dude doing them so they cant be all that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradeep View Post
    Has anyone ever been to a Planet Fitness? I've heard horror stories about that place. They just opened one up really close to my house and I was thinking of joining because it's so cheap ($10) and is open 24/7. I already belong to three gyms, but another one couldn't hurt, right? I called the place the other day to get some information and talked to some girl for quite a while, but this is the best thing she said: "Planet Fitness is a judgement free zone. We cater people interested in fitness and don't allow bodybuilders or anyone like that who would intimidate our patrons." Judgement free zone...wtf is that exactly? One of my buddies goes to a PF in CT, said he was kicked out for a week for doing deadlifts and has set off the "lunk alarm" which apparently is a siren that goes off whenever you make too much noise. They also have pizza day once a month.
    Planet Fitness has been discussed here a number of times, so if you look around you'll find some info here. You could also go to YouTube and search for 'Planet Fitness' and you'll find some videos.

In short, the horror stories you've heard are true. No groaning, grunting or getting any actual work done. You'd be wasting your $10/month.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Benthic View Post
    You could also go to YouTube and search for 'Planet Fitness' and you'll find some videos.
    Wow, that's some massive hate. The videos of random gym patrons were great; not one of them looked like they were in remotely decent shape.

I'd guess that the name "Planet Fitness" would be fair warning.....
    Last edited by God of Thunder; 03-30-2010 at 01:10 PM.

I think Phil Stevens should go to Planet Fitness to do his next deadlift session. And NOBODY is going to stop him from finishing his session.

Quote Originally Posted by Sami View Post
    I think Phil Stevens should go to Planet Fitness to do his next deadlift session. And NOBODY is going to stop him from finishing his session.
    hah they have humungous 24lbs plates and nothing else heavier.. good luck getting anything else more than 280lbs on the bar

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    Thats a fairly legit exercise, a variation of split squats. Guess you could call them "split hack squats" but I have seen a very very strong dude doing them so they cant be all that bad.
    But only done on one side? Fail.

Done by the same pt who does air squats on a Swiss ball instead of actual squats and presses on an upside down bosu ball. Fail

my silly bullshit alarm says someone needs to get back to basics.

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    That exercise sounds a lot like a Kennedy lift...something that comes from back in the day where super cool strength contests went down.

If I remember correctly it was some ginormous block that was akward, and the only dude that could pick it up ( I think his name was Kennedy ) straddled it and picked it up in the fashion described.

So I heard some random asshole talk about weigh lifting in one of my classes today. He had a great bench day apparently, and doesn't squat because girls don't care about dem legs. I thought fools like this were a myth, but there he was. The only thing girls care about it the hip flexor according to him. And then he bitched about class, despite the fact that he was getting a free ride intution-wise.

Guys like this don't get it. They want the easy way out. They pretend they're Captain Badass inside the gym, but they don't squat, don't deadlift, and operate a 4 man benching team. No matter how big you are in your head, the bar can take the piss out of you right quick.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.City View Post
    So I heard some random asshole talk about weigh lifting in one of my classes today. He had a great bench day apparently, and doesn't squat because girls don't care about dem legs. I thought fools like this were a myth, but there he was. The only thing girls care about it the hip flexor according to him. And then he bitched about class, despite the fact that he was getting a free ride intution-wise.

Guys like this don't get it. They want the easy way out. They pretend they're Captain Badass inside the gym, but they don't squat, don't deadlift, and operate a 4 man benching team. No matter how big you are in your head, the bar can take the piss out of you right quick.
    You should have gave him the rip line 'Women don't care about muscles, they care about 2 things, one of which is money' or something to that degree.