starting strength gym
Page 1861 of 2422 FirstFirst ... 8611361176118111851185918601861186218631871191119612361 ... LastLast
Results 18,601 to 18,610 of 24218

Thread: Joined a new gym last night. Hilarious

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Pluripotent View Post
    It's a good thing more people don't do this, because virtually the only thing that allows me to be stronger than anyone else is that most people are not following a decent program. I have been doing SS for a year and a few months and am surprised that I am now lifting more than most of the casual lifters in the gym, even though it's not that much by the standards of this board. Hopefully, their laziness and ignorance of good programming will allow me to continue being relatively stronger...whatever you do, don't introduce them to SS, then I won't have a chance!
    Guess I need another gym. I'm a bit tired of handing over the squat rack and then seeing people step in and squat the weight. I get a few seconds to think "Ha ! no warm up", till they load up more and make it clear that my work weight is their warm up.

Quote Originally Posted by Pluripotent View Post
    It's a good thing more people don't do this, because virtually the only thing that allows me to be stronger than anyone else is that most people are not following a decent program.
    Totally agreed. Maybe by a year into the program I could trip and stumble my unathletic, uncoordinated, fluffy dadbod past all these ripped dudes and outsquat all but like two of them. I've gotten some compliments that always take the form of "you don't look like you could lift that much..."

It's funny how often big guys will mimic my warmups and then bail when it gets too heavy. The other day a tall, obviously naturally strong guy was on the next rack over with his little friend showing him how to squat. Big guy was keeping pace with my warmups - 135, 185, 225, 275, 315, but then after a couple high 315s I think he said screw it because he stripped the bar down to 95 and did one million reps. I almost want to apologize.

Quote Originally Posted by ithryn View Post
    I almost want to apologize.
    Forget that, add another plate!

I have to travel for work this week, so that means I have to lift in a commercial gym. I lifted last night and tonight. Last night, I observed a pair of bros doing what bros do (benching and telling each other how to get bigger). They were doing all of the quintessential bro bench variants - regular bench, partner row/bench combo, sets with suicide grip, feet on the bench, legs up in the air, etc. Whatever - I was in their territory. Who am I to judge?

I walked in tonight and observed the same bros, doing the same exercises, wearing the SAME CLOTHES as last night, with the same weight on the bar (135-145). I can only conclude that they never left. Forget Charles Staley and his 15 minute density block. The 24-hour density block is where it's at. For all I know, they might still be benching.

Now here is a question I have not had before. From a prospective member.

"Should I do BodyPump on my off days?"

I want to invent an electronic muscle stimulator device you wear at night. Gains 24-7! Tactical, elite, hard-core!

It would have to do essentially nothing of course, or people couldn't sleep.
    Maybe give people a painful zaps for the first 10 seconds for placebo value, then do nothing from then on.

I'd also sell it in pink, for targeted hip/thigh fat reduction. This time it would be "gentle, natural, and pain-free".
    The initial zap would be dialed back a bit, and it would be pink instead of black/olive-drab.

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    Flex Belt.
    Yeah, but mine would "work while you sleep". Same bullshit tech but different phony promises.

As I was doing a 5-min warm-up in the cardio area last night, I watched a guy walking across the gym bouncing an exercise ball with one hand and holding an ab dolly and a canned energy drink in the other, spilling some of the energy drink on the gym floor with every step. Much to my horror, he headed for the only power rack left in the gym. He proceeded to remove the bar and swing like monkey around the three pull-up bars on the rack. Then he did ab stuff directly in front of the rack. At some point, he brought over a flat bench to sit on between sets of swinging around in the rack. I benched first and then headed over there to squat. He hadn’t done any swinging around in the rack for at least 15 minutes at that point so I asked him if he was done with the rack. He looked up at the rack, made an annoyed face, and seemed to think about it. Finally, he shook his head and walked off without putting any of the equipment back. If only I could find a way to blame this guy for my horrible squat workout that followed.

Quote Originally Posted by Chebass88 View Post
    I have to travel for work this week, so that means I have to lift in a commercial gym. I lifted last night and tonight. Last night, I observed a pair of bros doing what bros do (benching and telling each other how to get bigger). They were doing all of the quintessential bro bench variants - regular bench, partner row/bench combo, sets with suicide grip, feet on the bench, legs up in the air, etc. Whatever - I was in their territory. Who am I to judge?

I walked in tonight and observed the same bros, doing the same exercises, wearing the SAME CLOTHES as last night, with the same weight on the bar (135-145). I can only conclude that they never left. Forget Charles Staley and his 15 minute density block. The 24-hour density block is where it's at. For all I know, they might still be benching.
    I can't stop laughing at this. "We've always been here..."

I'm imagining endless drop sets to failure. Start with 135 and end up with the 1lb dumbbells. 1hr nap on the leg press, then work your way back up. This may actually be what rude bros end up doing in hell.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by LizF View Post
    I can't stop laughing at this. "We've always been here..."

I'm imagining endless drop sets to failure. Start with 135 and end up with the 1lb dumbbells. 1hr nap on the leg press, then work your way back up. This may actually be what rude bros end up doing in hell.