starting strength gym
Page 1896 of 2422 FirstFirst ... 8961396179618461886189418951896189718981906194619962396 ... LastLast
Results 18,951 to 18,960 of 24219

Thread: Joined a new gym last night. Hilarious

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    When we call a man a pussy, we mean it as an insult. When we say a woman has balls, we mean it as a compliment.

So it's not as simple as "feminine characteristics are inappropriate for a man, and masculine characteristics are inappropriate for a woman." I could see how that perspective, while narrow, isn't necessarily misogynistic. But that's not what's being expressed when we talk about "the pussification of America".

Guys, I just wanted to make fun of that Tanner guy.......but as long as we're here, have a TBT or whatever today is.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoFours View Post
    the only thing unfortunate about the art of manliness site is the name. also regarding straight razors, would a safety razor be just as close and safer?
    I use a safety razor. You don't need 9 blades in a cartridge for a close shave, they're ripping people off.
    I stocked up on Feather brand double edge blades years ago, and I still have plenty. I use one side, when it dulls, I use the other side. You can get a super close shave with an adjustable safety razor. Use a coarse setting to trim clean sideburns edges and cut down week old beard, and fine setting against the grain for super smooth skin.
    Safety razors don't clog like trac 2 and whatever ridiculous multi-blade cartridges that are out there. Took a little bit of practice to start, used the alum stick often, nowadays I never get nicks.

I think straight razors are easier for people with fat, round, smooth faces.

He's working on power today. Obvs. You need a gas mask to work on power. Putting that in my notebook, next to my notes from Rip's lectures at the seminar.

I think calling a man a pussy may/or should refer more to a kitten than a female body part.

The female body part undergoes some excruciating deformation during childbirth, and enduring that is not the characteristic of something weak.

Quote Originally Posted by bugbomb View Post
    When we call a man a pussy, we mean it as an insult. When we say a woman has balls, we mean it as a compliment.

So it's not as simple as "feminine characteristics are inappropriate for a man, and masculine characteristics are inappropriate for a woman." I could see how that perspective, while narrow, isn't necessarily misogynistic. But that's not what's being expressed when we talk about "the pussification of America".
    They definitely are gender specific insults and they are based on men being physically stronger and women being weaker.

Everything about my biology sets me up for being stronger than all, but the most exceptional women. Therefore, being weak as your average woman is a state worthy of an insult that paint me as feminine.

The reverse is equally true.

The problem is being called feminine as an insult due to some trait other than something that is inherently feminine or undesirable. It's not using the terms that is wrong. It is using them inappropriately.
    Last edited by George Christiansen; 12-10-2015 at 03:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LizF View Post
    Yeah, basically. If "manning up" or "not being a little bitch" isn't about masculinity/femininity, and "pussy" isn't about the female anatomy, then why are we using those words instead of other ones? This is like when kids would call stuff they didn't like "gay" in school, and I'd call them on it, and they'd say "no, I just meant it was stupid." Well, isn't there a reason you said gay instead of stupid?

I don't think everybody who says stuff like that is a raving misogynist, by any means. Most people just don't think about it and naturally adopt the language they've heard other people use in similar situations (which is why you'll hear women in the gym telling each other to "man up"). They don't consciously intend to associate weakness with femininity, but the words we use have a subconscious effect on our ideas.

anniemichael, the real scam is that they've been charging more for women's products than men's (especially in the grooming industry) for decades. The upcharge on brogurt and wine-in-a-can is fair play. And thanks for reminding me of the women's pens, for our frail lady hands.
    LizF, what moniker would you have us use? . . . you used winnie once, is that OK?

Serious tho on what you'd suggest to describe the person teebob lays out here:

Quote Originally Posted by teebob21 View Post
    My earlier comment was in no way intended to attack the feminine. Had I intended to somehow link weakness and personal incapability with femininity, I would have. Pussification would refer to the growing ranks of pussies - having nothing to do with female anatomy. Let us define such a man; a Pussy, capital-P. This man is one who prefers appearance over utility in things that should be functional and useful. This man shirks leadership as he fears responsibility as much as he doubts his own abilities. This man is one who pays for a service instead of being self-sufficient because to do the work would be "icky". This man is one who says "because I am unwilling to defend myself from harm, safety must be legislated for all by restricting others from doing that which I refuse to do" and complains more laws are needed when the original ones inevitably fail. This man cannot carry his 40 lb bag of dog food up two flights of stairs without rest. This man is a narcissist; a dandy; a fop. This man has no physical handicaps other than the limits he has chosen, knowingly or unknowingly, for himself. I could go on. This man is a giant Pussy.

LizF did a great job of pointing out another trait that I meant to lay blame upon: high insecurity. Confidence, strength, poise: these should be traits of a Man. Hell, they should be traits of any Human.

The post you quoted contains some decent suggestions, actually. Coward. Weakling. Useless pile of shit.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    He's working on power today. Obvs. You need a gas mask to work on power. Putting that in my notebook, next to my notes from Rip's lectures at the seminar.
    I clearly hadn't understood power cleans properly either. I thought the jump was important for power development - with the mask, you don't even need to jump to get more powerful!