starting strength gym
Page 1898 of 2422 FirstFirst ... 8981398179818481888189618971898189919001908194819982398 ... LastLast
Results 18,971 to 18,980 of 24219

Thread: Joined a new gym last night. Hilarious

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by RugbySmartarse View Post
    how do you shave with a straight razor in order to be seen shaving with a razor. Serious question - I want to show it off but am unsure how
    Well first that was a terrible example on my part I admit, but since you asked, it is a thing. You go to one of those trendy new shave-and-a-haircut barbershops that are sprouting up all over the place, the ones with barberpoles outside and faux-historica names like "Wilkins and Johansson Barbershoppe and Supply Co." Inside the decor tends to be a 1930's thing: wood panels ehhrwhere the likes of which no steakhouse has ever seen, and barber chairs rounded up from junkyards and museums, and the staff are often dressed in 3-piece suits and aprons. For $70 or so they hook you up with booze while you wait, and then you get a haircut + 14-cut straight razor shave with hot towels, Bay Rum aftershave, etc.

It's....actually kind of fun as a super-occasional splurge. The clientele are usually first-timers who read about it on AoM or something, or a bunch of groomsmen, with the groom footing the bill. Just don't be that one yuppie asshole regular in there who genuinely thinks this is a merit badge for his man-card; he's also that asshole who quotes The Prince and The Art of War to the rolling eyes of his team.

Quote Originally Posted by stuffedsuperdud View Post
    Well first that was a terrible example on my part I admit, but since you asked, it is a thing. You go to one of those trendy new shave-and-a-haircut barbershops that are sprouting up all over the place, the ones with barberpoles outside and faux-historica names like "Wilkins and Johansson Barbershoppe and Supply Co." Inside the decor tends to be a 1930's thing: wood panels ehhrwhere the likes of which no steakhouse has ever seen, and barber chairs rounded up from junkyards and museums, and the staff are often dressed in 3-piece suits and aprons. For $70 or so they hook you up with booze while you wait, and then you get a haircut + 14-cut straight razor shave with hot towels, Bay Rum aftershave, etc.

It's....actually kind of fun as a super-occasional splurge. The clientele are usually first-timers who read about it on AoM or something, or a bunch of groomsmen, with the groom footing the bill. Just don't be that one yuppie asshole regular in there who genuinely thinks this is a merit badge for his man-card; he's also that asshole who quotes The Prince and The Art of War to the rolling eyes of his team.
    That is the dude version of getting a facial/nails done.

Cheers cj
    Last edited by Simon Rest; 12-11-2015 at 03:32 AM.

Ha, I was just being an arse.

I took my groomsmen for massages and facials. Pajamaboy?

Yeah, that's all about right, minus the hating on Machiavelli.

Quote Originally Posted by RugbySmartarse View Post
    how do you shave with a straight razor in order to be seen shaving with a razor. Serious question - I want to show it off but am unsure how
    You don't, you just brag about it on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoFours View Post
    the only thing unfortunate about the art of manliness site is the name. also regarding straight razors, would a safety razor be just as close and safer?
    I use a double edge razor. Even after a year in still learning, but my 15 dollar razors have lasted me a whole year plus.

Quote Originally Posted by LizF View Post
    Yeah, basically. If "manning up" or "not being a little bitch" isn't about masculinity/femininity, and "pussy" isn't about the female anatomy, then why are we using those words instead of other ones? This is like when kids would call stuff they didn't like "gay" in school, and I'd call them on it, and they'd say "no, I just meant it was stupid." Well, isn't there a reason you said gay instead of stupid?

I don't think everybody who says stuff like that is a raving misogynist, by any means. Most people just don't think about it and naturally adopt the language they've heard other people use in similar situations (which is why you'll hear women in the gym telling each other to "man up"). They don't consciously intend to associate weakness with femininity, but the words we use have a subconscious effect on our ideas.

anniemichael, the real scam is that they've been charging more for women's products than men's (especially in the grooming industry) for decades. The upcharge on brogurt and wine-in-a-can is fair play. And thanks for reminding me of the women's pens, for our frail lady hands.
    the great bill burr: http://youtu.be/6xedLQwwzPE?t=4m52s

Quote Originally Posted by LizF View Post
    Yeah, basically. If "manning up" or "not being a little bitch" isn't about masculinity/femininity, and "pussy" isn't about the female anatomy, then why are we using those words instead of other ones?
    I won't defend most of these, but I hear "man up" as critical of immaturity, not sex. Like "don't be a child".

starting strength coach development program
    I have found the way to defeat the $70 haircut, the $20 haircut, even the $10 haircut by the local barber who makes everyone in town look the same.

A Wahl trimmer in the garage + a beard. Cleanup is with the leaf blower.