starting strength gym
Page 2004 of 2422 FirstFirst ... 1004150419041954199420022003200420052006201420542104 ... LastLast
Results 20,031 to 20,040 of 24219

Thread: Joined a new gym last night. Hilarious

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by snezhnika View Post
    I've been lurking here for a while, here's my contribution to the thread. There's more from my gym but these are the most ridiculous:

One day I was doing squats in the rack, and between sets a trainer comes up to me and says "You know, you probably shouldn't be doing squats like that if you don't want man legs. You should do your squats in the smith machine." I replied that given the fact that I'm a girl, I can do the same exercises as guys and still not look like them. He replied "Well yes of course of course... but you don't want to overdevelop your quads. Girls should squat differently to build their hamstrings and glutes." At this point I didn't bother saying that the lowbar squat is hamstring and glute dominant anyway... I just let the awkward silence speak for itself.

Today I was resting from the overhead press and I had two 0.5 kg plates on the bar. Another trainer and his client come up to me and say "Are those yours?" I nod. They start laughing hysterically. "They're so small! They're tiny! That's so funny! What tiny little weights!!!!!" They continue laughing as they walk away, and the trainer tells his client "She could just use collars, why such tiny weights?" And his client replies "Girls don't think of these things." Which is funny because I'm pretty sure the olympic collars they are talking about weigh 2.5 kg each. I proceeded to use my annoyance to fuel my deadlifts while they side-stared me awkwardly because my plates weren't so small anymore.

As a side note, most of the other patrons at my gym are cool and respectful, it's usually the trainers who come up with this crazy stuff for some reason.
    But at least you'll get to laugh hysterically back when you're squatting to depth double what all their trainees are half-squatting...including the guys...

shabu is offline Starting Strength App Developer

I've been lurking here for a while, here's my contribution to the thread. There's more from my gym but these are the most ridiculous:

Today I was resting from the overhead press and I had two 0.5 kg plates on the bar. Another trainer and his client come up to me and say "Are those yours?" I nod. They start laughing hysterically. "They're so small! They're tiny! That's so funny! What tiny little weights!!!!!" They continue laughing as they walk away, and the trainer tells his client "She could just use collars, why such tiny weights?" And his client replies "Girls don't think of these things." Which is funny because I'm pretty sure the olympic collars they are talking about weigh 2.5 kg each. I proceeded to use my annoyance to fuel my deadlifts while they side-stared me awkwardly because my plates weren't so small anymore.
    in reply you should have replaced weights with balls and collars with socks.

seriously though you should complain to management about them. nobody needs that shit while they're training.

Quote Originally Posted by zinedine kilbane View Post
    Actually 45kg/100lb plates do exist and they're badass Olympic Cast Iron Weight Plates - 100 lb Weight Plates + Pro Maxima
    The odds of a personal trainer in a commercial gym ever actually using badass plates is pretty much zero. Why use one plate when 5 bumpers can do the same job
    Yes! Should have gone with that...

Overheard as the "trainer"(doesn't look like she's ever trained, or exercised herself) at Lifetime was teaching a guy to "Bench Press":

Don't touch the bar your chest like that, we don't want to stretch the pecs--we'll do that with a different exercise.

I know you seem them touch the chest when bench pressing in the Olympics, but that's not our purpose today.

The elbows should never go below 90 degrees.

It doesn't matter where you put your hands.

There was much more, and I was trying really hard to not listen.

Today I was resting from the overhead press and I had two 0.5 kg plates on the bar. Another trainer and his client come up to me and say "Are those yours?" I nod. They start laughing hysterically. "They're so small! They're tiny! That's so funny! What tiny little weights!!!!!" They continue laughing as they walk away, and the trainer tells his client "She could just use collars, why such tiny weights?" And his client replies "Girls don't think of these things."
    Quote Originally Posted by shabu View Post
    seriously though you should complain to management about them. nobody needs that shit while they're training.
    Agreed, you don't have to put up with that shit.

Quote Originally Posted by allent View Post
    One hand on center knurl, other hand crossed over at the opposite hook...
    That must be how they do it in the Olympics(inappropriate comment intentionally omitted).

Quote Originally Posted by Ericmt View Post
    +1

I am in awe with how temperate and chill you all are... the countless stories of idiots with big mouths saying stupid shit, and all of you keep your cool up, and your mouths shut. I'd never be able to show that kind of restraint were I in your shoes... not that I'd fly off the handle, but I'd definitely call these douche nozzles out on their nonsense and bullshit.

Anyway - props to all of you.

One day I was doing squats in the rack, and between sets a trainer comes up to me and says "You know, you probably shouldn't be doing squats like that if you don't want man legs. You should do your squats in the smith machine." I replied that given the fact that I'm a girl, I can do the same exercises as guys and still not look like them. He replied "Well yes of course of course... but you don't want to overdevelop your quads. Girls should squat differently to build their hamstrings and glutes." At this point I didn't bother saying that the lowbar squat is hamstring and glute dominant anyway... I just let the awkward silence speak for itself.

As a side note, most of the other patrons at my gym are cool and respectful, it's usually the trainers who come up with this crazy stuff for some reason.
    Your gym is full of cocks. I was annoyed reading the about the first guy and even more reading about the 2 laughing at your weights... I'll bet they weren't lifting anything impressive

Quote Originally Posted by Ericmt View Post
    Indeed. As a woman, you should have told them to "suck my dick." Guarantee they wouldn't ever bother you again.

starting strength coach development program
    I was gone from gym for 2 weeks, came back and feel like things just went to pot. I find out that some Olympic lifters were mocking the powerlifter for low bar, a coach was trying to get lifters to activate their glutes, the new iron plates were being dropped...
    Then when I was training my comp deadlifts today, with another lifter who had just missed a squat, a coach came over to tell us that we didn't look like this was enough fun.

Ah, well right now this is kind of difficult for both of us.

Apparently no one will want to lift with us unless we are louder, cheer more, and get super excited.

I said this gym needs more heavy lifting and less birthday party. He argued that I could be more excited when training. Or no one will want to do this! (My classes are always full though.)

So I asked-do you mean people will want to do exactly what I do if it looks more fun? Yes!!

Well, I replied that I don't think there are actually many people in that gym willing to train like I do, fun or not.

Apparently that was all very mean of me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk