starting strength gym
Page 2209 of 2422 FirstFirst ... 1209170921092159219922072208220922102211221922592309 ... LastLast
Results 22,081 to 22,090 of 24218

Thread: Joined a new gym last night. Hilarious

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    I'm assuming you meant hips, not quads, in which case yes, pretty much. Greg Nuckols believes this is caused by weak quads, and has written some pretty good stuff on it. Not sure I agree with all of his conclusions, but he's got pretty solid models to analyze.
    Yep, was tired when I wrote that. Knees extending before hips

Not sure why that would mean weaker quads, but will check out Greg Nuckols. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The_GOAT View Post
    Just how in the hell did you suss out what is the correct way for a body to move? Why is the HBS "correct"?

Also, if you were to compare a max HBS and max LBS, the latter would be harder, because of more muscle mass. Like how a max deadlift is harder than a max wrist curl.
    I agree with that. Tried high bar for a few weeks a couple of years ago and noticed they were mentally easier than low bar. Felt like closer to being just a leg exercise than low bar

Edit: Greg Nuckols says it's due to weak quads because the hip extensors are being used more. Trying to picture it in my head, in a GM squat do they knees not extend first? That leaves you with straighter legs but still a closed hip angle. I don't know why weak quads would mean your hips extend late
    Last edited by Kregna; 01-05-2017 at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kregna View Post
    Greg Nuckols says it's due to weak quads because the hip extensors are being used more. Trying to picture it in my head, in a GM squat do they knees not extend first? That leaves you with straighter legs but still a closed hip angle. I don't know why weak quads would mean your hips extend late
    When I come to a stop on a grindy squat, I can get moving again by shifting my hips back. This extends the knees a bit but throws more work to the ass. If my ass can handle the extra load, I can complete an ugly rep and it proves my quads are the weak link.

If my ass can't handle the extra load, I fold up like a taco and fail, proving my hips and ass are equally weak. But this doesn't happen to me as often as completing an ugly rep.

There's less margin for this kind of ugly save with a high bar squat, leverage against the back/ass is worse. Folding up is more likely.

This is partly why I hate high bar even though it's how I squat right now to work around a shoulder problem.

Quote Originally Posted by cwd View Post

This is partly why I hate high bar even though it's how I squat right now to work around a shoulder problem.
    You hate it because it doesn't allow you to get away with bad form. Okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnivroar View Post
    Yes, HB seem less forgiving -- a rep I might grind through low-bar is a fail instead. Also HB squats tend to irritate my knees.

I keep stretching that shoulder, maybe someday I can go back to LB.

[edit -- I'm ignoring the implication that my form is deliberately bad. Carni's opinion of my squats is unimportant, he just likes to argue. I replied to share my HB vs. LB experience in case other novices were interested.]
    Last edited by Charlie Davies; 01-05-2017 at 06:24 PM.

Better buy one of these sweatshirts with built in wrist straps: Ultimate Lifting Sweatshirt ?????????? ? Reps Over Rest

All the bros will be jealous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I mean, isn't this why you stopped doing them? We've all seen the legendary 405 squat; you did it, but please don't tell us it looked good.
    Last edited by Satch12879; 01-05-2017 at 08:25 PM.

What. That's a thing now? But what happens when they wear out?

Which leads to disproportionally weaker quads and the more you do it, the worst it gets. That's why I don't like the LBBS. It reinforces, if not encourages, that movement pattern.
    Or we could squat right and not blame the movement for an inability to coach or lift. Something something hold the knees in place halfway down into the descent and keep them there as you drive the hips up. It's from that book that the website is named after.

If the knees extend before the hips and the hips move back, the knees have extended without moving the load as much as they could have and the moment arm at the knee has shortened while the moment arm at the hip and along the back has increased. Now the quads can continue to extend the knee while moving the load.

For high bar, the bar being positioned higher up on the back increases the moment arm along the back segment if the hips shoot back/the back angle becomes more horizontal, and that is harder to recover from than in a low bar squat.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasingCurls69 View Post
    If the knees extend before the hips and the hips move back, the knees have extended without moving the load as much as they could have and the moment arm at the knee has shortened while the moment arm at the hip and along the back has increased. Now the quads can continue to extend the knee while moving the load.

For high bar, the bar being positioned higher up on the back increases the moment arm along the back segment if the hips shoot back/the back angle becomes more horizontal, and that is harder to recover from than in a low bar squat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    I mean, isn't this why you stopped doing them? We've all seen the legendary 405 squat; you did it, but please don't tell us it looked good.
    Yes, HB seem less forgiving -- a rep I might grind through low-bar is a fail instead. Also HB squats tend to irritate my knees.

I keep stretching that shoulder, maybe someday I can go back to LB.

[edit -- I'm ignoring the implication that my form is deliberately bad. Carni's opinion of my squats is unimportant, he just likes to argue. I replied to share my HB vs. LB experience in case other novices were interested.]
    When I come to a stop on a grindy squat, I can get moving again by shifting my hips back. This extends the knees a bit but throws more work to the ass. If my ass can handle the extra load, I can complete an ugly rep and it proves my quads are the weak link.

If my ass can't handle the extra load, I fold up like a taco and fail, proving my hips and ass are equally weak. But this doesn't happen to me as often as completing an ugly rep.

There's less margin for this kind of ugly save with a high bar squat, leverage against the back/ass is worse. Folding up is more likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Kregna View Post
    Yep, was tired when I wrote that. Knees extending before hips

Not sure why that would mean weaker quads, but will check out Greg Nuckols. Thanks

I agree with that. Tried high bar for a few weeks a couple of years ago and noticed they were mentally easier than low bar. Felt like closer to being just a leg exercise than low bar

Edit: Greg Nuckols says it's due to weak quads because the hip extensors are being used more. Trying to picture it in my head, in a GM squat do they knees not extend first? That leaves you with straighter legs but still a closed hip angle. I don't know why weak quads would mean your hips extend late
    Cool, so we all agree that carni should eat the ghost pepper