starting strength gym
Page 2258 of 2422 FirstFirst ... 1258175821582208224822562257225822592260226823082358 ... LastLast
Results 22,571 to 22,580 of 24219

Thread: Joined a new gym last night. Hilarious

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Trying out a free 7-day trial at a local globo and didn't see much to report during my first visit, other than the well-known fact that very few people actually know how to squat and nobody squats much more than two plates. Deadlifts are fairly popular, but never more than two plates. Saw several overhead presses, all of them push presses.

Today there was a 20-something trainer and client, client sitting in the seated cable row while the 'trainer' set up a rubber strip (one of those with a handle at each end) around the foot rest and then back to the cable handle. Client rows away, clumsily trying to keep the ends of the band under control on the cable handles. I was waiting for the band to come off the footrest and smack the client in the face. Who comes up with this stuff?

Saw one of those Bane-type oxygen depleting masks for the first time.

Two girls on the ski team (college gym) got out a hex bar in the deadlift area and immediately loaded 45s on it today. I was ready to be impressed by them doing something comparatively hard to most of the women around. But then they started standing on the handles and using the damn thing as a wobble board. After a few minutes, the bigger one falls off and into a guy I think of as Steroid Bro #2. He was in the middle of a deadlift warmup at 405. He turns around and gives a big grunt-harumph. The girls quickly unload their bar and gtfo.

Quote Originally Posted by poser View Post
    How the hell did he bail on a squat that way?
    Used the springiness of the Olympic bar to bounce it off his back. Impressive.

Check out this bench press setup: Instagram

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know guys do it too, but my wife and I always joke about the long ass set ups that lady lifters tend to go through for every lift. This particular lady's ROM is not as small as I was anticipating with ALL THAT SETUP.

Has anyone found a way to explain to your bench spotters to let you grind through your heavy reps and not catch the bar at the first sign of trouble ? I'm running out of ways to say it.

I don't request a spot benching unless I'm going for a max single, which only happens 4-6 weeks apart. But what I do is look for a competent and strong looking recruit and request his assistance. Then I explain I am only going for a 1 rep single and would appreciate a lift off. I wait a few seconds while I watch him process this, and if he seems to understand, I move to the next phase. Before I get on the bench I explain that I may slow down and even stall, but ask that he not take a grip on it until I nod my head or say "help". It hasn't always kept them from grabbing the bar prematurely, but it so far has not had anyone shrug lift it up in assisting me.

Instagram

Impressive but I think it's stupid. Why take the risk? For some likes by people you don't know on the internet...?

Quote Originally Posted by kanahan View Post
    Has anyone found a way to explain to your bench spotters to let you grind through your heavy reps and not catch the bar at the first sign of trouble ? I'm running out of ways to say it.
    "Don't touch the bar, just be there for safety 👷"

starting strength coach development program

This is why women should stick to going to the gym for the sole purpose of being picked up by men.
    Last edited by Carnivroar; 03-16-2017 at 01:59 PM.