starting strength gym
Page 2299 of 2422 FirstFirst ... 1299179921992249228922972298229923002301230923492399 ... LastLast
Results 22,981 to 22,990 of 24218

Thread: Joined a new gym last night. Hilarious

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    Don't yell cues to people who haven't asked for it.
    Seeing as how both leader and #2 were yelling the same thing, I see no problem with it.

Quote Originally Posted by pstein View Post
    Seeing as how both leader and #2 were yelling the same thing, I see no problem with it.
    I've had training partners give me cues, but I would still be annoyed if someone else that I didn't know started talking to/yelling at me during my set. As a general rule, if someone doesn't ask you for help, don't give it.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

Quote Originally Posted by pstein View Post
    Think about it this way...how would you react if a gymbro started yelling in the middle of your DL set to start your hips lower? Why do you think gymbro would feel any differently if instead you were yelling cues to him in the middle of his DL set?

If I want lifting tips, then I ask someone; otherwise, I want to be left the fuck alone. Most people feel the same way.

Even if somebody yelled the proper cue to me, if I wasn't expecting it, I wouldn't be able to process it and implement it.

I'm fascinated by the notion of place-exercise connection in peoples' minds at my gym. For some reason, the fixed safety squat​rack at my gym is the go to place for anything that starts at hip height- hanging rows, curls, sometimes even deadlifts. I just watched someone wait 20 minutes for another person to finishing squatting so he could use it for three sets of three bb curls. There was an adjustable power rack and plenty of floor space open. I've seen similar things happen before, including one person getting super angry while waiting so she could do rows. Really weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Skander View Post
    I'm fascinated by the notion of place-exercise connection in peoples' minds at my gym. For some reason, the fixed safety squat​rack at my gym is the go to place for anything that starts at hip height- hanging rows, curls, sometimes even deadlifts. I just watched someone wait 20 minutes for another person to finishing squatting so he could use it for three sets of three bb curls. There was an adjustable power rack and plenty of floor space open. I've seen similar things happen before, including one person getting super angry while waiting so she could do rows. Really weird.
    People don't know that you won't instantly die if you pick stuff off of the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    People don't know that you won't instantly die if you pick stuff off of the floor.
    But they could use the power rack safeties. It's really this weird connection of the squat rack and those exercises. Like it's a machine with a limited number of uses and cannot be replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by poser View Post
    True, but it's a fucking 5 lbs weight. Unless your Clean and press is 3 lbs, there's no stability to be gained here. The point of the post was not the movement, rather it was the claim that there was spinal stability improvement taking place in the video. The same training effect could have been achieved while eating a bowl of cereal in the bottom of a squat.
    This would be harder than it seems (i know joking, but . . .)

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    This would be harder than it seems (i know joking, but . . .)
    I'm starting a new program called Crossfat that's mostly just mobilization and eating for time. Gotta keep the stomach confused.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    this.

ive concluded that most people are afraid of lifting things off the floor. so many guys in my gym use the fixed rack to do romanian deadlifts with with 95 - 135 lbs. the best part is that the weights are no more than 2 inches off the ground in the bottom, yet theyll take up 1 of only 2 racks in the gym for half an hour to do supersets of 95 pounds. its very infuriating.