starting strength gym
Page 2322 of 2422 FirstFirst ... 132218222222227223122320232123222323232423322372 ... LastLast
Results 23,211 to 23,220 of 24219

Thread: Joined a new gym last night. Hilarious

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    There is a trainer at my gym who has said something to me and another member about bench pressing with an arched back. This is the same guy, mind you, who has elderly women to behind the neck presses and RDLs with rounded backs. He's also a fan of the pull-up assistance machine where all of his clients have hyper extended backs.

Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    Lollll

He did not set up those chains well. Also, you don't need chains if you squat 2 plates.
    Exactly. :-) I guess it is one thing if you just do this stuff and record it, but when you have a "fitness" channel and probably coach people... ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by RJPinAZ View Post
    Never fails, see it all the time: 2 plate squat followed by 7 plate leg press.
    Yup, and usually the ROM is short on the leg press too. For some reason my gym's leg sled is actually harder, probably because it is rusty and old. If you can do 5 plates on each side with it, on the fancy leg sleds you can do more like 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
    Does anyone else get sad when they see the really earnest 1/4 squatter? It's not even funny when they don't know how wrong they are.

Yesterday, I saw a young lady who looked to be all business. She worse loose shorts,chalk on the back of her t-shirt,she even had lifting shoes...and then she did sets of weighted shallow knee bends. It was like seeing someone with their fly open, awkward for both of us.
    If someone is just quarter squatting, I usually just ignore it. Now if that person asks me for advice or asks me to look at their squat, then I say something. I try to break it to them nicely, but I always tell them to drop the weight and work on their form. We had a new guy join that just moved to the area. He was asking me about competing, and he wants to do it too. Then a couple of days later I saw him squatting sky high. I need to break it to him that those squats won't pass anywhere. I mean, these things would get red lighted in the IPA or whatever fed westside competes in.

Quote Originally Posted by callador View Post
    we had a new guy join that just moved to the area. He was asking me about competing, and he wants to do it too. Then a couple of days later i saw him squatting sky high. I need to break it to him that those squats won't pass anywhere. I mean, these things would get red lighted in the ipa or whatever fed westside competes in.

Quote Originally Posted by Callador View Post
    We had a new guy join that just moved to the area. He was asking me about competing, and he wants to do it too. Then a couple of days later I saw him squatting sky high. I need to break it to him that those squats won't pass anywhere. I mean, these things would get red lighted in the IPA or whatever fed westside competes in.
    I believe its the SPA. Southern Powerlifting Assoc . . . or something like that.

Something with the 'South' . . . I remember the South part

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    I believe its the SPA. Southern Powerlifting Assoc . . . or something like that.

Yeah, that one. Powerlifting Watch declared them outcasts last year or so and refused to promote or publish their meets.

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post

Yes, it used to be the SPF. But I believe they red lighted some squats, so I thought some of the top guys moved to the IPA (sometimes called High PA). The thing about these feds is that it varies from meet to meet. I went to an SPF meet once where they were ok about depth, even red lighting some squats for the normal lifters. But it seems like the elite guys get a pass. I saw one squat that was really high get passed, but on the same flight they were red lighting squats that were high but much lower. The squat at my gym was higher than the Hoff one you see on the internet.

This was from a IPA meet, Hoff squatting 1270:
    Last edited by Les Hahn; 07-17-2017 at 07:15 PM.

[/b]

I thought you might like this if you really wanted to up your game. Forget RPE, this is the real deal! :-)

*I like the towels shoved in there, but the real Hoffster used boards under his bench shirt at a meet.

edit: or maybe it was a towel...

Last edited by Les Hahn; 07-17-2017 at 07:23 PM.

All white lights from me. Not sure what the controversy was about? Westside lifters could win any raw meet if they chose to enter. They just don't wanna.

All white lights from me. Not sure what the controversy was about? Westside lifters could win any raw meet if they chose to enter. They just don't wanna.
    Uh, I hope you're joking... you're joking, right?

Look, WSB has some very strong guys, who are strong both in and out of gear. No debate from me there. But, if you force them to compete in a USAPL (IMO, the only legitimate federation) meet with full drug testing, I doubt they'd win. Be competitive, almost certainly. But not likely win. These guys are not competing in the USAPL, IPF, hell, even the USPA. They're competing in federations known for lax officiating standards. If they're the great lifters they claim to be, they should compete in federations that have stricter officiating.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by pstein View Post
    Uh, I hope you're joking... you're joking, right?
    This is no joking matter. /s