starting strength gym
Page 2363 of 2422 FirstFirst ... 136318632263231323532361236223632364236523732413 ... LastLast
Results 23,621 to 23,630 of 24219

Thread: Joined a new gym last night. Hilarious

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    My week at the gym.

The bad: So my gym is mostly pretty good. Racks can be hard to come by at times, but most people are squatting, pressing, deadlifting so I don’t mind waiting for people doing real lifts. But there’s always a few people. Came in the other day and racks were full but being used properly. So I started with deadlifts and benching, periodically checking over only to see that the racks are still full. Near the end of this, I look over and new people are in the racks. One guy is in there doing stretch kicks. As far as I can tell he never actually touched the bar, just occupied the space swinging his legs in the air. Another is doing wrist curls in the rack. Thankfully the third one was open so I could finally do my work.

The “I’m not sure if this is actually a thing”: Saw someone doing something like a half squat at the other end-doing the bottom half of the motion. He went down to depth, then came back up to about ¼ of the way from the top.

Another one I’m not sure about: the plates are the ones that have the 3 holes in them around the outside. Saw someone squatting with their hands through the holes on the plate rather than on the bar.

The scary: someone had a seizure and nearly fell into the bar of someone who was deadlifting.

The good: I squatted 225 for the first time-not much in the grand scheme of things admittedly but still feels like a big moment. Plus my girlfriend deadlifted 200 for the first time.

Speaking of misuse of racks.

Some kid was in the gym the other day. He just did bench dips, push downs and triceps extensions. For his grand finalé, he took two barbells to one of the racks, made a great fuss of crashing the pis into place and then placed the barbells across the pins as a makeshift dip station. He proceeded to do a bunch of half reps before giving up when he couldn't control the inevitable roll of this ridiculous set up.

I say ridiculous because he carried the barbells past the two custom made dip attachments that have recently been made specially for the weight room. At least four other dip stations are available in the main hall along with pairs of gymnastic rings for those who like to live dangerously.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisd View Post
    Speaking of misuse of racks.

Some kid was in the gym the other day. He just did bench dips, push downs and triceps extensions. For his grand finalé, he took two barbells to one of the racks, made a great fuss of crashing the pis into place and then placed the barbells across the pins as a makeshift dip station. He proceeded to do a bunch of half reps before giving up when he couldn't control the inevitable roll of this ridiculous set up.

I say ridiculous because he carried the barbells past the two custom made dip attachments that have recently been made specially for the weight room. At least four other dip stations are available in the main hall along with pairs of gymnastic rings for those who like to live dangerously.

sort of like this?

I guess so, except the rack Rip demonstrates is purposefully made TOO NARROW compared to most regular power racks, so there's nowhere to roll.

Yeah ow I can see how that wouldn't work in a typical deeper rack.

You fools.

These are dip equivalent of benching with the bamboo bar (tsunami bar?) ...with the plates hanging from the bands.

Glad to Rip finally accepting the stability aspect applied to training.

The health benefits of lifting heavy weights | Well+Good

An article titled "Why lifting heavy weights is the best workout you're probably not doing" includes the following

"Here’s what I mean by heavy versus light weights, by the way. Five and eight pounds are light weights, then up to 12 pounds is medium, and 15 and above is heavy."

As seen on this very web site...

O8OLFeY.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by I_iz_a_fatass View Post
    As seen on this very web site...

O8OLFeY.jpg
    Google AdSense, now with AI irony...

starting strength coach development program
    Not really a gym story: My son is 13, but still sees the same doctor from when he was a baby. He had a doctor's visit, and when the guy (who claims to be a former wrestler) commented on how strong he looked, my wife mentioned that my son is lifting weights (he's less than 10 workouts into SS). The guy recommended that he lift no more than 10 pounds. He's at about 0.6, 1.1, and 1.5 times his body weight on the press, squat, and DL with a huge upside, so he told me that he just agreed and smiled inside.