starting strength gym
Page 2392 of 2422 FirstFirst ... 13921892229223422382239023912392239323942402 ... LastLast
Results 23,911 to 23,920 of 24219

Thread: Joined a new gym last night. Hilarious

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by ithryn View Post
    Adding weight above him? Well clearly that increases the gravity of the bar, it ever so slightly helps pull him up.
    LoL
    Really liked that joke.

Quote Originally Posted by BigViffer View Post
    Need some help people - I showed a friend the video that poser linked to yesterday. He thought it was the most insane thing he had ever seen. I told him about the guy that literally appears to be mentally unhinged and recording deadlifts in a courtyard or patio with incredible round back and awful hitching. I think he also passed out on one set. Then we he woke up he was rambling incoherently to the camera. As if that video wasn't bad enough, he started a website detailing his training. I think it was medieval "based" training. Or primitive, or primal... I really cannot remember.

Does any of that sound familiar?
    Found it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?time_co...&v=oEubkbxlNgM

He doesn't pass out, nor does he babble in this video. However, he has a ton of videos and he does talk quite a bit in those. Also has a website!
    About – Urban Primalist

Found it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?time_co...&v=oEubkbxlNgM

He doesn't pass out, nor does he babble in this video. However, he has a ton of videos and he does talk quite a bit in those. Also has a website!
    About – Urban Primalist
    Holy moly. That dude is legitimately nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Jenkins View Post
    Holy moly. That dude is legitimately nuts.
    Did you watch any of the other ones?

YouTube

Unhinged is the word you're looking for.

Thosugh to be honest, the guy is far stronger than I am. So maybe I'll just keep quiet.

My son is studying abroad and likes to text from the university (Auckland) gym. It’s usually stuff like “Guys next to me are rack pulling 1 plate” and “All the 3 benches are all full of guys benching 50kg - can’t they work in and use 1?”.

The most recent one was the best -

Big alan thrall Viking looking dude and a chick are working out together, I'm doing squats. Racks are like ours, extra hooks for outside of rack OHP. Girl walks up behind me and says "mind if I grab the back of your rack?" and the guys says "Jesus, at least ask his name first!" - Gym in 20ft radius erupts in laughter

Did you watch any of the other ones?

YouTube

Unhinged is the word you're looking for.
    I tried. What a loony.

Another strange tale from the globo. This one starts almost a year ago. I saw a guy doing low-bar squats, and there was something different about him. His form was near perfect, good depth. The only thing was he was doing 60 pounds. So I figured he was doing SS NLP, and talked to him a bit. When he recommended adding 5 pounds per workout, I figured for sure he was doing SS.

Six months later, I saw him again, and he was again exhibiting great squat form, but with 65 pounds. I just figured he had an injury and must have just restarted the NLP

Today, I saw him again, squatting 65 pounds again. It seemed hard to believe that he again had restarted the NLP at the exact time I happen to see him?

Now I don't fault anyone for using light weight, but it is so strange that someone with such excellent form doesn't seem to be adding weight to the bar. Maybe I actually did catch him the two times he had restarted NLP? It's just odd.

Quote Originally Posted by autumnal View Post
    Today, I saw him again, squatting 65 pounds again. It seemed hard to believe that he again had restarted the NLP at the exact time I happen to see him?

Now I don't fault anyone for using light weight, but it is so strange that someone with such excellent form doesn't seem to be adding weight to the bar. Maybe I actually did catch him the two times he had restarted NLP? It's just odd.
    What a stubborn bloke.

starting strength coach development program
    I hadn't actually been to a commercial gym for some time and recently decided to venture out to a few just in case I had some equipment malfunction that would prevent me from working out in my garage gym for an extended period of time.

Visited 4 different gyms, only 2 had squat racks. The others were a sea of cable machines, treadmills, and an endless rack of dumbbells, the heavier side of which was noticeably dust-laden.. Depressing. Is this really what people expect when going to a gym?

One of the two with a squat rack looked really promising online. The damn gym's logo is a barbell. My hopes were high, but alas, there were only two small squat racks in the far back corner (with no barbells, I might add). Essentially just a wannabe hardcore gym with the aforementioned cable machine/treadmill spread.

The last one had my hopes high, especially because there were dance classes and pools that my wife and kids could make use of while I lifted. There was the obligatory row of treadmills, cable machines etc., but this particular gym actually had a nice cozy corner of barbell equipment. Four different Rogue racks, nice bars, and a full set of bumper plates with a padded floor. Could my quest have actually yielded a worthwhile alternative to my home gym?

Sadly, it was the patrons of this particular gym that ultimately drove me away from membership. All four, repeat - all fucking four - of these beautiful, pristine, expensive Rogue squat racks were being used for none other than chin ups (applied loosely here) and curls. CURLS.

In addition, apparently the only barbell move that anyone outside of SS ever places any emphasis on is the god damned snatch. People with torsos the size of my calves are throwing 65 lbs over their heads over, and over, and over again. Who does 20 fucking snatches in a row? (P.S., there was a CrossFit "box" embedded in this gym just down the hall). YOU ARE NOT AN OLYMPIC LIFTER. And not every Olympic lift ends with a squat. If you clean or snatch the weight and then do a squat, you do not understand the purpose of the squat in this movement. STOP.

And who teaches these people that every fucking Olympic lift ends with throwing the barbell onto the ground as hard as possible? What pisses me off about these people is that if this were their equipment, they'd never treat it this way. You're not hardcore, you're not a "beast", you're an asshole.

Fortunately this has all be persuaded me to invest in quality equipment for my home gym. I hope I never have to come here to lift.