starting strength gym
Page 2398 of 2422 FirstFirst ... 13981898229823482388239623972398239924002408 ... LastLast
Results 23,971 to 23,980 of 24218

Thread: Joined a new gym last night. Hilarious

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Update from Japan. Yesterday, a 70 year old bald guy dressed in beige pajamas spinning nunchucks around pretty skillfully in the heavy bag area. No idea if this is legal here.

Another guy comes in 3 times a week, maybe more and does the 'big three', the same way every time. Of course, probably weighs no more than 150lbs.
    Bench: Loads the barbell up to about 160kg. lifts it off the pins, rear end flailing in the air (hardly seen touch the bench here, all mad crab like balancing activity) vaguely seems to twitch his elbows in what might be construed as a downward movement (hard to tell with the naked eye) and returns it to the pins. 3 singles here.
    Squat: Similar to the above barbell probably with 200kg on - bar on back of the neck, as with the elbows above - there is a vaguely downward twitch before the bar goes back on the pins. Again, 3 or so singles here.
    Rack pull/shrug? Again enormous amount of weight put on the bar so that it is bent ridiculously, at a pin position near knees - then proceeds to hoik it up about an inch or so before it goes crashing back to the rack. Repeat about three times.

Well, he's "handling" serious weight I suppose... I can't believe he actually thinks he is getting stronger or achieving anything. I have seen him wrestling in the boxing ring with another member a number of times (might have been with nuchuck man, I forget). He got pinned and destroyed everytime I saw him.

Quote Originally Posted by jintyo View Post
    Update from Japan. Yesterday, a 70 year old bald guy dressed in beige pajamas spinning nunchucks around pretty skillfully in the heavy bag area. No idea if this is legal here.

Another guy comes in 3 times a week, maybe more and does the 'big three', the same way every time. Of course, probably weighs no more than 150lbs.
    Bench: Loads the barbell up to about 160kg. lifts it off the pins, rear end flailing in the air (hardly seen touch the bench here, all mad crab like balancing activity) vaguely seems to twitch his elbows in what might be construed as a downward movement (hard to tell with the naked eye) and returns it to the pins. 3 singles here.
    Squat: Similar to the above barbell probably with 200kg on - bar on back of the neck, as with the elbows above - there is a vaguely downward twitch before the bar goes back on the pins. Again, 3 or so singles here.
    Rack pull/shrug? Again enormous amount of weight put on the bar so that it is bent ridiculously, at a pin position near knees - then proceeds to hoik it up about an inch or so before it goes crashing back to the rack. Repeat about three times.

Well, he's "handling" serious weight I suppose... I can't believe he actually thinks he is getting stronger or achieving anything. I have seen him wrestling in the boxing ring with another member a number of times (might have been with nuchuck man, I forget). He got pinned and destroyed everytime I saw him.
    Please provide video of nunchuk man. Sounds awesome. lol

Since there hasn't been much activity on this thread in a while I thought I would report on what I've seen lately. About a month ago I had to pick up a buddy who'd dropped his car off at a local body shop. While I was waiting I noticed a gym called Athletes Advantage on the other side of the parking lot. What caught my attention was several nice looking soccer mom types going in and out of the place, then I noticed a large tractor tire of to one side of their lot. Eventually, a tall, rather thin but kind of muscular guy comes out, along with three young women, two averaged sized, and one chubby girl. He sends the chubby girl across the street to run sprints on a grassy median, despite the fact that it's about 95 degrees out and the girl is dressed head-to-toe in black. I keep expecting her to fall out, but she chugs out 6-8 sprints of about 15-20 yards, and comes back across the street. Meanwhile, he has the other two ladies hitting the tire with what looks like 20lb sledge hammers, only they appear to be swinging them in slow motion. When they connect it doesn't even make a sound. Chubby girl gets a few whacks in on the tire, and they all go back inside. It made me wonder, what the Hell did they actually accomplish with all that, other than getting a little sweaty? Maybe I need to go back and apply for a job as a trainer??

Load up the leg press with more than 500 pounds
    Throw a towel over the machine, walk away for 5 min.
    Come back, sit down in the machine, do crunches in the seat
    Walk away for another 5 minutes
    Come back, put on gloves for some reason, sit down, do 1 set of 3 "reps" at less than 1/4 the proper range of motion, pushing your knees with your hands.
    Walk away, don't put the weights back.

I've said it before...but it bugs me so much I'll repeat. People who don't put their weights back (and with some semblance of order) should be shot. maybe too strong...but at least they should be banned from the gym. But I guess then globo gyms wouldn't have any paying clients... Ironically in most black iron gyms I've been in, people are very good about reracking their weights (in an orderly fashion). But maybe that is because people don't open black iron gyms solo to make money...most do it as a service (hoping to make some money) but because they love lifting...and tend to attract like minded clients. Side note: black iron gyms who also dual cater to power lifts and body builders....have these same problems in my experience. cross fitters seems to clean up at end at least.

I got an odd one today - I'm just cooling down on a treadmill and I keep hearing a "thunk" from the corner where the Smith machine is located. One thunk and this real pretty guy in matching shirt/pant exercise outfit and gloves with the velcro strap that goes across the back of the hand. But of course the straps are loose because that looks cool I guess. Guy is kinda short, maybe 5'8". He keeps "thunking" and then coming over to watch the news a bit, goes and does another "thunk". Once my show is over, I get off the treadmill and walk over to the TV to get the angle to see what this guy is doing.

He's got a stack of aerobic steps in the smith machine that he stands on so that he is at the highest safety catch and he is doing "heavy" shrugs. Or rather, shrug. Just one. At what looks like 160. Bar is nothing, but you know what I mean. The bar is only moving maybe 3 or 4 inches from mid thigh to waist. On a smith machine. WTF?

Nothing too special in the way of dumbassery goes on in my gym, but every now and then, there are certain things.
    The popular move right now is to take a pair of big kettlebells, say, 20kg or so, and a pair of the big, thick, grey rubber bands. Each KB gets a rubber band wrapped around its handle several times, in order to make another 'handle'.
    Farmers walks are then done across the gym and back, the giant KB's boinging up and down.
    I will admit to lightly trolling; "Hey, if you did lunges with those, you'd be even MORE unstable!". Nobody's tried it yet. I almost feel like I have to. For broscience.

Quote Originally Posted by Erok View Post
    Nothing too special in the way of dumbassery goes on in my gym, but every now and then, there are certain things.
    The popular move right now is to take a pair of big kettlebells, say, 20kg or so, and a pair of the big, thick, grey rubber bands. Each KB gets a rubber band wrapped around its handle several times, in order to make another 'handle'.
    Farmers walks are then done across the gym and back, the giant KB's boinging up and down.
    I will admit to lightly trolling; "Hey, if you did lunges with those, you'd be even MORE unstable!". Nobody's tried it yet. I almost feel like I have to. For broscience.
    Seems perfectly reasonable.

yeah.... the bamboo bar with KBs hanging off the ends with bands? right?

I think that's a Louie Simmons innovation that caught on...

YouTube

From the best I can tell, Nathan Damaron is just goofing around.

Whereas Simmons is completely dead serious... "pendluating chaotic oscillating effect" or PCOE as we call in the trades.

starting strength coach development program
    My favorite is the skinny bros being taught the finer points of reverse grip bicep curls by a slightly less skinny bro.

Then there's the pair of guys who come in and do many sets and reps of flat, incline and decline bench, never once getting within 4" of their chest. Heaviest I've seen them do is 185.