starting strength gym
Page 2400 of 2422 FirstFirst ... 14001900230023502390239823992400240124022410 ... LastLast
Results 23,991 to 24,000 of 24218

Thread: Joined a new gym last night. Hilarious

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm not sure if this one has been posted yet but damnnnn!!!!! Leg press- 1, leg press hero- 0.

YouTube

Yeah but squatting is bad for your knees, bro.

WTF? Is that for real? Surely its a spoof.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee F. Stewart View Post
    WTF? Is that for real? Surely its a spoof.
    Must be a lot of people pulling this as a prank then, because there are many videos like this out on the interwebz.

I don’t know what that thing is called when you hold a plate and do side bends. This guy was doing them in the gym tonight. But that’s not the weird part. The strange thing was that he kept moving around to different parts of the gym to do them. He did one set near the Smith machine, then another by the squat rack, then one by the curl station... I guess he just really wanted to be seen. I think he did a half lap around the area by the time he was done.

This was following a solid half hour of curls. Of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Y View Post
    I don’t know what that thing is called when you hold a plate and do side bends. This guy was doing them in the gym tonight. But that’s not the weird part. The strange thing was that he kept moving around to different parts of the gym to do them. He did one set near the Smith machine, then another by the squat rack, then one by the curl station... I guess he just really wanted to be seen. I think he did a half lap around the area by the time he was done.

This was following a solid half hour of curls. Of course.
    He was searching for the spot with the highest gravity anomoly.

Bottom half shoulder presses on the standing calf raise machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dillon Spencer View Post
    Bottom half shoulder presses on the standing calf raise machine.
    AKA pin[head] presses.

Default dumb trainer tricks (people-watching at the gym)

(I'm not sure where in the forum to put this.)

Training at my local Y, I couldn't help but observe two guys working out near me. My impression was that the younger guy had asked the older guy to whip him into shape. The trainer had the trainee doing alternating sets of pushups and situps. This was going on when I walked in and continued through my entire squat warmup and work sets. The trainee was exhausted, his range of motion in the pushups had dropped to about six inches. He was pounding the mat in frustration. When he could not go on the trainer would punish him with wall sits.

After the trainer's sadistic impulses had been satisfied for a half-hour or so in this fashion, he began to teach the trainee to deadlift, exhaustion/frustration being the best mental state in which to learn a new movement.

I badly wanted to catch the trainee alone and tell him, "The goals of training are 1) get stronger (or improve whatever attribute you are trying to improve) over time; 2) not get injured; 3) not hate it so much that you quit. The goal is not to get your ass kicked or feel like shit--and it is a lot easier for a trainer to kick your ass than to make you better consistently over time."

I did later see the trainer squatting 295, high bar, some ugly rounding in his back but almost to depth. Which is sort of impressive for a wiry dude weighing maybe 170.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by tompaynter View Post
    (I'm not sure where in the forum to put this.)
    Joined a new gym last night. Hilarious