starting strength gym
Page 2407 of 2422 FirstFirst ... 14071907230723572397240524062407240824092417 ... LastLast
Results 24,061 to 24,070 of 24218

Thread: Joined a new gym last night. Hilarious

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Prine View Post
    Does anyone watch Gym Fails on youtube? If not, I'd recommend. You'll either laugh or get really angry.

Reminds me of the George Carlin quote, "Think of how stupid the average person is. Then realize half of them are stupider than that!"
    its weird that last one, of the guy doing rack pulls is marc stuebing i believe. (9:35)

those pull aren't even that cringy, and at least he sets the bar on the pins relatively soft (unlike others i have seen).

you could've picked any other of his <LIFTS> and it would of been ten times more hilarious.

Today I became a member of a highly prestigious and much sort after club. Membership is hard to obtain, and once a member, we are signed up for life.

Yes, today, I split my shorts while squating. Not just a little tear, but a full front to back gapping hole showing all other gym goers my very fashionable grey Y fronts.

I didn't have anything else to change into and had just done my first set of heavies, so throwing care to the wind I continued my sets some sniggering was heard, but the other clientele consisted of "bro's" so I didn't care as one guy was wearing what I could only fathom to be orange rubberised gardening gloves.......

I wish I was joking

This morning I watched a guy unrack 155 on the bench, let it fall onto his ribcage (still in his hands), bounced it, caught it halfway up and fought to lock it out while almost rolling off the bench. No spotter or safeties. He got his single, I guess.

While this was indeed very impressive, it was not nearly as impressive as the guy who would do the same with 185 for sets of 8, and even more weight on the decline bench. I haven't seen him in a year though. Sometimes I wonder where he went.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaimi Kuenzli View Post
    This morning I watched a guy unrack 155 on the bench, let it fall onto his ribcage (still in his hands), bounced it, caught it halfway up and fought to lock it out while almost rolling off the bench. No spotter or safeties. He got his single, I guess.

While this was indeed very impressive, it was not nearly as impressive as the guy who would do the same with 185 for sets of 8, and even more weight on the decline bench. I haven't seen him in a year though. Sometimes I wonder where he went.
    More frightening than hilarious was the guy loading up the bar to 205 for bench, then using suicide grip. I hate watching that. Hilarious part was the fact that the bar never got closer than 6" to his chest. Also kind of funny was the guy on the bench holding 135 in the lockout position for about 30 seconds or so. He was like that when I walked in, so no idea what he might have been doing before that and he racked the bar after and didn't do anything else. Is there any benefit from holding a weight like that? I would think pretty much all the weight is just being held up by bone.

Just witnessed a super bro hex bar deadlift so histrionically that one of the plates fell off the sleeve midset.

Glad I found this thread again.

The other day I had to wait for a young guy to do rows (everybody always does rows in the squat rack in China for some reason). First he loaded up the bar with 65 pounds, which he pulled with great - and more importantly, audible - exertion towards his belly eight or so times. Then he jumped to 95 pounds and did the same thing, not quite getting there. At last, he loaded twenty more pounds on the bar, strapped up, and - clearly suffering tremendously - moved it up and down about three inches four times. It was a heck of a sight to watch - I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone in the gym put so much strain into so little work.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Y View Post
    Glad I found this thread again.
    Agreed, it's funny and ego-inflating at the same time.

Some impressions from commercial gyms. Luckily, I train at home now.

- The weirdest "exercise" I've ever seen anywhere: Two boys around 18 or so were doing a strange lift with around 40kg on the Olympic bar. I had no idea what they were trying to do, but I could still see they did it wrong (yes!). I thought it might be a sort of unsuccessful power clean attempt, or messed up upright rows, or reverse power-curls with a shrug at the top, or failed pendlay rows with too uprioght back angle.... I honestly had no idea. So I went over and asked the guys what the name of that interesting exercise was. Turned out it was called the "deadlift". (I'm proud to this day that I kept a straight face)

- I was doing heavy doubles on the squat when an elderly man approached me and kindly informed me that the weight was too heavy because I need to do more reps. I should work in the 15-20 rep range, BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT DR. FRED HATFIELD DID, and do I even know who that is, and he! knew! about! squats! so I better do 20 rep sets now. I smiled and thanked him and continued my workout.

- I was doing close grip bench when a dude came up to me and told me I could do more weight if I took a wider grip. Yes, thank you.

I do t have anything to crazy... I'm now in my garage working out. But my first year at a gym was definitely interesting.

Was at a rec center with a friend of mine working out and had a guy but in and throw a hundred different cues for us to work on. I just stood there trying to comprehend it. I still don't know what he was talking about.

I was back in the globo-gym to accompany my wife so she could enjoy some elliptical time. While I have my rack and bar in the garage, we haven't added one of these contraptions just yet....

It was almost comforting to watch a mid-40's bro work through his squats while I help my wife with some light recovery exercises for her back. As is often the case, the ROM got less and less as the weight went up. 185 looked close to parallel, 225 was a solid 1/3 squat, 275 nearly maintained made a 1/4 squat and 315 barely broke at his hips and knees. He did of course do five "reps" of each....

Also thrilling to see, the myriad of curl variations. Apparently the old trend of using the legs and hips for curls is alive and well!

Once again confirmed how much more satisfying it is to walk out to my garage, turn on my music and lift without all the nonsense....

starting strength coach development program
    A husband/wife workout duo were in the gym doing circuit training. She was directing the chaos. They took up 2 of the 3 bench stations, 2 flat benches in the dumbbell area, 2 pull up bars and randomly 2 spots for mats that seemed to be intentionally positioned to be in the way despite there being a dedicated area for floor work. When doing exercises for time they were ~20 feet apart and she would give him a count down for when to start then yell GO! The gyrations then went into overdrive. Neither of them managed a legit rep at anything. The pull up attempts never got half way up despite kipping. Bench presses (he was doing 95#, she 55#) went down just far enough to get the arms parallel with the ground. Their mat exercise was hip thrusters for time. It was mildly irritating but highly entertaining.