starting strength gym
Page 2413 of 2422 FirstFirst ... 1413191323132363240324112412241324142415 ... LastLast
Results 24,121 to 24,130 of 24218

Thread: Joined a new gym last night. Hilarious

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    The lifter doing the “deficit” RDLs was doing them with normal ROM, but was standing on a couple of plates, one of them a bumper plate.

Quote Originally Posted by Dillon Spencer View Post
    Was looking for a flat bench to use, and they were all occupied, one with the most batshit crazy assortment of plates I've ever seen. Some clown had each side of the bar loaded with a 45, five 10s (!!!), two 5s, and then a 25 on the outside.
    This is pretty common in China. A friend of mine asked someone why they chose to load five tens on a bar instead of using the big plates, and he essentially said, “It feels cooler this way.” Fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by danomite! View Post
    What is the fascination with upright rows in the smith machine?
    I’ve actually never seen this before. How would that even work?

All the guys at my gym upright row with the curl bar. You can’t load upright rows too heavy, so it’s a good way to get some plates on it and feel cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Williams View Post
    Walked into the hotel gym and saw two guys "deadlifting" with a bar attached to the crossover cable machine, to their credit it was the only form of weight in the "fitness room."
    Again, how? Had they tied knots?

Quote Originally Posted by RJPinAZ View Post
    The lifter doing the “deficit” RDLs was doing them with normal ROM, but was standing on a couple of plates, one of them a bumper plate.
    Yeah, I actually saw the same thing and made a post about it a little while back. Adam Skillin replies, and I guess this is something legitimately strong people do sometimes to get a little extra range of motion on their RDLs, and then all our friends at the gym go to copy it.

Glad to see this thread making a comeback. I’m going to try to figure out how to attach a bar to the cable station between my sets tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Y View Post

Yeah, I actually saw the same thing and made a post about it a little while back. Adam Skillin replies, and I guess this is something legitimately strong people do sometimes to get a little extra range of motion on their RDLs, and then all our friends at the gym go to copy it.
    That was the confusing part, even though she was standing on plates, there was no added ROM. Just an RDL while standing on plates.

Genius trainer has 65-year old women squatting up (no weight) from an 18” box, while standing on a couple of inflatable pillows.
    #Functional

Was waiting for a rack the other day, and a guy asked me if I wanted to work in. He only had 115 on the bar, and I prefer not to socialize at the gym, so I told him I didn't mind waiting. He was fairly insistent though, and my plan was just to do some tempo squat triples to start sorting out a back tweak. I caved because I wasn't even sure how much weight I was going to use, and figured I might as well just toss some plates on this guy's bar and see what happened. I recognized all the other folks occupying racks, and they were gonna be a while anyways.

I watched him do a set. Fahve reps. High bar, but maybe he just didn't know any better. Thought maybe he was just starting The Program (or maybe StrongLifts). Got to talking, and NOPE! He was working on 10x5 at 30%, because the tonnage works out all the same. Taking 4 minutes rest between sets too, because obviously those 30% sets are pretty gruelling. That's why he was so insistent on letting me work in, because he knew he'd be tying that rack up for the forseeable future. I ended up settling on 255 for my tempo squats, doing two sets during each of his rest breaks. I made the mistake of mentioning that I was just doing some rehab work to get my back feeling better, and he told me he's a physiotherapist. He then expounded on his training philosophy, which had him all the way up to a 1RM of 350, after 10 years of barbell training, while looking like your chubby accountant.

I know we talk about stuff like this all the time, but it just knocked me out. I know physiotherapists don't necessarily know shit about barbell training, and plenty of gym goers don't know shit about human physiology, but I would hope that a physiotherapist who's been barbell training for 10 years would have managed to put 2 and 2 together in that time. Apparently not.

I was in the rack getting ready to grab the bar for my final squat warmup the other day when I heard, “Oh, are you using this?” I turn my head and this guy has taken the collar and thirty pounds off one side of my barbell! I responded, “Uh, YEAH! What do you think you’re doing?” Apparently he thought I was finished using the rack because I wasn’t standing in the physical rack (off to the side, about three feet away) and hadn’t done a squat for almost two minutes (I timed it). Regardless of what I said, he didn’t seem to grasp the seriousness of what he’d been doing, so I was just left fuming the rest of the session.

This was the stupidest thing I saw in the gym that day, but apparently I had just missed a real treasure. Here in China, we often get loud guys on roids shouting catchphrases in the gym. Up until right before I came in, one of these philosophers had been shouting the following three phrases ad nauseum: “I want be a die! Fuck the bar!” And “Fucking!” (The gerund only, never the infinitive.) Not only was he shouting these things during his own sets, but he was also helpfully motivating anyone who happened to be doing a set. It seems he told my girlfriend and several other women to “Fuck the bar!” over the course of about an hour and a half. I’m surprised he left the gym with all his teeth still in his mouth. I’m pretty sure I was told that at one point he also told someone “The bar is for fucking.” Whatever, Guy, you do you, just be sure to wipe everything down afterwards.

I have another exercise I need explained. Chrome dumbbells in the arm, arm bent at ninety degrees like you’re going to do half a curl, but instead of that you rotate the weight out so you look like a lowercase t and then back in. What is this supposed to do and why? Or failing that, where are people getting this from?

I have another exercise I need explained. Chrome dumbbells in the arm, arm bent at ninety degrees like you’re going to do half a curl, but instead of that you rotate the weight out so you look like a lowercase t and then back in. What is this supposed to do and why? Or failing that, where are people getting this from?
    You mean this? YouTube

Standing external rotation is prescribed by physios for rotator cuff rehab. The same exercise done lying on the floor is more popular though.

The eternal question: Where do people come up with these myriad ways to avoid getting strong?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by RJPinAZ View Post
    The eternal question: Where do people come up with these myriad ways to avoid getting strong?
    Getting strong is hard. What’s worse, it can be humbling. I’ve missed reps that the entire gym has seen / heard before. Yesterday Mr. Loudmouth was challenged by his entourage to lift my friend’s working weight for deadlift. By saying he used to do that but quit because it doesn’t build muscle, he was able to save himself the embarrassment of not being able to lift the bar off the ground in front of his peers, as well as himself, and continue doing 100-pound T-bar rows for the rest of his days.