starting strength gym
Page 2416 of 2422 FirstFirst ... 1416191623162366240624142415241624172418 ... LastLast
Results 24,151 to 24,160 of 24218

Thread: Joined a new gym last night. Hilarious

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I workout at work or in my garage so I don't often get to experience the wonders others see within this thread. The kiddos are playing in basketball leagues at the local YMCA and I'm there a couple times a week watching them. There is a small group (3-4) of what appears to be a branch of a crossfit cult that uses part of the gym for their workouts. They did all manner of silly BS but the one that stood out to me was what I'll now refer to as Swiss ball thighmaster metronomes. The leader of the group was laying on his back with his legs in the air and bent 90 deg at the knee. He had a swiss ball gripped between his knees. He would then move the ball back & forth from 10:00 to 2:00 in line with his body (no side to side motion). I wasn't sure what he was doing but I'm not so sure he knew what he was doing either. Maybe it works some obscure ab muscle that no one outside of his cult knows about.

Quote Originally Posted by MiddleMike View Post
    Got a vivid reminder of why I train in my garage and not at the Globogym anymore this past week. Timing was such that the globogym fit my schedule to stay on track for training. As usual, watched a group of Bro's doing 1/4 squats for sets of 20 with no visible work, but their new variation of deadlifts was something totally new to me. They went straight to 225, no build up, did one set of 3-4 and then.... started alternating sets swapping a 25# plate from one side to the other for "unbalanced" lifts. Honestly one of the silliest ideas I've ever seen. The real gem though, was listening to Bro#1 explain to his pal, that his buddy was a trainer at some college and they really focused on unbalanced lifts to build balance and agility. It made absolutely no sense at all if you asked even simple questions... Anyone else seen this new trend of "unbalanaced" lifts?
    Hmmm, "unbalanced lifts" = "lifts for the unbalanced (mind)?"

Quote Originally Posted by MiddleMike View Post
    Got a vivid reminder of why I train in my garage and not at the Globogym anymore this past week. Timing was such that the globogym fit my schedule to stay on track for training. As usual, watched a group of Bro's doing 1/4 squats for sets of 20 with no visible work, but their new variation of deadlifts was something totally new to me. They went straight to 225, no build up, did one set of 3-4 and then.... started alternating sets swapping a 25# plate from one side to the other for "unbalanced" lifts. Honestly one of the silliest ideas I've ever seen. The real gem though, was listening to Bro#1 explain to his pal, that his buddy was a trainer at some college and they really focused on unbalanced lifts to build balance and agility. It made absolutely no sense at all if you asked even simple questions... Anyone else seen this new trend of "unbalanaced" lifts?
    As silly as this appears, I think I'm more offended by the fact that they repeatedly moved the 25 from side to side rather than just approaching the bar from the opposite side...

Saw something different yesterday at the globo. I'm going to call it Squat Walkouts 2.0. A thick guy walked out 145lbs. Then he stood there, and swung his hips forward quickly press 2.0-style. At first I thought he was going to lift the bar overhead doing a behind-the-neck-overhead-press-2.0, but the bar never left his shoulders. As his hips came back, he'd bend a little at the waist, in a kind of 1/16 good morning. Then he'd repeat the whole abomination several times and re-rack. Maybe it was just some kind of vertical hip thruster?

spinal compressive confusion

Funny story about dropping weights in the original Gold's Gym. Joe Gold had a real pet peeve about it and he didn't give a shit who you were.

"Lou Ferrigno: Nobody could drop his weights in the gym. One time I dropped a dumbbell. He was like, “Yo, Louie, get outta here, you fat fuck.” Even today, if someone drops a dumbbell, I get upset because I learned from Joe."

As an older guy, I’ve never been a fan of the gym, even in my 20s, when I went a few times with my buddies and first encountered gym “brah”, who would walk up to me uninvited and start preaching to me “No, brah, do these for size” , then proceed to demonstrate some ridiculous movement which was superior to what I was doing...or gym “ Hercules”, you know this guy...nowhere near any weights or machine, over in front of the mirror, posing while gulping Gatorade or the latest synthetic protein drink, who, the second that I approach the bench or other weights that he’s nowhere near, comes unglued and starts yelling about how “ Hey man, I’m still using that!”....who then proceeds to walk over, draw several theatrical breaths, grasps the bar and does one rep while exuding a loud guttural Neanderthal scream, slams the weights to the floor, and walks back to the mirror to continue his self admiration. The $500 I have invested in my cheap half rack and weights are the best money I’ve ever spent...

The garage gym has served me well during these "unprecedented times". It is definitely a change of pace from my gym at work. Some of the more comical experiences:

-Changing a shitty diaper between sets.
    -Having my lifting partner swipe my collars for his 85# DL (he's 5 and weighs 46# lol).
    -Yelling at kids to get out of the way before every set.
    -My 3yo daughter yelling at the neighbor's dog to shut up (it barks constantly at everything when it is outside).
    -Making PB&J's between sets.

Best of all getting to spend the extra time with the kids.

Guest appearance in deadlift video: YouTube

Working out at home is blissful.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by PuliMorgan View Post
    Guest appearance in deadlift video: YouTube

Working out at home is blissful.
    Here's a still from my most recent squat workout.

VideoCapture_20200627-193253.jpg