starting strength gym
Page 912 of 2422 FirstFirst ... 412812862902910911912913914922962101214121912 ... LastLast
Results 9,111 to 9,120 of 24219

Thread: Joined a new gym last night. Hilarious

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Saw someone today hitting his own chin with a barbell doing some sort of overhead press. Almost threw him off balance.

Of course it was me, who else would be doing standing overhead presses in the gym I go to?

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Hakvoort View Post
    Saw someone today hitting his own chin with a barbell doing some sort of overhead press. Almost threw him off balance.

Of course it was me, who else would be doing standing overhead presses in the gym I go to?
    I've done that, too, trying to get closer / more efficient in the overhead press.

At the gym today: a damp and slightly bloody bandaid affixed to the power rack, next to the wads of gum. So that's why that rack was free!

A week or so ago somebody left gum on one of the better bars in the gym. Fuckin douchebags

So there's this one fellow gym-goer that has tried multiple times to convert my style of squatting (as instructed in SS; low bar, ATG) to trying out squatting above parallel with knees that move forward of the toes and are too close for actual glute and hamstring recruiting. He's your typical bodybuilder type that does too many half-reps, at too heavy a weight to control, with too many variations with each exercise.

He shows me how to squat "properly" and that because of his style, he supposedly can squat more weight than I can, doing 265x8 half reps vs. my 245x5 ATG squats. Keep in mind I weigh 150lbs on a good day and he must be at least high 180's, if not more.

Anyways, I told him to pick up a copy of SS so that he can avoid injuring himself and so he can attempt an actual squat one day. Haven't seen him for a few weeks, since our last conversation.
    Come to find he tore is ACL, squatting like he always does, and now requires surgery and should be out 8-12 weeks, not to mention much longer to regain his strength.

It's sad that he injured himself, as I would not wish that upon anyone. But to think this could have been avoided if he only listened to my recommendation instead of being so stubborn and believing in his superior style.

Irony at its best RTN

Quote Originally Posted by ktang View Post
    I've done that, too, trying to get closer / more efficient in the overhead press.
    +1, I hit my nose on the way up - didn't quite hurt as much as the potential embarrassment thinking that others were watching, who was I kidding, nobody watches the guy in the squat rack... they are all to busy watching themseves in the mirrors, thanks mirrors, i owe you one...=)

Quote Originally Posted by toonttm View Post
    nobody watches the guy in the squat rack...
    Depends, when you squat 600lbs for reps they watch! (Not me, a guy I train with).

Quote Originally Posted by RTN View Post
    So there's this one fellow gym-goer that has tried multiple times to convert my style of squatting (as instructed in SS; low bar, ATG)
    Im not sure SS instructs to do ATG squats? At least it didnt in 2nd Ed.

Also RE hitting yourself in the face: not as bad as when you lift a bar out of the rack not realising it doesnt have cuffs on and you pick it up slightly at an angle. Plates fly off on one side, BANG and then see-saw and fly off the other BOOM.

Awkward look around at everyone staring at me. "I know what im doing here honest!"
    Last edited by StrongLiftMyBalls; 05-21-2012 at 02:37 AM.

It's all relative, Balls. When gyms are made up of 90% people not squatting even with no weights at all, and 9% people doing quarter-squats with the barbell plus a wheel a side and the pad, anything below parallel is "arse to grass."

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Bart Hakvoort View Post
    Saw someone today hitting his own chin with a barbell doing some sort of overhead press.
    Done that, and the nose too, and more than once to boot. One day when I was particularly inspired, I also tried to single-handedly help my dentist to replace his Porsche by grazing my chin during a Jerk. The potential consequences of a deviaton of just a few millimeters does not bear dwelling upon.

Come to think of it, using 'single-handedly' and 'jerk', in the same sentence is possibly not a great choice of words.

IPB