starting strength gym
Page 1409 of 2422 FirstFirst ... 4099091309135913991407140814091410141114191459150919092409 ... LastLast
Results 14,081 to 14,090 of 24218

Thread: Joined a new gym last night. Hilarious

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Yesterday at Teh Gymz: Guy doing "power cleans," which are actually spazzed-out hip thrusting reverse curls. No big deal, right, we've all seen that. But this guy took it up a notch. He was doing them on the EZ-Curl bar. Loaded with a 35, then three 5s on each side. Wearing workout gloves.

Pretty sure he caught some sweet gainzzzz.

Quote Originally Posted by 16bit View Post
    ...where the fuck do these dimwits come from?
    This is a good one. It makes me think of Ignatius J. Reilly from A Confederacy of Dunces, when he breaks down the door at the "political" party he was invited to.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveHH View Post
    The worst is when they pull them together and check themselves out, even when they're 50 feet away from a mirror.
    This has caused a primitive instinctive reaction in my mind "what the fuck is this guy looking at?" when I look up and see somebody behind me looking what appears to be straight at me in the mirror. I then usually realize that they're just flexing and checking themselves out.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Yesterday at Teh Gymz: Guy doing "power cleans," which are actually spazzed-out hip thrusting reverse curls. No big deal, right, we've all seen that. But this guy took it up a notch. He was doing them on the EZ-Curl bar. Loaded with a 35, then three 5s on each side. Wearing workout gloves.

Pretty sure he caught some sweet gainzzzz.

Interesting fact (or not so interesting): gloves are permitted equipment in weightlifting competitions.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Rogers View Post
    Interesting fact (or not so interesting): gloves are permitted equipment in weightlifting competitions.
    So is mascara, but I ain't wearing it.

Really? Does anyone at a high level use them? Seems it would be a disadvantage in most cases.

That's convenient, actually. Because you can use your matching purse to hold your ammonia caps and chalk.

So after loads of time spent "catching up" on this thread, I figured everything that I've witnessed at my gym has been seen before... until the other night. No it was not the huge guy who stacked plate after plate on the leg press (including on top, where it promptly fell off), or the fact that his spotter (yes for the lock lever on the machine) missed the moment and watched his pal fold up that needs mention. Nor was it the Curlbro "squatting" four plates a side for all of two inches of depth.

But when the trainer guided the newbie into the smith machine, flipped over the bosu ball and had her "squat" standing on the ball, I just about lost it. It must have been the full moon to bring it all out on one night!

Quote Originally Posted by MiddleMike View Post
    But when the trainer guided the newbie into the smith machine, flipped over the bosu ball and had her "squat" standing on the ball, I just about lost it. It must have been the full moon to bring it all out on one night!
    The Smith machine and the bosu ball go together like the ying and the yang: the stability of the Smith machine, combined with the instability of the bosu ball, are like the earth above your head and the air under your feet.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Corrie View Post
    Really? Does anyone at a high level use them? Seems it would be a disadvantage in most cases.
    Some lifters use gymnastic style palm guards, a large amount use tape to protect hands. Ever used a competition fresh Eleiko? Sharp as fuck