starting strength gym
Page 103 of 517 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113153203 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 5163

Thread: Garage gyms

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Power cleaning inside a cage is an act of courage, if not lunacy. That said, I've done it. You won't be able to go after a weight that you'll potentially miss in an uncontrolled manner.
    No room for the ol' starfish feet. Go crooked a bit and hit the rack. And I hope your plates don't bounce much and rebound off the uprights when you fail ugly.

This sounds like a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by iamsmuts View Post
    No room for the ol' starfish feet. Go crooked a bit and hit the rack. And I hope your plates don't bounce much and rebound off the uprights when you fail ugly.

This sounds like a bad idea.
    I don't usually clean inside the rack (but I have done so), but I don't have much room for ugly misses outside either, so I don't miss ugly. This is not the optimal situation.

I don't usually clean inside the rack (but I have done so), but I don't have much room for ugly misses outside either, so I don't miss ugly. This is not the optimal situation.
    I guess it might help work on precision. I saw this video supposedly documenting Froning's workout routine. The guy did something like 75 at 225 and kept the exact same form, not moving more than in inch or so from the initial spot. Perhaps he managed this by practicing in an electrified power rack.

Power cleaning inside a cage is an act of courage, if not lunacy. That said, I've done it. You won't be able to go after a weight that you'll potentially miss in an uncontrolled manner.

I'm wondering what's the worst that can happen.

You hit the rack rails on the way up?
    You fall forwards or back and hit the rails, unable to recover standing position due to limited space, and go down hard with the barbell?

Any cautionary videos/tales out there? (Maybe I'll be the first to make one.)

My bar path is pretty straight, but if I wreck where I clean now, I my living room, I might fall back into a table, wall or chair or forwards into my rack.

Cleans haven't worried me up to this point, but I don't think I'd want to do snaches or C&J, I could more easily envision a wreck with the higher (overhead) bar position.
    Last edited by John Watson; 08-04-2015 at 10:25 AM. Reason: more words

Quote Originally Posted by John W View Post
    I'm wondering what's the worst that can happen.
    You hit the rails on the way up?
    You fall forwards or back and hit the rails, unable to recover standing position due to limited space, and go down hard with the barbell?
    Any cautionary videos out there? (Maybe I'll be the first to make one.)
    My bar path is pretty straight, but if I wreck where I clean now, I my living room, I might fall back into a table or chair. Cleans haven't worried me up to this point, but I don't think I'd want to do snaches or C&J, I could more easily envision a wreck with the higher (overhead) bar position.
    I dunno. I just spotted an old thread here:

power clean in a power rack?

You can't really drop the bar safely in the rack. The plates might hit the supports that connect the uprights. But, ya, dropping the bar is a luxury. . .

You can't really drop the bar safely in the rack. The plates might hit the supports that connect the uprights. But, ya, dropping the bar is a luxury. . .
    One advantage of having a terribly weak power clean is you don't feel any need to drop the bar at all. Ask me how I know.

I don't drop the bar, partly due to my weak cleans, and partly because iron plates.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...mswafe9qsDMkyg

If you drop the bar in the rack and it lands on the pins and you bend their bar, you'll be changing gyms whether you want to or not. Do not clean in the rack.

The pins will would not be in the rack for a clean, nor would the hooks, so maybe I could get away with it.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by allent View Post
    You can get away with it until you don't. Lots of people bench alone without safties, for years.
    I'm just trying to understand the main risks. Bench press I get.