starting strength gym
Page 341 of 517 FirstFirst ... 241291331339340341342343351391441 ... LastLast
Results 3,401 to 3,410 of 5163

Thread: Garage gyms

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi guys, finally got a decent power rack coming soon. Similar to an RML-390. I'll get pictures in due course.

When assembling should I torque the bolts to anything specific or is it just tighten them up as much as you can?

Quote Originally Posted by CrouchingWayne View Post
    Hi guys, finally got a decent power rack coming soon. Similar to an RML-390. I'll get pictures in due course.

When assembling should I torque the bolts to anything specific or is it just tighten them up as much as you can?
    These are precision driving machines. Just get it snug. I doubt that you could compress 11 gauge steel with a normal wrench. But don't try. There's just no need to get it that tight.

I've gone snug on a couple racks and they have never come loose. Tight and then pull hard for a quarter turn or a little less. Most rack hardware seems to come with lock washers. (I don't know the proper name.) They help.

fwiw, I have a couple bolts intentionally loose on my Titan HD, as one of the cross braces is not perfectly square. If I go too tight, the rack goes out of square. Kind of irritating. But the slight looseness hasn't caused any issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate9 View Post
    Hi guys, I am looking to get a bench made by a welder, something like pic related

So, from what I can tell the top is a 3/4″ piece of wood, 12″ wide and 48″ long, the feet are as wide as the top and it has a lengthwise brace halfway down the legs.
    How do you think the part where the wood is placed should be made? Also does the base have to be as long as the top?
    If someone has plans or had a bench made I would appreciate any advice, thanks.
    One random pet peeve of mine is when you can't roll a dumbbell under the bench. That's the only consideration I'd have with that cross member.

Quote Originally Posted by Skander View Post
    One random pet peeve of mine is when you can't roll a dumbbell under the bench. That's the only consideration I'd have with that cross member.
    That's a good point. I have a bench like that. I hit my shins on it when moving it around and I can't roll a dumbbell when doing rows. I have to setup two. Irritating.

Quote Originally Posted by iamsmuts View Post
    That's a good point. I have a bench like that. I hit my shins on it when moving it around and I can't roll a dumbbell when doing rows. I have to setup two. Irritating.
    I just leave it on the same side and turn around and face the other way.

Quote Originally Posted by WackyRig View Post
    Genius!

Quote Originally Posted by WackyRig View Post
    Yeah but then the setup isn't quite the same on rows so I move it from one end to the other. It's stupid that I care, but that's why I said pet peeve. I've also seen plenty of benches without the cross bar so that's the design I'd emulate.

Quote Originally Posted by Skander View Post
    Yeah but then the setup isn't quite the same on rows so I move it from one end to the other. It's stupid that I care, but that's why I said pet peeve. I've also seen plenty of benches without the cross bar so that's the design I'd emulate.
    I care too. I don't want to have to dance.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate9 View Post
    Hi guys, I am looking to get a bench made by a welder, something like pic related

So, from what I can tell the top is a 3/4″ piece of wood, 12″ wide and 48″ long, the feet are as wide as the top and it has a lengthwise brace halfway down the legs.
    How do you think the part where the wood is placed should be made? Also does the base have to be as long as the top?
    If someone has plans or had a bench made I would appreciate any advice, thanks.
    I built mine out of 4x4 wood and some angle iron. Your dimensions are correct. A few notes:

- use void free plywood (appleply or marine grade ply) for the bench
    - have 2 cross braces and a rail down the back of the bench (a giant 'I').
    - use angled cross braces at every right angle (top and feet). Triangles = strong, squares = not as strong.
    - as mentioned, don't run a low rail the length of the bench.
    - new foam was ridiculously expensive. Look for a used camp pad at goodwill or Craigslist.
    - quality, durable fabric is also pricey. Look in the remenants bin at the fabric store.
    - use lag bolts or ledger screws for the legs if you build out of wood

Greg

starting strength coach development program
    Here's a close up of my bracing strategy.

And the overall bench:

Greg